By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Cheese grater strip/band

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Parkin12/05/2020 16:59:55
882 forum posts
215 photos

Not sure how to word this

i have 10 shafts 20mm dia and 1200 long made of alloy and they had a strip of like cheese grater/lemon zester type material wound round the shaft in a spiral.

this is the take up shaft on a printing press for a wash up roll which is like very strong kitchen roll..the operator winds the material round the shaft and the rough surface grabs the material and allows it to be rolled up on the discard roller.

the zester type stuff had fallen off them all

ive knurled a few of them to see if that works..with some success

but the operators want it like original.... really grabby..

where could i get such strip material ?


Edited By Ian Parkin on 12/05/2020 17:00:27

Brian Sweeting12/05/2020 18:37:17
452 forum posts
1 photos

Not exactly cheese grater but try a Google search on "prikka strip", might be suitable.

Ian Parkin12/05/2020 19:37:36
882 forum posts
215 photos


the prongs are too long for this application

ill try and get a photo of one tommorow off the press.

the zester type of strip is thin stainless with a grid of square punching from behind making little pyramids of sharp points which grab the roll

Grindstone Cowboy12/05/2020 20:13:07
420 forum posts
36 photos


I know exactly what you mean, but I just can't remember where I've seen it.

Which isn't much help, I realise, but it may come to me suddenly.



David Maynard 412/05/2020 20:51:21
11 forum posts
2 photos

We used to be able to get 'punchings strips' the waste after punching out bottle top blanks. If still available, would these work?


roy entwistle12/05/2020 20:52:44
1299 forum posts

What press is it ? Could the manufacturer help ?

HOWARDT12/05/2020 20:58:54
652 forum posts
15 photos

Expanded or punched metal, still a few companies in the Uk.

Dick H12/05/2020 21:37:21
96 forum posts
1 photos

Try "perforiertes Blech" or Lochblech. (perforated sheet).

DiogenesII12/05/2020 21:47:19
167 forum posts
70 photos
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 12/05/2020 20:13:07:


I know exactly what you mean, but I just can't remember where I've seen it.

Which isn't much help, I realise, but it may come to me suddenly.


Rob used get given a bit to roughen the tube with in puncture repair kits..

Er, if anyone does an image search on terms similar to "perforated abrasive strip", please take care which web domains you click on, regardless of the image displayed..'s lucky Mrs Diogenes has a sense of humour.. might be best to omit the word "strip", possibly blush..

Edited By DiogenesII on 12/05/2020 21:49:06

Grindstone Cowboy12/05/2020 22:16:57
420 forum posts
36 photos

Puncture repair kits! That's the place. You'd need quite a few to cover all those rollers frown

The perforated strip I've found by Googling has nice round holes, but knocking a square punch through might raise the edges enough to provide the necessary grip. Pretty boring job though...



peak413/05/2020 01:54:10
1317 forum posts
147 photos

Ian, see P24 of this pdf

UK contact details HERE

Good luck, hope you're keeping well over there


Ian Parkin13/05/2020 15:06:33
882 forum posts
215 photos

Here’s a pic of the roll in question

it doesn’t need to be wound round a straight stip of it would suffice 504f8a58-64de-40b8-9d66-4feb683f0658.jpeg

Ian Parkin13/05/2020 15:08:24
882 forum posts
215 photos


you ARE on the ball thats exactly what i need

how did you find that?


All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest