Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Measuring Set

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Vic31/05/2020 15:04:45
2500 forum posts
14 photos

I don’t know how this compares price wise buying the individual items but it may be worth looking at for someone just starting out?

Measuring Set

Mick B131/05/2020 21:17:43
1573 forum posts
84 photos

Probably no-one wants to rain on your parade, but there are a few things to comment on.

The springbow scriber-dividers look useful for someone doing a fair bit of marking-out. The automatic centre-punch looks like the common type which many get on quite well with, though some prefer other designs.

There are more screwcutting tool flank angle gauges than needed, and I'm not sure about the quality and sharpness of the screw pitch gauges. Drill lip angle gauges are not (AFAIK) much used - it's more important to get both angles and lengths equal than to achieve any specific value. The small square, protractor and rule all look usable.

The real lemon is the caliper. It's very small, made of soft material and the jaws are too short. The metric side Vernier only resolves to 0,1mm and many model engineering tolerances will be a good deal closer than that. The Imperial side doesn't even appear to have a datum line, never mind a Vernier scale. I think the instrument is nearly useless.

Note that what looks like the same set is going for £23.92 online.

It might be better to buy the starter a 150mm/6" Vernier or *decent* digital caliper, plus a 0-25mm mic.

Gonna cost you more . Sorry.

Edited By Mick B1 on 31/05/2020 21:19:37

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 01/06/2020 12:33:59

Vic31/05/2020 21:23:41
2500 forum posts
14 photos

It was just a heads up Mick, I didn’t study all the bits. I have all the measuring stuff I need.

Mick B131/05/2020 21:49:29
1573 forum posts
84 photos
Posted by Vic on 31/05/2020 21:23:41:

It was just a heads up Mick, I didn’t study all the bits. I have all the measuring stuff I need.

It did puzzle me that someone of your experience would be asking about a set like that.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest