Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Soldering Iron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
mechman4804/06/2020 15:33:46
2662 forum posts
410 photos

In the same context why do our American cousins say 'SODdering' iron & we say SOLDering iron, always puzzled me that one... thinking.. ?

George.

Oven Man04/06/2020 16:33:12
40 forum posts
6 photos

My Antex C15 is at least 40 years old and has the small diameter cable. It is my go to soldering iron for electronics work. I also have a Weller soldering gun, which is about 50 years old. Great that you can still buy spare tips and elements after all this time.

Peter

Bill Davies 205/06/2020 00:46:44
188 forum posts
11 photos

Why North Americans call it 'soddering'? - possibly a French influence. Solder is souder, both soft and hard, and I think the word is used for weld as well. A quick search finds old French spelt it 'solder', but ultimately it's from Latin 'solidare,' meaning to make solid.

On the other hand, perhaps a desire to differentiate themselves from 'native' English (can of worms) or more likely, the Americans speaking the King's English and we've (meaning the Brits) moved on.

Bill

mechman4805/06/2020 13:13:44
2662 forum posts
410 photos

Thanks for the info' Bill... interesting thinking does any one else have a thought on it?

George.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest