Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Thread to discuss Solid Edge 2D and 3D

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Barrie Lever13/05/2020 12:57:58
574 forum posts
56 photos

There is an increasing interest in the free CAD offerings from Siemens Solid Edge now that they have added a community edition to the existing free of charge 2D offering.

Any questions then just ask, I will say that there are more experienced SE drivers on the forum than me and hopefully they will support this message thread.

I will upload some screen shots a bit later.

B.

Versaboss14/05/2020 22:56:27
445 forum posts
56 photos

I did just see that Barrie Lever started this thread as promised. So I jump in, full force.
Also, because I'm stuck quite hard atm.

Perhaps a word about me and my CAD 'experience' if I can call that like this. I never used any program professionally, but learned/used/dabbled in Autocad, TurboCad, GraphicsWork, TrueCad, ChoiceCad, AllyCad... and maybe some I have forgotten. I was one of the first 100000 users getting Xcad for free, which then later became Alibre. In none of these programs I got over more than a couple of simple drawings. Now, since some years, I'm using Onshaape and love it. So why trying to learn another program? Maybe just curiosity, and maybe because some things are integrated which in Onshape need paid extensions.

Jump forward to Solid edge now.
After I downloaded Solid Edge, nothing worked, as I had written before, but in this I was not alone. After a couple of days this problem was solved, and I started checking the tutorial videos. First disappointment was, that I found nothing about how to set up the program, as it has gazillions of 'levels' as it seems. It is very difficult to find a line in these videos. I had also a look into waht is available on Youtube, and there is some interesting stuff. But it is not easy to follow which actions someone executes on a video.

And this leads me also to the first problem. Almost in every video I see the Toolbar looks different, and these toolbars look Very different from that on my screen. To clarify, what I call Toolbar is the array on top of the screen, where the drawing tools are arranged.

Tutorial 1:videotutorial.jpg

Tutorial 2:anothertutorial.jpg

My Toolbar:mytools.jpg

And the clean Onshape-Toolbar:onshape_toolbar.jpg

So, what's the matter here?

Problem #2 maybe tomorrow

Kind regards,
Hans

Steviegtr15/05/2020 00:45:04
1233 forum posts
115 photos

No nothing of that program but in autocad those top graphics change as you click on the different functions on the top line. Tutorial 2 is showing the sketching icon lit up, so I guess that is the menu for sketching.

Steve.

Steviegtr15/05/2020 00:45:59
1233 forum posts
115 photos

On your top tutorial 1 it has home clicked & so on. Same as autocad.

Steve.

Raymond Anderson15/05/2020 07:03:21
767 forum posts
152 photos

Hans, Yes the customise options are very extensive far too much for me to write up here. If you go to the areas marked on my screenshot you will find all the help you need there. You can customise the GUI to suit your workflow.

Not sure what the GUI is by default in the Community edition [ is that the default shown in your pic ? ] either way you will be able to get it to suit your way of working.

Solid Edge is far , far removed from any of the programmes you have mentioned. It is a full blown commercial Mcad programme extremely powerful, Robust, Stable and flexible. [ don't let the extremely powerful bit put you off ] The User forum that I mentioned in another thread is a gold mine of info from Pro users of the software. also Siemens Solid Edge official forum is another first class site. Also, if you press the area at the top where the arrow is pointing that will take you directly to the GUI customise options Hover over it and press F1 will take you to a extensive help area.silid edge help areas..jpg

Paul Lousick15/05/2020 08:20:19
1415 forum posts
541 photos

Learnin to use a 3D CAD prrogram is not an easy task. It is a new language and will take time to master. (how long would it take you to be proficient in Mandarin or Russian, etc).

I have not used Solid Edge but have been a CAD draftsman for 10+ years, now retired. It took us 3 months to master Pro Engineer when it was introduced. When I changed jobs and used Solidworks, I was sent to a full week of training to learn the basics and later anther week to learn the advanved features and still learning.

Software is more friendly now but still takes a lot of study and practice. Stay with it as it is a great resource and has saved me heaps of time in the workshop. Cheaper and quicker to find problems and fix them in the computer than on a lathe oe mill.

Paul.

IanT15/05/2020 10:21:35
1532 forum posts
144 photos

Hans,

I'm busy trying to learn SE too - so absolutely another Newbie too. But about the different toolbars....

When I installed SE it asked me what level of experience I had (I forget the exact terms) but it was something like 'New to CAD', 'Used some CAD before' or 'Experienced CAD User' - I was probably 'used some before' (Intermediate level?) but decided to jump right into 'Experienced'. I'm pretty sure though that the UI wold have been simplified if I'd have chosen one of the other options.

The Toolbars do change interactively as you select a tab (e.g. Home, Sketching, 3D Sketching, Surfacing etc) but 'Home' seems to be a kind of summary toolbar - the others are more complete but also more complex (and maybe harder to use at first). Always look to the 'Hint/Guidance' at the bottom of page that will tell you your next move -it's very helpful. Hover over an icon and a help box will also appear...

I've been watching some excellent YouTubes by Design Fusion (a Canadian SE Partner I think) which are very good but up to 8 years old - so I've assumed that there will be some differences in the product version - although the basics of the UI seem the same. The Siemens videos will be more up to date I assume but the ones I watched had some sort of robotic female voiceover that I guess they use to automate translations (??).

I prefer the DF guy - he's very good but he packs a lot into each video. I try to play them through once (just watching) then a second time (to take notes) - then go and actually try the stuff - then watch again and try to understand what I just did wrong! 

Hope this helps - keep at it!   

Regards,

IanT

Edited By IanT on 15/05/2020 11:29:51

Barrie Lever15/05/2020 16:32:30
574 forum posts
56 photos
Posted by Versaboss on 14/05/2020 22:56:27:

I did just see that Barrie Lever started this thread as promised. So I jump in, full force.
Also, because I'm stuck quite hard atm.

Kind regards,
Hans

Hans

I think it is worth checking what assistance level that Solid Edge is giving you, see the photo below, the screen shots you posted of tutorial 1 and 2 are what I would expect to see in the standard installation.

I attach a screen shot showing where you set the assistance level provided by Solid Edge. If you have the same setting then we will have to scratch our heads a bit more !!themes.jpg

Regards

Barrie

Versaboss17/05/2020 23:09:44
445 forum posts
56 photos

Hello all,

Sorry for the delay, other matters went in-between, and I'm also unsure about what I want to write.
To begin with the last contribution from Barrie, I don't understand the last sentence. I found the 'settings' button on the left side, I think it is the same as also in the top line with the triangle mark. When I choose the first 'theme' which is 'First steps' (sorry I have German names, but I think that's what I used), then I get that reduced toolbar. I checked the other 'themes' also, there are changes all over the place, but I can't say if these are functionally equivalent. Anyhow, I switched now to the 'balanced theme', which here is called S.E. standard.

Stand now is the following: I tried to re-create a 'thing' I did in Onshape and which I found quite difficult to do, in the way I did it. Inagine a L, lying on the long side, but the short side not vertical. Like that perhaps: ___/
I could draw the L and give it the dimensions I wanted (easy in S.E), and then I found a tool to rotate it, with two sub-tools. The first I don't remember (and can't find that tool atm.), and the second was '360°'. That's what I wanted anyway, but to my surprise it did not a 360° rotation, but I could sweep it around with the mouse. I stopped at about 270°, and then tre resulting body stood here on the screen, but all in deep read! From other programs I know that red usually means something is wrong, but I couldn't see any error message. That's where I am at the moment.
Experimenting with the themes, I hit on another problem. In Onshape there is also a build tree on the left side, and in any moment it is possible to go back in this tree and make changes, if something looks not right. How it is possible to do that in the S.E. tree I did not find out. I would like to go back to the 2D sketch (have to use this Onshape name) and redo it from there, but how? Naturally it would be simple to draw it again, only 6 lines, but sometimes the begin is a bit more complicated...

Some other points: - I tried to find these Youtube videos by Design Fusion, but all except two are for Fusion360, and the S.E. video is about surface modelling.
I had a look into the S.E. Forums and went straight back. There's not really a chapter for beginner's question, but what I found are people complaining about the way the forum works. In Onshape (yes, again...) I could ask questions and sometimes even got answers back directly from the developers.

Ok, enough for today. I will be away for 2 or 3 days, but I will come back!

Kind regards
Hans

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest