Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Wild06/08/2020 22:50:46
29 forum posts
20 photos

Thanks chaps. But bother, Werner, why didn’t I think of that solution ☹️

Phil McAvity06/08/2020 23:16:25
22 forum posts

A bit of history.

When a fire appliance is at station and available for calls the expression is that it's, "On the run". This is a term from the days of horse drawn pumps, when the pump was placed on an inclined "Run" to give a bit of extra momentum from a standing start so the horses could get to speed a little quicker.

Nice model BTW.

Speedy Builder507/08/2020 09:03:57
2077 forum posts
145 photos

I had a great uncle who was in the voluntary FB of Rochester Kent. There wasn't a phone in the house, but a bell connected to the station. Depending upon the bell sequence, he knew which way the engine would pass and wether he could wait for the engine or hop on his bike to go to the station.

He was also a blood donor where he took the higher of 2 beds and the recipient took the lower. When uncle was a bit pale, they stopped the transfusion. Matching was done by mixing the two bloods on a slide and seeing what happened !!

Bob Wild08/08/2020 23:27:20
29 forum posts
20 photos

I love those stories of real people in the old days. look at my first post and the link to the Model Engineer from 1908 and the fascinating things you can do with this new fangled electricity.

Anyway, I carried on before getting Werners suggestions and plugged the holes. I cleaned then up and they look like new.

No more posts for a while, as Mrs W wants to go off social distancing in the caravan !!!

bottom cover plugged holes.jpg

Edited By Bob Wild on 08/08/2020 23:30:36

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest