Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Workshop Woes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian H17/05/2020 15:03:43
2239 forum posts
113 photos

I wonder if others have this type of problem?

I'm getting a bit weary with my Burrell-Boydell and have started making silly mistakes so I am thinking of having a brief rest from it.

Years ago I was quite attracted to the idea of building a full sized replica of Henry Fords Quadricycle which he built in his spare time in 1896 but Austin Sevens and traction engines got in the way.

I'm considering building one at 3 ins to the foot with a working 2 cylinder engine.

Has anyone built anything like this.

See this site for a full sized replica;

**LINK**

Brian

steamdave17/05/2020 16:25:33
492 forum posts
39 photos

You can read about a recreation of the Quadricycle over on HMEM.

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/ford-quadricycle.19283/

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Jeff Dayman17/05/2020 16:35:33
2189 forum posts
45 photos

Quadricycle style vehicle would be a neat project. I would not recommend a copy of Henry's quadricycle engine though, it had major faults (cooling for one, ignition for another) and would not pull the skin off a rice pudding. I had the start of a similar style vehicle a thousand years ago when I was 18, using a V-4 Wisconsin conveyor belt engine and 2 sets of wheels off 750 Suzuki motorcycles whose engines and frames met an early demise racing. Wheels / brakes still in fine shape. Frames were carefully selected scrap 3" steel channel, rusty and badly pitted, heaven knows how old. The idea was something like Henry's 999 race car I had seen at Greenfield Village Museum near Detroit a few years earlier. My old Dad saw me mocking the thing up on the hoist at his garage one day and just said "no, you are not doing that!"

May have saved my life - it would have gone like the proverbial bat out of hell........

Little did he know of my exploits with small engine powered bikes, then full race bikes......

old mart17/05/2020 16:53:46
3398 forum posts
210 photos

Expect to be working on it for years, its a big project.

Steviegtr17/05/2020 23:41:17
2269 forum posts
313 photos

Try & get it finished before the pandemic is over & you can do speed trials on the M1. Love that little diff. & the Chinese inner tubes.laugh

Steve.

Enough!18/05/2020 01:36:13
1719 forum posts
1 photos

Quadricycle:

Some pics. The B/W pics are of the full-size working repro of the Quadricycle that we built at the Ford (Dagenham) Trade School in the 60's when I was there as a student-apprentice - including the late Graham Hill driving it at Crystal Palace.

The CAD models I did much later (about 15-20 years ago in Pro/Engineer (individual parts plus assemblies). Yes, it took forever! smile pquad repro.jpg

quad-gh-3-rsz.jpg

quadricycle-assy-front-iso-g-rsz.jpg

quadricycle-assy-rear-iso-g-rsz.jpg

quadricycle-assy-engine-g-rsz.jpg

Edited By Bandersnatch on 18/05/2020 01:41:32

Brian H18/05/2020 08:42:12
2239 forum posts
113 photos

Many thanks for the replies, especially to Bandersnatch for the CAD models.

I should point out that I am interested in making one at 3" to the foot so no burn-ups on the motorway!

I have joined The Early Ford Register as that gives my access to the drawings produced by George De Angelis when he worked at Fords.

The biggest problem I can see is the bicycle wheels which work out at 7" diameter in 1/4 scale.

Brian

Edited By Brian H on 18/05/2020 08:47:17

Enough!18/05/2020 15:58:06
1719 forum posts
1 photos

For wheels, you could try Lilfishes though you might have to buy complete bicycles. You could ask though if they have separate wheels.

You should probably give some thought to other (purchased) items that need to be to scale. The chain for example is 1-inch pitch full size so 1/4-inch at scale. Probably not a problem at a guess. Most of the rest is "make" though, at a quick look. You might find leaf springs on another model .... or make them.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
walker midge
rapid Direct
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest