By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Large rotary tool holding device

Another tool in my arsenal that I would like to know its use

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Craig Brown 220/05/2020 19:40:32
26 forum posts
8 photos


I'm pretty sure that for the time being this is the last tool I have that I dont know its use. If anyone could shed any light on it I would be interested to find out.

The cross hole at the top I guess is for tool holding around 1/4" hole. Undoing the knurled knob that holds that section down gives coarse motion back and forth. The graduated dial (0.1" per revolution) gives fine adjustment back and forth with a scale on the side reading +/- 1".

The whole thing can then rotate freely on a graduated rotary part that has 2 stops that can be adjusted.

Some kind of radius turning device is what springs to mind for me but it's relatively large but obviously that's only relative to the machine it's designed to be used with.

Any ideas?

Thanks again, Craig

Pete Rimmer20/05/2020 19:44:46
774 forum posts
50 photos

I would say that it's very likely a radius dressing tool for abrasive wheels. The hole is to hold a dressing diamond.

Neil Wyatt20/05/2020 19:56:16
18141 forum posts
713 photos
77 articles
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 20/05/2020 19:44:46:

I would say that it's very likely a radius dressing tool for abrasive wheels. The hole is to hold a dressing diamond.

I'll believe that.


Emgee20/05/2020 20:03:56
1654 forum posts
224 photos

Hi Craig

I would be tempted to cut the vertical part off and fit a vice to the topslide, the adjusting knurled nut would be used to offset the job off centre and the rotary moved between stops, typically for rounding off ends of bar is one use.


alan ord 220/05/2020 20:05:15
78 forum posts

Pete you are spot on. It is used on surface grinders to put a radius on the grinding wheel. Have used one on many occasions during my toolmaking days.


Pete Rimmer20/05/2020 20:23:04
774 forum posts
50 photos

Thanks Alan, it appears to be in typical Jones and Shipman blue and a quick search on google images brings up several matching items.

It's a Jones and Shipman Radius Dresser. Should fetch a pretty penny Craig if you decide to sell it.

Craig Brown 220/05/2020 21:01:17
26 forum posts
8 photos

Thanks for all the prompt replies. Top marks to Pete, it most certainly is a "Jones and Shipman radius dresser" and as you say seems to hold a certain amount of value. My illness with anything like this though is, although I have no use for it now, if I ever wanted one in the future I would hate to have to pay face value knowing I once had one in my possession, and to that order I'm probably unlikely to part with it 😅

Thanks again for all the replies

Craig Brown 220/05/2020 21:49:06
26 forum posts
8 photos

Jones and Shipman Radius Dresser

In the interest of completion, for anyone other than me who may be interested, this is the very item as documented on

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest