Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

More Windows 10 Shenanigins

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Enough!15/06/2020 17:30:08
1719 forum posts
1 photos

I was presented with the following Windows Update to my Win-8.1 installation today:

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3044374)
Update type: Important
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3044374

If you go to the More Information link it seems to be an "Upgrade" to Windows-10 that they are trying to slide past unwary users - again. Presumably anyone who has automatic updates turned on gets upgraded automatically.

Even Microsoft's own definition states:

- An update ensures you have the most recent features and security improvements for your current version of Windows.

- An upgrade moves your PC from a previous version of Windows—such as Windows 7 or Windows 8.1—to Windows 10.

Not the first time they've tried this .... it's why I always check.

Apple is as bad. A few months ago they bought out a version of ios specifically tailored for iPad but stated that you didn't have to use that path - you could keep on using the original ios stream (which I chose). Since then though all the upgrades would also convert me to the IOSipad version - complete with Apple taking over (apparently) the screen graphics. And it nags me to death as only Apple can if I don't comply.

Frances IoM15/06/2020 17:57:10
1154 forum posts
28 photos
are we supposed to be sorry for you forced to be a slave to an American monopolist company (albeit a choice of 2) or to be surprised at such antics especially as one of said companies has been indicted in several courts for such activities
old mart15/06/2020 18:05:57
3317 forum posts
203 photos

I would go for the upgrade to W10 if it is free.

Michael Gilligan15/06/2020 18:09:02
18760 forum posts
922 photos
Posted by Bandersnatch on 15/06/2020 17:30:08:

[…] the IOSipad version - complete with Apple taking over (apparently) the screen graphics. […]

Can you elaborate upon that one, please

... I find lots of irritations with iPadOS 13, but was unaware of that ^^^

MichaelG.

Enough!15/06/2020 18:15:21
1719 forum posts
1 photos

Old Mart .... no thanks. Tried it twice and didn't like it. Nor do I want to end up in a subscription model.

Michael ... I don't recall the details other than that there is some app installed that takes away your option of setting your own screen background in favour of a horrible red/orange one that is demanded by the app. I'll see if I can dig up where I got that from. If you're using iPadOS and aren't aware of it, maybe I got hold of the wrong end of the stick. What other irritations have you noticed.

Edited By Bandersnatch on 15/06/2020 18:19:01

Oldiron15/06/2020 18:33:11
831 forum posts
23 photos
Posted by old mart on 15/06/2020 18:05:57:

I agree. Update if free although I doubt it very much. Although it is not compulsory to upgrade. Cannot blame any vendor for trying to get ppl to use the latest software. As with all programs ppl need to read all the info available to know what they are getting or not as the case may be. Must be a nightmare to write software to cover all the bases. W7 & 8.1 are so far out of date now that they are not good for much apart from running old programs. No system updates for them and many manufacturers do not make hardware compatible with them. Some of the anti virus companies are now saying that their software will not be available to W7 users. I have found replacements for all of my old programs. Also upgraded any accessories that were getting very long in the tooth. I have never figured out what the problem of running W10 is. Always been a great program for me, my family & friends. Maybe the people that get problems are the ones that never update their hardware.

regards

Trevorh15/06/2020 18:53:29
303 forum posts
87 photos

My PC updated today W10 and now after a few minutes of use a get a Blue screen stating that "Critical Struture Corruption" has occured and that it needs to gather the information and reboot

After speaking to my son (a professional computer programmer) he helped me install a microsoft program called Show Hide (WUSHOWHIDE) can be downloaded from the MS downloads area

It allows you to interagate the updates and decide if you want them or not

If not you simply select hide and it removes it from the update but more importantly flags it for any future update that come along and doesnt try to Re Install it

After I removed the 3 new updates with this program all is now back to normal

Simply google MS Show Hide

Regards

Trevor

Edited By Trevorh on 15/06/2020 18:53:50

Rockingdodge15/06/2020 18:57:51
287 forum posts
53 photos
Posted by Bandersnatch on 15/06/2020 18:15:21:

Old Mart .... no thanks. Tried it twice and didn't like it. Nor do I want to end up in a subscription model.

Don't quite understand what you mean by subscription model? Windows 10 tends to be free and is much more secure through it's regular updates and certainly seems to run fine on my year 2006 computer. Only hardware upgrade I've had to do was the graphics card as a third party app wouldn't run. My 2007 Office runs fine on it and I'll not be going for the Office 360 subscription.

Roger

Michael Gilligan15/06/2020 19:34:35
18760 forum posts
922 photos

Michael ... I don't recall the details other than that there is some app installed that takes away your option of setting your own screen background in favour of a horrible red/orange one that is demanded by the app. I'll see if I can dig up where I got that from. If you're using iPadOS and aren't aware of it, maybe I got hold of the wrong end of the stick. What other irritations have you noticed.

Thanks for that yes

The two biggest irritations are :

1. The U.K. keyboard, on which I frequently manage to inadvertently undo something that I have just typed ... and which is also inconsistent in its behaviour with the ? key
  2. If you have a look at my recent Albums, you will see that my photos are now named with Hex gibberish instead of the simple numbers that were allocated in previous iOS versions. [the odd exceptions are ones that I have uploaded from the Mac]

MichaelG.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/albums/member_album.asp?a=52817

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 15/06/2020 19:35:06

V8Eng15/06/2020 19:48:11
1627 forum posts
32 photos

Over the Weekend the Wife’s laptop running W8.1 installed auto updates.

Switched it on today and saw the message pictured below., which meant nothing to my limited PC knowledge.

Sure enough no access to files so tried logging out then back in a few times nothing changed, out of desperation I uninstalled the last two updates and all is fine now.

Having missed out on the original W10 freebie we would like to be given that offer.

e72309c8-0c27-4f46-b226-4018c3182167.jpeg

Edited By V8Eng on 15/06/2020 20:02:42

Clive Brown 115/06/2020 20:52:47
690 forum posts
33 photos
Posted by V8Eng on 15/06/2020 19:48:11:

Having missed out on the original W10 freebie we would like to be given that offer

Although Microsoft officially ended their free upgrade offer several years ago, it's very widely reported in the computer press and online that, in practice, upgrading of a legitimate W7 or W8 installation is still free.

You need to download the official Microsoft upgrade tool and go from there. There's lots of information and advice on the web, to be found with Google.

Michael Gilligan15/06/2020 21:29:01
18760 forum posts
922 photos

Wallpaper is selectable in “Settings” ... many of the standard options are pretty gross, but mine is dark grey overlaid with a grid of lighter grey dots. This works fine, or you can opt to use one of your own pictures.

Just remembered another irritation :

1. The sound ‘Bark’ is no longer an option for the Alarm Clock... but fortunately, existing Alarms have retained it, so I just re-program one of them.

MichaelG.

V8Eng15/06/2020 21:57:03
1627 forum posts
32 photos
Posted by Clive Brown 1 on 15/06/2020 20:52:47:
Posted by V8Eng on 15/06/2020 19:48:11:

Having missed out on the original W10 freebie we would like to be given that offer

Although Microsoft officially ended their free upgrade offer several years ago, it's very widely reported in the computer press and online that, in practice, upgrading of a legitimate W7 or W8 installation is still free.

You need to download the official Microsoft upgrade tool and go from there. There's lots of information and advice on the web, to be found with Google.

Yes had couple of goes and last Few times it failed at the upgrade tool stage as the address bar showed connecting to MS then just returned to the homepage.

Have to admit that my personal computing uses Apple gear these days so the Win stuff tends to be for the Wife’s limited computer usage.

Edited By V8Eng on 15/06/2020 21:57:27

Edited By V8Eng on 15/06/2020 21:59:26

Enough!16/06/2020 01:25:32
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 15/06/2020 21:29:01:

Wallpaper is selectable in “Settings” ... many of the standard options are pretty gross, but mine is dark grey overlaid with a grid of lighter grey dots. This works fine, or you can opt to use one of your own pictures.

Thanks, Michael looks like I was a bit off there. As long as I can use my own wallpaper and not one of those ghastly (to me) Apple versions.

I hadn't thought before but I have a spare, somewhat earlier, iPad Mini (Mini is what I mainly use these days as far as iPads go). So I'm going to let it update and see what I think.

My other hang-up is what happened a couple of years ago after a major IOS update. More than half my (mostly free) apps stopped working and more than half of those were never updated. What I gained in the OS update didn't nearly compensate for what I lost in the apps.

Enough!16/06/2020 01:43:43
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Rockingdodge on 15/06/2020 18:57:51:

Don't quite understand what you mean by subscription model? Windows 10 tends to be free and is much more secure .....

..... or so MS tells you ....

But, if you're happy in the belief that MS is altruistic enough to update everyone to the latest OS (one of their major sources of revenue historically - but who's counting) for nothing then more power to you. My belief (I'm not the only one) is that, when they have enough users they will switch to a subscription model. It's the modern way and gives a far, far greater return. Moreover it may not be as simple as "we send you a bill once a year". It may well be "you give us your Bank-AC/credit card number and we'll take care of the rest - every month or the thing stops working".

And yes, W10 is still available free (or was a few weeks ago - I doubt that's changed) and certainly is for those that avail themselves of the "update" that I mentioned at the start of this thread.

Michael Gilligan16/06/2020 07:02:47
18760 forum posts
922 photos

Now I’m just wondering if my tasteful grey wallpaper was carried over from an earlier version of iOS

**LINK**

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ipad/ipad997d908e/ipados

... could someone please check that it is on the standard iPadOS list ?

MichaelG.

Gerard O'Toole16/06/2020 07:33:04
122 forum posts
10 photos
Posted by Bandersnatch on 16/06/2020 01:43:43:
Posted by Rockingdodge on 15/06/2020 18:57:51:

Don't quite understand what you mean by subscription model? Windows 10 tends to be free and is much more secure .....

..... or so MS tells you ....

But, if you're happy in the belief that MS is altruistic enough to update everyone to the latest OS (one of their major sources of revenue historically - but who's counting) for nothing then more power to you. My belief (I'm not the only one) is that, when they have enough users they will switch to a subscription model. It's the modern way and gives a far, far greater return. Moreover it may not be as simple as "we send you a bill once a year". It may well be "you give us your Bank-AC/credit card number and we'll take care of the rest - every month or the thing stops working".

And yes, W10 is still available free (or was a few weeks ago - I doubt that's changed) and certainly is for those that avail themselves of the "update" that I mentioned at the start of this thread.

Have you a source or a link to this ? It seems very very unlikely

Edited By Gerard O'Toole on 16/06/2020 07:52:29

Edited By Gerard O'Toole on 16/06/2020 07:53:09

V8Eng16/06/2020 09:16:51
1627 forum posts
32 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 16/06/2020 07:02:47:

Now I’m just wondering if my tasteful grey wallpaper was carried over from an earlier version of iOS

**LINK**

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ipad/ipad997d908e/ipados

... could someone please check that it is on the standard iPadOS list ?

MichaelG.

Good morning Michael.

I have an old iPad which cannot be updated beyond: iOS 9.3.5 and a wallpaper fitting your description can be selected on that.

I also have a much later iPad running something called: iPad OS 13.5.1 (after several updates) the available wallpapers on that are mainly very lively! Your grey does not seem to be there at all.

I think wallpapers carry over because the seashore I have used since new does not seem to feature in the current range.

Hope that makes sense and helps to answer your question.

Edited By V8Eng on 16/06/2020 09:20:35

Michael Gilligan16/06/2020 09:37:34
18760 forum posts
922 photos
Posted by V8Eng on 16/06/2020 09:16:51:

Good morning Michael.

I have an old iPad which cannot be updated beyond: iOS 9.3.5 and a wallpaper fitting your description can be selected on that.

I also have a much later iPad running something called: iPad OS 13.5.1 (after several updates) the available wallpapers on that are mainly very lively! Your grey does not seem to be there at all.

I think wallpapers carry over because the seashore I have used since new does not seem to feature in the current range.

Hope that makes sense and helps to answer your question.

Thanks ... Yes, it confirms my suspicion

MichaelG.

6279fe15-21b3-484d-803b-d055777aad85.jpeg

3afabe84-d815-451d-a7e4-b6330d0afc4d.jpeg

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 16/06/2020 09:51:42

Steve Neighbour16/06/2020 09:58:09
108 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by old mart on 15/06/2020 18:05:57:

+1 to upgrade - Windows 7, 8 etc are no longer supported for secirity and viruses etc, you PC and personal information will be at risk if you do not keep up to date !!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Warco
walker midge
cowells
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest