Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Metric Screwcutting on imperial ML7

life of archive

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
LG09/05/2020 17:34:03
16 forum posts

Last November I received an email from <<noreply@model engineer. co uk>> referring me to a thread on metric screwcutting on an imperial Myford Super 7 with gearbox. Link to << **LINK**

I am eternally grateful to whoever sent me this link. I have read it probably 30 times and have bought Brian Wood's book "Gearing of Lathes for Screwcutting"

I am bemused by mention of 16-1/2 tooth gear wheels etc and am on the point of buying some bits once I can find the serial nos. of the lathe and gearbox - mine has the power bulge i.d.ing it as an early gearbox. The lathe is a mid 50's unit in quite good condition.

btw I know where the serial nos. are supposed to be but so far cannot find them.

The reason for this post is to query the availability lifetime of the thread archive (I would be zapped without it) and aslo to ask how to get a printout of the metric threads tables included in the various postings.

Hope I have posted this in the correct topic?

Regards, Les Rix

Neil Wyatt09/05/2020 17:53:35
18805 forum posts
733 photos
80 articles

Hi Les,

There's no definite lifetime for the forum, but it is third-party backed up to web.archive.org which has 347 snapshots...

To print images, right click and 'view' to see as large as possible., then right click and save as to save them as a jpeg on your computer which you can print.

Neil

Simon Williams 309/05/2020 18:07:04
617 forum posts
81 photos

That "16-1/2" tooth gear was perpetrated by me, with active encouragement from the late John Stevenson.

If you want to pursue the matter further let me know what suits.

Rgds Simon

Enough!09/05/2020 18:38:12
1719 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Leslie Rix on 09/05/2020 17:34:03:

The reason for this post is to query the availability lifetime of the thread archive (I would be zapped without it) and aslo to ask how to get a printout of the metric threads tables included in the various postings.

You could try printing each page of the thread to a pdf file to keep as a record. Or indeed print each page to your printer and store the hard-copy.

Howard Lewis09/05/2020 19:33:53
5540 forum posts
13 photos

The ideal for a 7 Series Myford is a 127T gear, for a supposedly perfect translation Imperial / Metric or vice versa, .although it is large (6.45 " O)D ) I had one!

"Supposedly" because even the Leadscrew may have slight errors!

Others use a 63T gear (popular with mini lathe users ) It is not absolutely accurate, but the error is small, as Brian Wood's book shows, and for most purposes can be ignored.

Howard

Howard Lewis09/05/2020 19:34:06
5540 forum posts
13 photos

The ideal for a 7 Series Myford is a 127T gear, for a supposedly perfect translation Imperial / Metric or vice versa, .although it is large (6.45 " O)D ) I had one!

Others use a 63T gear (popular with mini lathe users ) It is not absolutely accurate, but the error is small, as Brian Wood's book shows, and for most purposes can be ignored.

Howard

Michael Gilligan09/05/2020 19:41:55
19285 forum posts
960 photos
Posted by Howard Lewis on 09/05/2020 19:33:53:

[…]

< Pedant Alert > ... but I feel obliged to say it:

The translation is perfect ... but remember GIGO

MichaelG.

Howard Lewis10/05/2020 15:24:22
5540 forum posts
13 photos

Quite right Michael.

But we are all in thrall to any error in the leadscrews or graduations on our machines

According to the DROs on my mini lathe, the Cross and Top slides are 10 tpi. The leadcsrew is 1.5 mm pitch!

Ok as long as you know the error and can compensate for it.

May not matter if you are cutting the male and female threads on the same machine, since a 9.99 tpi pitch will mate quite nicely with another!

Don't want to start a hare running about traceabilty back to NPL standards!

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
walker midge
rapid Direct
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest