By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Description required

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jack Tissington05/05/2020 13:56:29
1 forum posts
4 photos

img_0350.jpgimg_0347.jpgI've been toolmaking and precision machining for 50yrs, my next door neighbour found these items while clearing out his fathers shed. He asked what they were used for, I have no idea, which leaves me unhappy to realise after more than half my life fitting, turning, milling and grinding, I know nothing lol Please help.img_0346.jpg

Tony Pratt 105/05/2020 15:36:03
1350 forum posts
5 photos

Just finished a varied 'toolmaking and precision machining' career due to the lockdown & I have never seen the item you show but I'm guessing some kind of custom hand de-burring or smoothing tool [possibly]. Any manufacturers name on it?


Neil Wyatt05/05/2020 16:00:48
18416 forum posts
718 photos
78 articles

The bottom part looks like the long bolt with an odd head may fit inside it to expand the jaws to wedge it inside a pipe, except I cant see what it would push against to open the jaws.


Bo'sun05/05/2020 16:07:58
299 forum posts


Do you know if all of the parts are related? You could have more than one tool or gadget there.

DiogenesII05/05/2020 16:17:11
173 forum posts
72 photos

..maybe governor bobweights & parts from a diesel pump? ..or even a magneto?

SillyOldDuffer05/05/2020 16:40:56
6699 forum posts
1507 photos

I wonder if the plates and coil springs are part of a quick release mechanism or clip together assembly? If the plates were mounted the other way round in their holder, a spiked spigot would first open the plates but they would snap back under spring pressure and be held by the flat inner V


The other assemblies may be unrelated.


JasonB05/05/2020 19:11:23
19587 forum posts
2150 photos
1 articles

Can't see that working Dave as the two spiders that space the three plates out would stop anything being pushed up between them. Apart from that I don't know.

Bazyle05/05/2020 20:59:47
5703 forum posts
208 photos

It is assembled with the head of the bolt fitting in the deep V so that when tightened it causes the 'jaws' to move outwards and grip inside a tube. The round assembly fits on the top so effectively it is mounted on a tube or wheel that can revolve it. There is s spring loaded arm with an inserted blade element that probably runs round the inside of another second tube. The slot in the plate allows it to move out to contact the tube perhaps under centripetal force or a missing spring.
When something is pushed through a hole in the wall of the second tube it gets cut off once per revolution. Possibly a missing part of the unit pulls it through a fixed amount.

I think it is part of a carpet making machine that is designed to cut off wool.

D.A.Godley05/05/2020 22:21:13
112 forum posts
38 photos

Perhaps it’s meant to expand into a tube , such as a bobbin , from a weaving machine , either in the weaving process , or the loading of yarn onto the bobbin ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest