Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

lathe and other modeling equipment

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Angela Brown 105/05/2020 12:27:49
3 forum posts
4 photos

Hi all

I need some help and advice. Dad passed away February and I have a whole shed/workshop full of engineering and modeling equipment and tools. I have a lathe, drilling machine X 2, other machine bits and tools coming out of every cupboard. He was an engineer by trade but loved making steam locomotives out of brass. Any ideas on best way to find homes for all this.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Angie

Michael Gilligan05/05/2020 13:43:37
16633 forum posts
724 photos

Sorry for your loss, Angela

I would suggest an advertisement on this very site

... See the column to your right >>>

If you could post some photos into an Album, I’m sure we will all be happy to help with identification.

Like all new members, you will probably need to look at this: **LINK**

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=103028&p=1

MichaelG.

Peter Hall05/05/2020 13:50:58
114 forum posts
1 photos

Sad news about your Dad.

You may find the following link useful.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/news/article/disposing-of-a-workshop/22007

Pete

Angela Brown 107/05/2020 11:12:53
3 forum posts
4 photos

Dear Michael and Pete

Thank you both for taking the time to come back to me. The links which you have both given have been hugely helpful. My main concern is to rehome as much as possible to people who, like dad, loved and enjoyed his machines and tools gathered over 60+ years of working as an engineer and modeling. If dad couldn't mend anything then nobody could mend it. He always had something in the shed to do the job or he would just turn a new part. A good home is the more important but if we can sell some of the big pieces then of course this would be good as well. Would you mind if I trouble you again for some advice. If I take some pictures of the machinery at the weekend and post here, perhaps you could give me some guidance on what exactly it does and if people would be interested. Please do not feel obligated, you have already been a huge help. Thank you both again.

angie

Michael Gilligan07/05/2020 12:01:22
16633 forum posts
724 photos

You’re very welcome, Angela

MichaelG.

DMB07/05/2020 12:31:36
1031 forum posts

Hi Angela,

Sorry about your loss.

Was dad a member of a local model engineering club? If so, contact the Secretary, they usually have for sale notices on their clubhouse noticeboards. I would hope that if they've just lost a member they would let you advertise. Did he have friends with a common interest? Someone could advise on values of machines and tools. Could be helpful to say where you are, vaguely, like "London area" or "Manchester district". Dont put address on here. Hope this helps and good luck.

John

Peter Hall07/05/2020 12:42:43
114 forum posts
1 photos

Yes, more than welcome. I daresay there will be others who will chip in. Your father would have found many kindred spirits here.

Pete

Angela Brown 111/05/2020 14:37:20
3 forum posts
4 photos

Hi Pete and anyone else who can help

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has replied and emailed me. Your kind words and advice are very gratefully received and I have looked at some of the links. Ive finally taken some photos of the main bits of machinery which dad has. A Viceroy Denford TDS 1/1 Lathe, a Clarke drill of some sort, a grinder thingy, and a band saw whatever that is. All in very good working order. Used every week and last used January this year. More interested in rehoming to someone who will use and love it like dad rather than getting top dollar but it would be good if anyone could give me a rough value. We are in Harlow and unfortunately dad wasn't a member of a club so any help you can give me will be gratefully received. Angie ximage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Michael Gilligan11/05/2020 15:31:46
16633 forum posts
724 photos

If it’s in good functional condition [which! at first glance, appears so] ... That Denford should sell easily, for a decent price, via this forum.

MichaelG.

Pete Rimmer11/05/2020 16:08:06
809 forum posts
50 photos

I agree with Michael, the lathe is apparently an early Denford Viceroy TDS 1/1GB and appears to be in nice well-kept condition. If it helps you to sell it or answer queries the manual is here:

TDS 1/1GB Manual

P.S look in the cabinet, it might have extra bits that will add to the value.

Howard Lewis11/05/2020 16:25:46
3766 forum posts
3 photos

A sad task, but you attitude is admirable.

Any machine is more valuable if the accessories m(such as Chucks, steadies etc, or machine vices) are with it.

Am sure that those more knowledgeable than I will help with valuations.

With travel restrictions being eased, now,, that should improve matters.

Howard

magpie11/05/2020 16:31:22
463 forum posts
80 photos

It would no doubt help Angela if someone could suggest reasonable values for the items she has shown here. Sad to say that I don't have a clue so am unable to help the lady. Hi Angela. (a bit late frown), another good place to sell such items would be the HOMEWORKSHOP site. I don't know how to put a link on here but I am sure some other member could do that for you.

Regards, Dek.

S.D.L.11/05/2020 16:42:42
224 forum posts
37 photos

A quick search advanced search on Ebay for Viceroy TDS shows prices of 450 - 500 pounds.

I would try to sell on this site first and / or here **LINK**

Steve

Martin King 211/05/2020 16:59:30
728 forum posts
279 photos

Angela,

You have a PM, look for the blinking INBOX icon.

Regards, Martin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest