Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Help identify this timber

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
old mart06/05/2020 20:50:21
2472 forum posts
169 photos

I am not sure if this wood in the rails of the fence is in need of treatment for rot or not. It is planed all round with the corners rounded off, and it looks to me like untreated timber used in interior house walls. There was another section with better definition, but it was upside down. So I took a picture of that with the camera upside down to compensate. When I looked at the picture on the rear screen, it was upside down.crying

The printing reads "dry graded EN14081 C24M KUREKSS/09 SGST WPPA PT CE 1224"

any timber experts on the forum?

_igp2593.jpg

pgk pgk06/05/2020 21:13:52
2024 forum posts
290 photos

...messing about on google tells me that's Latvian sustainable softwood conforming to C24 stuctural use. The PT implies pressure treated but I can't find a code of SGST which may or may not be the preservative...

pgk

JasonB07/05/2020 06:59:37
19568 forum posts
2142 photos
1 articles

PT does indeed mean it has been pressure treated with preservative, SGST is the species.

AdrianR07/05/2020 07:23:37
488 forum posts
25 photos

Im no expert, just looked into this when needing a post and rail fence built. The trouble is there are different grades of treatment, from suitable for dry indoors (UC1) to in ground contact (UC4).

If that is a fence then it should be UC3.2. I am a bit surprised that is C24, it is a better type of construction wood, bit of overkill for a fence. I would hazard a guess that it i only been treated for indoors (UC1 or UC2)

Adrian

Bruno Taylor08/05/2020 18:54:08
48 forum posts
14 photos

In my opinion wood preservative above and below ground is cosmetic. The important bit is at ground level. That is where the rot will occur.

Also, most fences, unless extremely well built get blown down long before they rot.

Steviegtr08/05/2020 19:23:08
1778 forum posts
235 photos

This time around I have dug out & concreted the concrete versions with slide in panels & barge boards. Dam hard work that was. As said above, sick of posts rotting out at ground level.

Steve.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest