Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Paint recommendations

Which type of paint for machinery?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
IRT30/05/2020 23:23:37
96 forum posts
24 photos

I am coming to the end of a powered hacksaw build. My first real project.

So far so good, but it has come to the bit I dread - painting.

I have no painting skills. As soon as I pick up a brush thing go wrong.

In the past I have tried brushing on Hammerite. Always ended up full of runs. It also chips easily. I have also used Rustoleum spray, but found this chips too.

I see previous posts recommend enamel for machinery.

What enamel would people recommend in spray cans, and what primers and undercoats are needed? I will be painting steel.

Thanks.

Pete.31/05/2020 00:04:57
222 forum posts
36 photos

2k acrylic, I sprayed this J&S arbor press with activated 2k acrylic out a rattle can, it leaves a really tough finish and looks like a gloss powder coat.

img_20200318_201744_1.jpg

Steviegtr31/05/2020 01:29:42
1234 forum posts
115 photos

I think one of the main problems of paint chipping on machinery is because it has not had a good bonding undercoat applied. If you look at a lot of paint chips they are down to the metal. Meaning they have not been prepared or had the undercoat keyed properly. Someone will be along shortly to give you a list of the best paints to use.

Steve.

Plasma31/05/2020 07:10:15
414 forum posts
50 photos

I used Teal and Mackrill (Teamac) machinery enamel on my lathes and it's really good paint with a great range of colours. It will brush paint and thin fir spraying.

I'm just trying Tractol enamel though and it looks to be very easy to use. Bought it off the bay at 19.99 a litre.

Mike Crossfield31/05/2020 08:35:16
216 forum posts
19 photos

+1 for Tractol. High pigment content so covers well, and tough as old boots. Good for brushing because it dries slowly, which means there is no problem keeping a wet edge, and brush marks tend to flow out leaving a very good finish. Need to be careful to avoid dust though. When fully cured it can be cut back and polished to a very high gloss. Smith and Allen keep a wide range of colours, and I think they also supply it in spray cans.

IRT03/06/2020 22:39:02
96 forum posts
24 photos

I have not heard of Tractol before.

I will give this a try. Thanks.

Evan Lewis08/06/2020 12:29:48
7 forum posts

I painted my old Boxford lathe with one-pot epoxy ultra blue. It is Australian Wattyl Rustkill. Nowhere near the original color but I'm happy.

Someone else said that I had chosen the idea type of paint. as good as two pot. I left town for a year and when I came back it was hard asa rock.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest