Help needed in finding info and eng. drawings on this 2-2-2

Saved it from a Scrap Metal Yard in Melbourne Australia

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
david broadbent 109/05/2020 07:45:48
7 forum posts
4 photos

Hello everyone,

apart from my introductory post a few days ago this is my first post here and asking about my 2-2-2 chassis is actually one of the prime reasons for joining.

The reason behind my questions

I wish to get it operational as a rolling chassis so I need to make some missing parts. I assume it a UK design and that I could find some drawings for it and possibly some advice on the best method to make the missing parts.

Reasons for not making a boiler is I just wish to have it 'run'':-

1. on low pressure compressed air to use in STEM classes for Primary Schools I visit. I will write more on this another time.

2. personally at home to use on compressed air at a pressure comparable to what would have been its operating steam pressure.

Background

So I have a 2-2-2. Missing the Conrod Big end + connections to the cranks and the main axle spring blocks.

I got it from a Scrap Metal Yard where it was there along with a lot of other engines (some complete).

Yard owner said a young girl drove a car in with trailer, said ''this junk was from her Granddads house", and she wanted money for it.

I asked what they paid pretending to be curious more than interested. Indian/Pakistan guy worker said scrap metal value, of course, nothing more !" Grudgingly she accepted it.

I got this engine, less the boiler as copper scrap was paying serious money so they wanted to keep it. I offered double scrap value, but guy said I was lucky to get the metal chassis as their rule was NOTHING leaves yard except in the BIG Bins.

Few Facts

1. I am 69 this June 2020 and have NOT retired
  2. I was an apprentice trained as a Caterpillar Diesel Technician and also trained and worked for Rolls Royce Marine Division as a senior service engineer.
  3. Was taught pattern making and foundry casting at RMIT technical College. Also, hold Uni Post Degree qualifications in Robotics and Automation.
  4. Owned my Hercus 9" Model A lathe for now 40 years and used it throughout those years.
  5. Have a small mill (not Chinese) that uses chucks and collets from the lathe
  6. have a small hand shaper
  7. a home workshop size moving bed vintage planer
  8. and a huge selection of the necessary hand tools inc taps & dies Whitworth, BA, Metric SAE, and some weird instrument threads.
  9. an assortment of air and electric hand and pedestal tools
  10. and measuring tools inc gauge blocks, reamers mikes etc
  11. Yes, I also have a 3d printer.
  12. But have limited space in the area where my lathe etc is located.

Conclusion

I have a limited number of old back issues of Model Engineer from the 1940's but when I looked at them 6 years ago I did not see any hint of this engine or one similar.

I will try and post some images that I have stored on the site IMGUR dot come

https://imgur.com/a/yL35SoO

Hopefully they show ok here?

(EDITED here and removed the 4 image links as I found out about the Album function. and I have posted one image per post following)

I trust someone here can assist me.

Stay safe and keep well in these trying Covid-19 times

respectfully

David Broadbent

Melbourne

Australia

Edited By david broadbent 1 on 09/05/2020 08:07:09

david broadbent 109/05/2020 08:03:10
7 forum posts
4 photos

2-2-2 pic 1.jpg

david broadbent 109/05/2020 08:03:51
7 forum posts
4 photos

0nat4af - imgur.jpg

david broadbent 109/05/2020 08:04:21
7 forum posts
4 photos

oegdbh8 - imgur.jpg

david broadbent 109/05/2020 08:09:00
7 forum posts
4 photos

uop3yj2 - imgur.jpg

Michael Gilligan09/05/2020 10:46:57
15707 forum posts
687 photos

With luck like that, David ... You should probably invest in some Lottery tickets.

MichaelG.

DC31k09/05/2020 11:09:02
200 forum posts

I think it might assist your search if you let us know the gauge of the chassis.

Then, for instance, pages such as or similar in intent to:

http://www.n25ga.org/Designs/Designs%20Index.htm

could be greatly insightful.

You could try '2-2-2 model locomotive' in Google and look at images.

Otherwise, try and find a list of model locomotive designers (LBSC, Martin Errors, etc.) and if any of them did a 2-2-2 design.

Brian H09/05/2020 11:29:55
1637 forum posts
108 photos

The only engine I could think of was Jenny Lind in 3 1/2" by LBSC. Even if it's not that the drawings and castings from Reeves (no connection) may be of use.

Have a look at Reeves website:

**LINK**

Brian

Nicholas Farr09/05/2020 11:34:43
2262 forum posts
1099 photos

Hi David, as DC31k has said, knowing the gauge would help. LBSC's Grosvenor is a possible candidate, which is a 3 1/2" gauge, but I don't know where you may find any plans.

Regards Nick.

Nicholas Farr09/05/2020 11:38:29
2262 forum posts
1099 photos

Hi Brian H, I looked at Jenny Lind, but dismissed it because her frames for the leading and trailing wheels are on the outside. But as you say, the castings etc. for that could have been used.

Regards Nick.

P.S. take a look at this thread; Grosvenor

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 09/05/2020 11:57:18

david broadbent 109/05/2020 13:56:11
7 forum posts
4 photos

Thank you all for answering so far.

I apologize for missing the dimensions as I was focused on trying to add photos in the same way as I do on the Vintage Computer Forum but found you have to add them to an album here first. Plus with flaky Mobile Internet due to the heavy rain all day I was trying to get the text worded clearly.

10.47pm and I just jumped out of bed threw on 4 layers inc wet weather gear over PJ'S, dashed to my workshop, measured and now back in the warm house.

Its a 5" Gauge engine.

all the next dimensions are approx just done by eye with an old timber ruler.

Main Drive wheel is close enough to 6": diameter

Crank throw is about 1": so about 2":"piston travel

Lead and trail wheels are zbout 3.75" dia

Frame is about 20.5" long by about 7.25" wide

Thanks for the help and links and suggestions

regards

David

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest