Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Myford dividing head enhancements

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
DC31k25/04/2020 08:43:08
662 forum posts
2 photos

Does anyone have any useful enhancements or modifications to a Myford dividing head that they could describe?

I am aware of the bar support in Arnold Throp's book.

There is the method of fixing the head to the end of the lathe spindle, described here:

http://bhi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/HJ-April-2017-Article-of-the-Month.pdf

(Side note: the BHI articles of the month provide interesting reading)

I was thinking of extending the 1/4" BSF tailstock centre clamping capscrew and using a support screwed to that down to the machine bed.

Other than that, I do not recall seeing much on this accessory.

Thanks.

Martin Kyte25/04/2020 08:49:53
2728 forum posts
48 photos

I think that is because they were hellishly expensive at the time and most people I know buily the version the drove the Bull wheel as described in George Thomas' book.

I do have a Myford dividing head. Picked up at a show second hand at a reasonable price which I do use on occasion.

I also have the raising block.

regards Martin

David Davies 825/04/2020 09:07:09
163 forum posts
9 photos

I have almost completed an adaptor to hang a Myford DH off the tail end of my Boxford CSB. It is essentially as the one referred to above in the BHI Journal. To get the DH at a sensible position I chose to support it from the banjo spigot on the LH lead screw bearing via an arm locating on a plug fitted to the DH over arm socket.

HTH

Dave

John Haine25/04/2020 09:19:18
4639 forum posts
273 photos

In my album there are some photos of the mods I made to drive the Myford DH with a stepper motor and a Ward controller. Works very well, no need for plates, does division, angle, continuous rotation.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest