Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Need to know about iPad 'air'

We need to get someone into a zoom meeting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Stevenson25/06/2020 20:30:31
555 forum posts
7 photos

Who 'out there' knows about the iPad models please. My clock club needs to get someone into a zoom meeting next week (Wed) and it has been suggested that a refurbished iPad 'Air' could b ewith us by then for about £150 using one of many sellers on ebay.....

There is a broadband connection and wifi router in situ to connect to so we don't need a model with built in router... Can anyone suggest a good ebay seller and anything to watch out for/questions to ask etc.......I have never seen an iPad 'air' close up in the flesh, a sfar as I know! So, way out of my depth here!

John Haine25/06/2020 20:53:50
4170 forum posts
242 photos

You would need to check that the iPad operating system is recent enough to support the zoom app. I know that some of the video calling apps are not supported on older OSs. The Zoom webpage should specify what versions of iOS are needed and the ipad seller should be able to say what version is installed.

Maurice Taylor25/06/2020 20:58:55
198 forum posts
36 photos

A laptop would be better as the screen is bigger.My wife used an ipad for her slimming club Zoom sessions and then decided to try her laptop which is a lot better Hope this helps.

John Haine25/06/2020 20:59:34
4170 forum posts
242 photos

I just checked actually and an iPad Air should have iOS 12 if kept updated, Zoom only needs 8 so should be fine.

Martin Connelly25/06/2020 21:02:51
1888 forum posts
203 photos

I have had Zoom meetings with my daughter with me using a Windows 10 laptop and her using an Apple computer. So I can confidently say that Zoom is platform independent. Use anything for the meeting.

Martin C

Edited By Martin Connelly on 25/06/2020 21:03:13

Neil Wyatt25/06/2020 21:49:07
18776 forum posts
733 photos
80 articles

You might  can get a new android tablet for less?

Bear in mind you can use Zoom on a phone or a desktop/laptop.

If its a one off meeting and you can access a wifi connection, why not use an old android phone (someone will have one in a drawer) I don't think it needs a sim in but even if it does you can get a PAYG one for £10.

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 25/06/2020 21:49:46

Vic25/06/2020 22:17:20
2912 forum posts
8 photos

An iPad Air will be fine for Zoom. You could use a phone but it’s very limiting as you would expect from such a tiny screen.

Don Cox25/06/2020 23:14:04
55 forum posts

Google "valve spout oiler" I have two for 32 & 68 grade oil which work well on both the the "flush" and grease nipple type oilers as fitted to Myfords.

Enough!26/06/2020 01:24:53
1719 forum posts
1 photos

oops! laugh

John Haine26/06/2020 09:02:47
4170 forum posts
242 photos

Just to reiterate, it isn't just a case of the hardware, the operating system on the iPad needs to be recent enough to support Zoom. iOS8 at least is needed, so if you get a refurbished one make sure that it is updated. Apparently by the time the Air was discontinued they were up to v12 so it should be OK.

Nick Clarke 326/06/2020 09:09:10
1253 forum posts
50 photos

Although at home I have been working online with several Zoom or Teams meetings per week.

I do use an iPad Air, it is on the table in front of me now, but for these meetings it is not ideal as it has to be held steady and you can't easily take notes - a Laptop/MacBook/Chromebook or even a webcam and headset on a desktop is far easier to use and the other participants can be distracted by a wobbling image that is suddenly put down as the person writes something down if the iPad is chosen.

I have sent you a PM

Oldiron26/06/2020 09:43:08
850 forum posts
23 photos

My wifes iPad Air is used for Zoom meetings several times a week. It is on V12 and will no longer update.

I use a 9" Android which cost £75 2 years ago and is perfect for Zoom.

I would not pay that price for the ipad Air as it is so out of date now. Better buying a new Android for much less.

edit  Not sure how you would refurbish an iPad apart from giving it a clean and possible new screen ?

regards

Edited By Oldiron on 26/06/2020 10:10:52

Bob Stevenson26/06/2020 10:32:48
555 forum posts
7 photos

Thank you so much to all who have responded...your inputs have been invaluable as it has enabled me to ask the right questions and check vital details.....

Epping Forest Horology Club is now heavily engaged in 'zoom life' and one of our tutors needs to be involved but his wife is in hospital with their iPad (which only she knows how to operate!) Our other 'experts' are all using iPad 'air' so it's sort of predisposed that we now need the same machine.

Thanks again for the excellent help.....I knew I could count on all you kind people!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
BOLDON
JD Metals
walker midge
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest