Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Siemens does not like me...!

Solid edge stays silent

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Versaboss09/05/2020 17:16:56
458 forum posts
51 photos

So I wanted also to see what all this noise about Solid edge is. Download Thursday night, went to sleep and installed on Friday. No hiccup, all ok. Then I clicked on one of the offered instruction files, and learned something about the different setups. But I had much trouble reading all, it's is in a very small and fuzzy font, and light blue on white is poison for my eyes. So when I stopped I was shown a box asking if this was helpful. I clicked 'no' and had the opportunity to write a remark. So I did, mentioning the two points above.

Returning today for another try, and nothing works. All the instruction boxes on the start screen are inaccessible...

Maybe that's the end with Solid Edge for me.

Regards,
Hans

Simon Williams 309/05/2020 18:08:25
523 forum posts
80 photos

Some people just can't take criticism....

Andrew Firman09/05/2020 22:25:20
34 forum posts
18 photos

Earlier today I tried to download Solid Edge 2D but it seemed their server was down and I got a message to try later.

Ady109/05/2020 22:49:57
3853 forum posts
522 photos

CAD progs can be really weird if they need an internet connection

I couldn't get DSmechanical to work for about 2 years on my Win7 64 system and was stuck with win xp

Then one day it suddenly let me register and get going

So be patient... if it's a CAD you really want to use

Barrie Lever09/05/2020 23:29:05
688 forum posts
76 photos

I think as Andrew suggests they have some server issue today as the online help has not been working.

I can still run the 3D Solid Edge as that does not seem to need a connection all of the time (probably once every 30 days who knows)

Stick with it though as the programme is bomb proof, I have been really cruel to it trying to do crazy things but it never crashes.

The synchronous modelling is very neat, you can pull bits of the model around that you would not have thought possible.

I have not used Catia although I have hovered over many CAD jockeys to cajole them along whilst driving Catia and I have not used Solid works, so cannot comment on those two, but it is knocking all the others that I have experience of into the ditch.

Any CAD package has a fairly steep learning curve and these higher end 3D packages have an ever steeper curve due to the immense capability.

B.

Edited By Barrie Lever on 09/05/2020 23:30:21

not done it yet09/05/2020 23:41:01
4994 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Simon Williams 3 on 09/05/2020 18:08:25:

Haha! Can happen at any time. I remember my wife giving Ashford hospital a poor review of her treatment.

Canterbury treated her broken wrist but could not re-set it - quick, prompt treatment and then Ashford was lousy. Re-set after nearly seven hours of waiting (not good for a cancer patient half way through her chemo course, among several other things). The review was suddenly cut short and not included in their ratings. Surprise, surprise!

On this occasion it may be a computer glitch. We shall see...?

IanT09/05/2020 23:43:49
1603 forum posts
150 photos

I think it might help if you use the link that Raymond Anderson gave us a few weeks back - it's the one I used

Solid Edge Community Edition

I tried Googling 'Solid Edge' and got mixed results and also part of the Siemens site seems to be down for maintenance at the moment too.

Andrew - I'm no expert on the history of SE products but I think you should try the SE Community Edition above rather than the (older I think) "free" 2D version that you may have found. I've started to pull parts of my existing 2D work over to SE and I've been able to open them and change / dimension them using SE just as simple 2D sketches - with of course the possibility of extruding them out in 3D should I wish to do so.

Hope this helps - keep trying, it's worth it!

Regards,

IanT

Raymond Anderson10/05/2020 07:41:49
774 forum posts
152 photos

You only need a internet connection for Downloading. Never any need for the internet after that to run the software.

Nick Clarke 310/05/2020 10:43:50
877 forum posts
28 photos
Posted by not done it yet on 09/05/2020 23:41:01:
Posted by Simon Williams 3 on 09/05/2020 18:08:25:

Haha! Can happen at any time. I remember my wife giving Ashford hospital a poor review of her treatment.

I have been a great supporter of the NHS for as long as I can remember. My Dad spent 40 years as a medic with them but I am always a bit bemused when attending hospital or surgery and they offer me a 'Friends and Families' form to review the place.

I know they would be given good treatment, but no - I don't want my friends and family to need to go to hospital!

not done it yet10/05/2020 11:25:30
4994 forum posts
20 photos

We would avoid both Ashford and Shrewsbury for reasons of sub-standard service (more so Shrewsbury) but we both cannot fault Papworth and Peterborough. Totally different experiences.

Graham Meek10/05/2020 13:45:58
262 forum posts
184 photos

Solid edge is not working on any of their options, I was trying yesterday.

Off topic I know, but such forms handed out at NHS visits are to satisfy the tick box. Plus good ratings are used to outweigh the poor ones, yes these are sad I know. My Father fought cancer for 30 years, he received nothing but the highest care. This was one of the reasons I joined the NHS for 10 years in the twilight of my career, I wish I was able to assist now.

Regards

Gray,

Raymond Anderson10/05/2020 14:06:55
774 forum posts
152 photos

Well said Gray.

Raymond Anderson10/05/2020 14:16:52
774 forum posts
152 photos

Certain servers are off line for maintenance. They should be up and running hopefully by tomorrow.

Robin King10/05/2020 14:18:34
111 forum posts
1 photos

FWIW I tried downloading the 2D version a couple of days ago off the original quoted link but it was indicating a download time of more than 2 hours. Even allowing for our rural broadband that's a bit too long for me so I abandoned it. Nonetheless if the Youtube videos are to be believed it would be worth trying at the very least so I'll have to give it another go soon from IanT's link, though that wasn't working this a.m.

Robin King10/05/2020 14:22:10
111 forum posts
1 photos

Afterthought - does anyone know if that package can use UK imperial dimensions?

Raymond Anderson10/05/2020 14:37:00
774 forum posts
152 photos

Robin, The imperial dims supported are ANSI

Robin King10/05/2020 18:26:47
111 forum posts
1 photos

Ah so. In my ignorance - what's the difference from UK imperial dims?

Raymond Anderson10/05/2020 19:12:48
774 forum posts
152 photos

Couldn't tell you, You asked if it was UK Imperial I informed you Solid Edge does ANSI imperial. Unless its the formatting. I really don't know what the difference is.

Emgee10/05/2020 19:29:54
1701 forum posts
225 photos
Posted by Robin King on 10/05/2020 18:26:47:

Ah so. In my ignorance - what's the difference from UK imperial dims?

Robin

Check in at the following link for more info on ANSI, American National Standards Institute.

**LINK**

Emgee

Robin King10/05/2020 21:18:34
111 forum posts
1 photos

Thank you both. R

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest