Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Myford Ml7 micrometer dial.

Drawing request

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bootlegger Blacky10/06/2020 12:56:02
25 forum posts
10 photos

Hello,I was wondering if anyone out there has a drawing to make a crosslide micrometer dial for the ML7. It seems they are not available anymore and were quite pricy too. It would make a worthwhile project. Thanks

Nick Hughes10/06/2020 15:16:30
255 forum posts
142 photos

There are resettable dials available in either Imperial or Metric from Myford Ltd :- ML7 Resettable Dials

I use these on my vertical slides.

Nick.

Malc10/06/2020 15:44:18
102 forum posts
6 photos

There is a detailed article on making these in the Geo.H.Thomas book “The model engineers workshop manual” (P. 164). I made a pair for my ML7 several years ago and have found them a worthwhile feature.

ega10/06/2020 17:07:13
2266 forum posts
188 photos
Posted by Malc on 10/06/2020 15:44:18:

There is a detailed article on making these in the Geo.H.Thomas book “The model engineers workshop manual” (P. 164). I made a pair for my ML7 several years ago and have found them a worthwhile feature.

No doubt you first made one of his dividing devices and the tool for engraving the graduations!

Malc10/06/2020 17:36:44
102 forum posts
6 photos

Yes, I had forgotten I had made a dividing device using the lathe screw cutting gears. I cut the graduation marks just using a V shaped tool on its side in the tool post and moving the cross slide along the bed up to a pre-set stop, several shallow cuts each time. I think there is a picture of one of the finished dials in my photos. I seem to remember I also made a jig to guide the number stamp for punching the numbers. I have seen far more professional looking jobs on these pages but for a non engineer the dials turned out well enough and have certainly been useful and accurate enough for me.

Enough!10/06/2020 18:37:50
1719 forum posts
1 photos

You could also look at dials that are available as spares fore current small machines - imported mills and lathes.

I fitted these from LMS to my ML7 but you could probably find something similar locally.

ega10/06/2020 22:39:13
2266 forum posts
188 photos
Posted by Bandersnatch on 10/06/2020 18:37:50:

You could also look at dials that are available as spares fore current small machines - imported mills and lathes.

I fitted these from LMS to my ML7 but you could probably find something similar locally.

Apart from potential import costs, they make the Myford item look rather expensive even though they don't seem to be re-settable in themselves.

Enough!11/06/2020 01:44:06
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by ega on 10/06/2020 22:39:13:

Apart from potential import costs, they make the Myford item look rather expensive even though they don't seem to be re-settable in themselves.

I bought the dials and the friction springs that match. I made simple adapters to fit them to the ML7 and they can turn continuously against the spring-friction. So re-settable. I believe that's how they are used in their original machines.

These are standard spares for common machines, which machines are probably available in the UK and elsewhere. So it's possible the dials are available too. I didn't mean to imply he should get them from LMS (necessarily). It was just an easy place to point the link at showing the ones I used.

OldMetaller11/06/2020 12:53:20
193 forum posts
24 photos

By sheer coincidence I've just been reading ME 3536, 7th May 1976. On p450 there is a short article on making these dials, with what looks like a good, clear drawing.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a scan of this article here, maybe a Mod could tell me?

John.

Bootlegger Blacky11/06/2020 18:34:59
25 forum posts
10 photos

Ok,that’s great,I’ll just buy the mag! And have a good read,thanks.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
walker midge
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest