Overseas Distribution to restart

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Wyatt21/07/2020 20:45:31
18994 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles
Posted by Jan B on 21/07/2020 18:42:09:

Received my first issue of ME number 4642 here in Sweden since Covid started yesterday.

I still don’t know how to get access to the digital copies. A friend told me he had to call subscription office in UK to be able to get his access. He is very god at computers and tried to help me but failed. It will not be the end of the world if I don´t get an access, I am happy ME is back. I have had a subscription since 1974 and still enjoy every copy.

Stay safe and let’s hope we will be back to normal conditions soon.

Jan

Hello Jan,

The subscription number in your profile expired in 2017.

You need to update your profile with your current subscription number.

You will then be able to access the archive by clicking 'magazines' on the green band at the top of the page.

You may need to install or enable a flash player.

If you are concerned about missing issues leaving you with an incomplete collection, email me as we may be able to sort something out for you.

Neil

neil.wyatt@mytimemedia.com

Neil Wyatt21/07/2020 20:50:44
18994 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles
Posted by Versaboss on 20/07/2020 22:58:14:
Posted by JasonB on 20/07/2020 18:22:30:

Tim, all subscribers who did not get the mags were given free access to the digital versions plus the whole of the rest of the digital archive.

Jason, it would be VERY nice of you if you could explain in detail how we all, which miss MEW 293 and 294, can get access to these digital versions. Does somebody over there REALLY know that we didn't get them? At least I, as a 'paper' subscriber, have heard nothing from MTM. That they are unable to supply the missing paper issues is a shame. To the left from the 'Editor's Bench' there is a tel. nr. and website for 'current and back numbers'. Is that futile?

A bit miffed greetings,
Hans

Hello Hans,

You should have received an email message explaining the situation; basically our worldwide distribution system was completely suspended.

We have been trying to do our best under very difficult circumstances. The magazine industry in the UK has seen lots of job losses and titles failing completely due to Covid-19 - Q Magazine will have its last issue soon, for example, so I am grateful that we still have a magazine to produce.

Our default position is to suspend subscriptions and extend them so you get the same number of copies, because of the complexity of dealing with thousands of individual subscribers across many countries, all with different circumstance.

If you are very concerned about missing issues leaving you with an incomplete collection, email me as we may be able to sort something out for you.

Neil

neil.wyatt@mytimemedia.com

John Olsen21/07/2020 22:29:20
1241 forum posts
94 photos
1 articles

I'm a bit miffed by the whole thing too, my ME collection is now complete from WWII up to a couple of months back. I just received 4642, the last one before that being 4635. So I am missing 6 of them, one of them including an article I wrote. I can tell you that they did better during World War 2, despite the ME office being bombed out and ships being torpedoed. As you might imagine, magazines were not a priority cargo at the time, and yet most of them made it out here, 12000 miles away.

During the lock down, I made a few mail orders over Ebay, they have made it all here, apart from one where the Chinese supplier found they were unable to ship the item and refunded me immediately. Ok, there were delays, but international shipping did continue to work. I don't see why the magazines could not have been put aside after printing, and delivered later when things settled down. As it is, we are now faced with trying to get hold of back issues, which are liable to be in short supply.

John

Tony Watson 522/07/2020 04:40:05
3 forum posts

Neil, can you please advise if copies of MEW 283 and 284 were sent to Australia for distribution by local newsagents.

Thanks

Tony

Neil Wyatt22/07/2020 15:36:50
18994 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles
Posted by Tony Watson 5 on 22/07/2020 04:40:05:

Neil, can you please advise if copies of MEW 283 and 284 were sent to Australia for distribution by local newsagents.

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

I'm sure they were, that was a year ago and well before the current covid situation.

If you visit mags-uk.com/browse-by-title/model-engineers-workshop.html you can still get 284 as a back issue. They do deliver to Australia. It looks like 283 is now out of stock.

Neil

Neil Wyatt22/07/2020 15:44:34
18994 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles
Posted by John Olsen on 21/07/2020 22:29:20:

I'm a bit miffed by the whole thing too, my ME collection is now complete from WWII up to a couple of months back. I just received 4642, the last one before that being 4635. So I am missing 6 of them, one of them including an article I wrote. I can tell you that they did better during World War 2, despite the ME office being bombed out and ships being torpedoed. As you might imagine, magazines were not a priority cargo at the time, and yet most of them made it out here, 12000 miles away.

During the lock down, I made a few mail orders over Ebay, they have made it all here, apart from one where the Chinese supplier found they were unable to ship the item and refunded me immediately. Ok, there were delays, but international shipping did continue to work. I don't see why the magazines could not have been put aside after printing, and delivered later when things settled down. As it is, we are now faced with trying to get hold of back issues, which are liable to be in short supply.

John

Hello John,

The problem is we use a single agent to fulfill all overseas orders. When distribution halted, we would have had to find a bespoke solution for each individual country. Just putting them in the post and hoping was not an option as we expected a sizeable and unknown proportion would not get through, with no reliable way of knowing exactly what had and hadn't arrived. With most of the office staff on furlough, the only practical option was suspending overseas subscriptions.

A problem with putting magazines to one side in bulk is that advertisers won't pay for space in copies in issues that may not be delivered for six months or more.

If you are very concerned about missing issues leaving you with an incomplete collection, email me as we may be able to sort something out for you.

With thousands of overseas subscribers we can't do a bespoke solution for everyone, but we are able to help a few.

Neil

Jan B22/07/2020 19:13:41
43 forum posts
11 photos

Hello Neil,

Thanks for the information.

I have sent you an email.

Jan

Tony Watson 522/07/2020 23:17:46
3 forum posts
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 22/07/2020 15:36:50:
Posted by Tony Watson 5 on 22/07/2020 04:40:05:

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

I'm sure they were, that was a year ago and well before the current covid situation.

If you visit mags-uk.com/browse-by-title/model-engineers-workshop.html you can still get 284 as a back issue. They do deliver to Australia. It looks like 283 is now out of stock.

Neil

Hi Neil

Sorry, I meant MEWs 293 and 294. Were they sent to Australia?

Tony

duncan webster24/07/2020 12:19:41
3945 forum posts
63 photos
Posted by John Olsen on 21/07/2020 22:29:20:

John

John, you have a pm

Versaboss24/07/2020 12:53:32
486 forum posts
57 photos

Ok, I was away from home for a couple of days, and something has happened in between.

It must be clear now that the missing MEW issues had been edited and printed, they just did not make it to the post office. First hint was the post from Mr. Dias Costa, stating that he managed to byi these issues. So I started searching around and found - just to the left side from the Editor's bench! - a line in the imprint with a web address for 'Current and back issues'. : www.mags-uk.com. I don't know if this is part of MTM, at least it was never mentioned in this thread. So I went there and could place an order for the two issues I miss, and as the order was accepted I hope I will get them some day.

My thanks goes to Neil, he at least wrote that he could do something also. I suppose this is not necessary now. But this email story he mentioned: I never got an email from MTM - until last Tuesday, 21/7.,when the ball was already rolling here. It came from a Ms. Kate Parkes, email customer services, stating: " I'm sorry to read that you haven't been receiving your magazine. I have arranged for replacement copies to be dispatched, please allow up to 10-14 days for these to arrive within Europe and up to 28 days for the rest of the world."
So it seems that in a couple of days I will mot only have the missing issues, but TWO of them... I just hope there is not a subscriber getting nothing because of that. In case, he can write me...

Here we have a saying: where there is a will, there is a way. But sometimes the will is missing...or working very slowly at least.

Regards,
Hans

Hopper11/08/2020 04:29:27
6215 forum posts
321 photos

Issue 295 just arrived in my mailbox today here in deepest North Queensland, Oz.

A welcome return to normality!

Simon Collier11/08/2020 21:55:35
454 forum posts
63 photos

I got issue 4642 over three weeks ago, leaving a six issue hole in my 15 year collection, but nothing since. I see little point in resubscribing now that my collection is incomplete.

DGL17/09/2020 11:35:15
1 forum posts

I've subscribed to the magazine for many years. Lately I find that access to my digital subscription keeps bringing up an error message " I'm sorry but we can't process your request at this time (bad referrer)" .

Has anyone else had this problem? I have contacted the publishers but so far no response.

JasonB17/09/2020 13:12:28
22603 forum posts
2643 photos
1 articles

DGL, have a look at the replies by Neil and myself in this thread

peezee13/10/2020 18:18:25
2 forum posts

If I may weigh in on this problem.

I recently contacted the publishers to ask when the missing issues of ME and MEW I have on prepaid subscription, a total of 8 in all would be sent. The reply was no, they won't as we have run out of copies, but as compensation we will extend your subscription by one issue.

Digital access is difficult in my situation and though appreciated is not a substitute for what I have already paid for and that has not been fulfilled. Very disappointing as others have found.

Two other UK subscriptions I have, have their issues received on time and uninterrupted!

regards,

Paul Z

Oldiron13/10/2020 19:29:30
963 forum posts
40 photos

My old aunt in the USA subscribes to several UK mags (not ME or MEW) and she tells me there has been no interruption to her copies arriving by post so far.

regards

Jeff Dayman13/10/2020 21:23:24
2223 forum posts
47 photos

Just FYI Here in Canada I have received several UK edited and printed magazines (not ME or MEW) I subscribe to, continuously without interruption, throughout the pandemic. In fact I received the November issue of Engineering in Miniature just today, and a motorcycle mag last week, by mail from UK.

My local bookstore, where I bought ME and MEW for years, pre-Covid, has had no ME or MEW mags since February 2020.

This is not the ME or MEW editors' fault, I am not criticising the editors. It is an indication that someone in the parent organisation publishing and distributing these mags needs to do a whole lot better. Note to these people - your competition can produce good quality mags in the middle of a global pandemic, and get them all the way to Canada. I do not understand at all why your organisation can not do the same. Some asses may need to get off some chairs to do it though. Wakey wakey.....

Before the moderators jump in and suggest the digital option, I have tried this back in the editor D Clark days and a) it never worked satisfactorily b) content appeared and disappeared without warning or apparent reason c) I have trouble reading on a phone screen d) cost when billed was FAR more than I agreed to e) editor and tech staff of the mags of the time never fixed any of the issues I had, so NEVER AGAIN.

Hope this stays up a while before I get banned for it.

Versaboss13/10/2020 22:22:01
486 forum posts
57 photos

peezee, I went through the same problem. But quite by accident - because it is NEVER mentioned here in this forum - I discovered that all surplus mags go to an (unrelated to MTM?) organisation called www.mags-uk.com .
There is a small link on the second page of MEW (at least usually, I think).
Through this firm I could get the two (in my case) missing numbers, although I had to pay them again. But it was worth for me.

Kind regards,
Hans

JasonB14/10/2020 07:06:46
22603 forum posts
2643 photos
1 articles
Posted by peezee on 13/10/2020 18:18:25:

If I may weigh in on this problem.

I recently contacted the publishers to ask when the missing issues of ME and MEW I have on prepaid subscription, a total of 8 in all would be sent. The reply was no, they won't as we have run out of copies, but as compensation we will extend your subscription by one issue.

Digital access is difficult in my situation and though appreciated is not a substitute for what I have already paid for and that has not been fulfilled. Very disappointing as others have found.

Two other UK subscriptions I have, have their issues received on time and uninterrupted!

regards,

Paul Z

Paul, all overseas subscribers have had their subscriptions extended so if for example you misses 5 issues of ME your subscription has been extended for 10weeks eg 5 issues so you will only get what you have paid for. (same in Versadoss case) In addition you will have been given Free access to the Digital archive while shipping was suspended so although you may be missing the paper version for your collection you will not have missed content.

Jeff, there is no need to just read the mag on a phone you can use a tablet or PC or even a large screen smart TV . Do you only follow and post to the forum on a phone? Quality is a lot better than back in DC1's days and apart from the odd usually user related problem the Pocketmags option is quite good, even EiM use the same company.

Gerard O'Toole14/10/2020 07:53:45
135 forum posts
10 photos
Posted by JasonB on 14/10/2020 07:06:46:

.... you can use a tablet or PC or even a large screen smart TV .....

Jason, I have tried to take out a Digitial subscription bit the website says only for IOS and Android. Can you clarify if it is available for Windows 10.

Thanks

G

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest