Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

LBSC 3.5" "Maisie"

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nick Clarke 329/05/2020 23:05:26
754 forum posts
24 photos

What i dont like is the way hand rail going along the barrel are fitted to the boiler. These are screwed into the boiler body directly! I bet someone used glue for that as all of them need to be lined-up accurately to pass the rail bar through the holes. Unfortunatelly some of them are broken. How to fix it? I plan to drill and cut new thread in the boiler shell (the shell is 3mm thick i think) and screw in plugs using Locktite (high temperature). These plugs will have blind threaded holes for new handrail fittings - this way there will be no problem with leaking handrails fittings.

This was how the designer of Maisie designed and built all of his locos. no cladding on the boiler, boiler barrel slightly larger in diameter because no need to allow for insulation and cladding and handrail knobs screwed directly into the boiler barrel with a bit of plumbers jointing paste to seal them.

We know better today, but remember your loco was designed 85 years ago!

Phil H130/05/2020 10:19:29
266 forum posts
25 photos

Bogus,

Sorry, I assumed that you were in the UK.

Let us assume you do repair it and get it running. How and where do you plan to run it e.g., do you have a large enough garden for a track?

Phil H

bogus30/05/2020 12:03:45
31 forum posts
54 photos

I plan to steam it on the test bench only. in the future i plan to make a track in my future garden - not big, maybe 1500 square meters plot. I think it should be enough tor 3.5 gauge. Only private use.

Phil H130/05/2020 12:21:38
266 forum posts
25 photos

OK, so there is no usual risk of public running.

Going back to the boiler structure. Can you tell if I am correct i.e., has it all been silver soldered? The side stays look like they are copper snap head rivets silver soldered on both sides - or have they been threaded with high temperature soft solder?

Phil H

bogus30/05/2020 18:21:54
31 forum posts
54 photos

There is no risk to public.

Back to the boiler: it is all silver soldered. Stays are also silver soldered. The photos are taken before i finished cleaning.boiler_stays_outside.jpgboiler_stays_inside.jpg

Edited By bogus on 30/05/2020 18:30:13

Phil H101/06/2020 13:09:03
266 forum posts
25 photos

Why not check it over to make sure there are no botched, soft solder repairs and give it a pressure test?

bogus02/06/2020 00:55:54
31 forum posts
54 photos

Well the answer is i'm offshore for the next 2-3 months. All i can do now being far away from home(workshop) is to collect knowledge, materials and talk In my other thread regarding steam regulator disassembly i was advised to get the book. Nice It is on the list, but in 3 months and i need to prepare tooling first not to waste time when i get home.

Phil H102/06/2020 08:51:32
266 forum posts
25 photos

Oh I see. On the bright side, it looks like your boiler was soundly built (from what we can see). Do you know whether the boiler had any stamped lettering - indicating a pressure test? And or do you know its history?

bogus02/06/2020 10:29:06
31 forum posts
54 photos

i bought it from Ebay auction, from one guy who is most likely well known in this "world". I supouse he is well known as he is selling lot of locos all the time on Ebay - squireathuttonbs24

He said is it very vell engineered and wasn't been on steam since long time, was standing on the display and need "all the necessary work"

I haven't seen any stamps on the boiler...

If i remember right, there is a red dot marked on the pressure gauge at 70 psi.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest