Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Understanding Digital Subscriptions

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Wyatt12/05/2020 13:41:10
18809 forum posts
733 photos
80 articles

Some of our digital subscribers think that the archive copies are their digital subscription copies.

Can I clarify, we have three types of subscription:

Paper - this gives you a paper copy of each subscription issue.

Digital - this gives you access to your subscription issues which are delivered via Pocketmags.

Bundle - this gives you both of the above.

If you buy your digital or bundle subscription through MyTimeMedia (e.g. via the 'subscribe' link on the black band at the top of this page or using links/phone numbers given in the magazines) you also get access to the online archive via this website.

It is possible to but digital subscriptions from third parties, but these don't include archive access.

Instructions on how to access your digital copies and the archive are given on the 'digital' link on the black band at the top of this page.

Overseas subscribers whose paper copies have been temporarily suspended due to coronavirus have been given temporary access to the archive, not Pocketmags, and have been sent instructions on how to access it.

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 12/05/2020 13:41:58

derek hall 112/05/2020 13:46:58
183 forum posts

Thanks Neil that has cleared up some of the confusion I have.

I am now going to treat myself to a digital and paper subscriptionto MEW!

Regards

Derek

Raymond Hodges12/05/2020 16:13:12
71 forum posts
1 photos

Hello Neil

I used to receive the printed version of Model Engineers Workshop from 2015 to 2018, and at that time I was able to read any of the Issues in the Archive although the new subscription number is the same as before.

Now I have taken out a new subscription this time Digital which I, as you say, can read it using pocketmags.

I must have missed something when I subscribed to the digital version, I payed £37.99 for the Digital version for Europe, if the bundle costs any more then please send me a PM and i will pay the rest.

Kind Regards

Ray

Raymond Hodges12/05/2020 18:02:56
71 forum posts
1 photos

A second thought why on earth would anyone need a printed copy when you can read it online, this only leads to more waste paper.

Kind Regards

Ray

Edited By Raymond Hodges on 12/05/2020 18:07:06

clivel12/05/2020 19:35:46
328 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 12/05/2020 13:41:10:

Overseas subscribers whose paper copies have been temporarily suspended due to coronavirus have been given temporary access to the archive, not Pocketmags, and have been sent instructions on how to access it.

As one of those overseas customers, I appreciate that MyTimeMedia is providing access to the archive to ensure that we are not subject to the vagaries of the postal system.

We have also been advised that we will not lose any issues, but what is not clear, is whether we will be receiving the missing issues once things return to normal, or whether the balance of our subscriptions will be made up by extending our subscriptions with newer issues.

As someone who spends their working day in front of a computer, I prefer to not spend my leisure hours in front of a screen as well, so I am not really enjoying reading the digital replacements, instead, I am hoping that I will eventually receive hard copies of the missing issues to catch up on my reading.

Clive

Lofty12/05/2020 21:45:33
9 forum posts
2 photos

MEW digital subscription from Time media

This is what i see when I click on an archived mag:

An Error Has Occurred

I'm sorry but we can't process your request at this time (bad referrer)

I use Firefox, do I need another browser?

lofty

Paul Lousick12/05/2020 23:26:40
1868 forum posts
666 photos

I use Firefox and it is OK.

I did have a problem previously after I updated Firefox and could open Pocketmags web page but not the magazines. Tried Chrome and I could get in.

After doing another Firefox update to the next version when it was released (a month or so later), everything was fine.

Paul.

Lofty13/05/2020 00:08:15
9 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Paul, I can open Pocketmags fine, the issue is trying to open the magazine archives on this site linked at the top green bar" Magazines"

There are loads of magazine covers and when I click any of them a get a blank page with this on:

An Error Has Occurred

I'm sorry but we can't process your request at this time (bad referrer)

lofty

Enough!13/05/2020 02:00:11
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Raymond Hodges on 12/05/2020 18:02:56:

A second thought why on earth would anyone need a printed copy when you can read it online, this only leads to more waste paper.

Longevity and reliability? Not limited to whichever OS, in whatever version, PM is supporting this week. And the best quality hard copy of all when you need it (some do).

JasonB13/05/2020 07:05:05
21652 forum posts
2495 photos
1 articles

Lofty, most likely something your end as I have just logged in as you and can read the mags using W10 & Chrome. have you got any ad blockers running as that can sometimes be the problem and what are you running FF and Chrome on?

lofty.jpg

Lofty13/05/2020 09:59:19
9 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks Jason, I tried changing the setting in Firefox to no avail this end.

I then tried Windows 10 Microsoft Edge and they open finesmiley

Thanks

Lofty

Raymond Hodges13/05/2020 10:06:38
71 forum posts
1 photos

Bandersnatch

I think you missed the point, why have a printed version and a digital at the same time, one or the other is enough,all I wanted was to use the Digital version and have access to the Digital Issues Archive.

I don't mind paying a bit extra but I don't want the printed copy, more waste paper!

Lofty

That is what I get too.

Ray

Raymond Hodges13/05/2020 10:15:33
71 forum posts
1 photos

Lofty

I have tried that too it works thank you

Ray

JasonB13/05/2020 10:17:04
21652 forum posts
2495 photos
1 articles

A lot of people still prefer to read the mag in paper form, easy to pick up while watching the TV in the arm chair, easy to read the text on one page while looking at a drawing on the opposite one makes it easy to follow a build article, saves printing out pages to take into the workshop which can soon eat up an ink catridge, easier to lay on the desk to look at while maybe drawing it up in CAD than flicking between onscreen images, etc.

Digital's best advantage for me is quick access for a particular item without having to dig out a pile of mags.

Simon036213/05/2020 10:53:31
219 forum posts
77 photos
Posted by JasonB on 13/05/2020 10:17:04:

A lot of people still prefer to read the mag in paper form, easy to pick up while watching the TV in the arm chair, easy to read the text on one page while looking at a drawing on the opposite one makes it easy to follow a build article, saves printing out pages to take into the workshop which can soon eat up an ink catridge, easier to lay on the desk to look at while maybe drawing it up in CAD than flicking between onscreen images, etc.

Digital's best advantage for me is quick access for a particular item without having to dig out a pile of mags.

Exactly - and I spend the entire day in front of a screen (and on Zoom calls), so paper is really a pleasure at the end of the day.

@Neil, I am an overseas subscriber but I have not received any notifications about suspension of the paper copies, nor how to access anything - can you clarify?

Simon

Enough!14/05/2020 01:38:53
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Raymond Hodges on 13/05/2020 10:06:38:

Bandersnatch

I think you missed the point, why have a printed version and a digital at the same time, one or the other is enough,all I wanted was to use the Digital version and have access to the Digital Issues Archive.

You're right, that wasn't how I read it.

Roger Benson15/05/2020 20:17:33
35 forum posts
8 photos

I have paid for the digital subscription but my library in pocketmags is empty. I put my order number in to ACTIVATE it says details are invalid. I have tried this on my android phone and PC .

Any help would be appreciated.

JasonB15/05/2020 20:30:30
21652 forum posts
2495 photos
1 articles

You need your subscription number not order number if i remember rightly, should be a 10 digit one.

Edited By JasonB on 15/05/2020 20:33:59

Roger Benson15/05/2020 20:40:27
35 forum posts
8 photos

I don't have a subscription number. Neither email from my payment details a subscription number only an order number.

I agree that there should be one somewhere.

Roger Benson15/05/2020 20:41:59
35 forum posts
8 photos

I got the subscription on ketans advice to read your milling articles.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
walker midge
JD Metals
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest