Pēnei i a tātou kua mahue nei

E kore hoki rātou e ngoikore

Ahakoa pehea i ngā āhuatanga o te wā

I te hekenga atu o te rā

Tae noa ki te aranga mai i te ata

Ka maumahara tonu tātou ki a rātou

Ka maumahara tonu tātou ki a rātou.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,

We will remember them

We will remember them.

Phil Whitley24/04/2020 19:35:21
1251 forum posts
147 photos

LIKE!!

Neil Wyatt24/04/2020 19:57:51
18141 forum posts
713 photos
77 articles

Just checked - I see it's Anzac Day with you but still the 24th here!

Forgive my ignorance, I assume that the first part is in Maori? Is it a translation of Binyon's poem or is it something else?

Neil

Robert Butler24/04/2020 20:20:11
156 forum posts
6 photos

We should remember them! Robert Butler

Bruce Edney24/04/2020 20:20:39
161 forum posts
53 photos

Yes Neil the first part is the Māori translation and it is a section of Binyon's poem

I had just come in from standing at our gate at 6am for an Lockdown dawn service.

Piper's lament, Last post and Ode of rememberance were all broadcast on local radio/internet stations

For more info have a look here

Cheers

Bruce

Edited By Bruce Edney on 24/04/2020 20:21:34

Nimble24/04/2020 21:42:48
41 forum posts
2 photos

Even in Lockdown We stood at the gate and remembered them.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Neil Wyatt25/04/2020 00:41:42
18141 forum posts
713 photos
77 articles

Thanks Bruce,

Very similar yet distinct from our own Remembrance Day, 11th November.

Neil

Bandersnatch25/04/2020 01:32:20
1716 forum posts
60 photos
Posted by Bruce Edney on 24/04/2020 20:20:39:

Yes Neil the first part is the Māori translation

... complete with macrons too (coincidentally been learning about those somewhere else recently).

mick H25/04/2020 07:14:26
723 forum posts
21 photos

My Dad fought with the Anzacs in the North African campaign and subsequently up through Italy to Germany. He had a very high regard for them and reckoned that they were the finest of fighting troops.

Mick

Old School25/04/2020 07:59:51
351 forum posts
30 photos

I remember the ANZAC clubs in the Pacific Islands above Australia from my Merchant Navy days. It was from the days of tramp ships voyages of between 7 to 10 months were the norm it was a good life for a single bloke. We use to pick up copra from round the islands the ship was then full of black copra bugs.

Edited By Old School on 25/04/2020 08:01:48

Tony Pratt 125/04/2020 09:03:12
1190 forum posts
5 photos
Posted by mick H on 25/04/2020 07:14:26:

My Dad fought with the Anzacs in the North African campaign and subsequently up through Italy to Germany. He had a very high regard for them and reckoned that they were the finest of fighting troops.

Mick

Funnily enough my dad fought with the Americans & didn't think much of them shall we say, but had great respect for the German soldier.

Tony

Howard Lewis25/04/2020 18:03:41
3544 forum posts
2 photos

We should all pay tribute to those who gave so much to defend things that we now tend to take for granted.

Howard

oldvelo26/04/2020 07:00:53
231 forum posts
52 photos

Anzac Day commemorates the Gallipoli Landing on 25th April 1915 2779 New Zealanders, about a sixth of all those who had landed on the peninsula lost their lives and 4,852 wounded.

Martin Dilly 226/04/2020 15:33:45
34 forum posts
4 photos

Oldvelo asks earlier in the Trump thread what one on Trump has to do with model engineering. I suggest that it’s a lot more relevant than this thread that follows it, about ANZAC Day, which, incidentally, I found most moving. Remembering Gallipoli is unlikely to get the world involved in a major military conflict, whereas having an unstable ignoramus in charge of a nation with probably the most potential to destroy us all, model engineers included, needs our attention. If focussing our attention on this via a spot of humour upsets the religious offenderati then I suggest listening to some of Christopher Hitchens or Bill Maher’s pieces on YouTube might change their perspectives.

Bandersnatch26/04/2020 17:33:58
1716 forum posts
60 photos

I'm speechless that someone would subvert this genuinely decent thread to push their own politically-biased agenda.

SillyOldDuffer26/04/2020 18:40:17
6194 forum posts
1345 photos

The UK owes much to Commonwealth armed forces in both World Wars and in other emergencies. I remember reading immediately after Dunkirk that the only trained, organised and fully equipped ground forces in England were a small British Brigade and a full Canadian Division. The rest of the British Army were either raw recruits or had lost all their heavy equipment at Dunkirk. Most of the army was at least a year from becoming effective again, scary.

Having the Canadians present in good fighting order stiffened British resolve to carry on. And I'm sure the Nazi's would have had a tough time with them had they managed to get past the RN and RAF and on to the beaches. Chilling to think of South East England being a high-intensity battleground, but a Canadian victory there might have ended WW2 in 1940. A failed invasion of England would have pricked the myth that Hitler was invincible, which is why he chose not to risk it.

Dave

oldvelo26/04/2020 23:06:10
231 forum posts
52 photos

Martin Dilly Get your jib down this is Brown's Yard. This thread is about Anzac Day Commemoration NOT a game of Political Football "Kia Kaha Arohanui Aotearoha".

Danny M2Z27/04/2020 10:22:04
892 forum posts
283 photos

Thanks Bruce and all the other considerate people who remembered ANZAC Day.

It is strange to think that us people down-under remember a military disaster (Gallipoli) but it was a bonding moment for the people of the new nations in the southern seas.

My late uncle-in-law Maurice Jessop landed at ANZAC Cove aged 15 with the 4th Bn. I was quite honoured to be his mate after I married. After Gallipoli Maurice served on the Western front and the only thing he told me was that it was a bit scary to go 'back-packing across no-mans-land behind the German lines to grab a prisoner or just to creat a bit of merry hell'.

Myself joined the Australian Army when the Vietnam War was winding down and the recruiters made me count cogs and gear ratios and decided to make me into an electronics techo.

Many happy hours were then spent machining basics. I loved the lathework but filing a steel cube with 1" sides soon got a bit tedious.

I managed to pass this phase and once I got into a unit life just got better. The mates I made back then are the best blokes that I ever worked with, Ended up doing 30 years with a bit of Emergency Reserve duty.

If I had my time again I would probably do the same again.

Here is a great rendition of The Last Post by a talented young lady Last Post

Lest We Forget

56783 Danny M

Edited By Danny M2Z on 27/04/2020 10:24:29

Edited By Danny M2Z on 27/04/2020 10:24:54

Pete.27/04/2020 16:49:20
222 forum posts
36 photos
Posted by Martin Dilly 2 on 26/04/2020 15:33:45:

Oldvelo asks earlier in the Trump thread what one on Trump has to do with model engineering. I suggest that it’s a lot more relevant than this thread that follows it, about ANZAC Day, which, incidentally, I found most moving. Remembering Gallipoli is unlikely to get the world involved in a major military conflict, whereas having an unstable ignoramus in charge of a nation with probably the most potential to destroy us all, model engineers included, needs our attention. If focussing our attention on this via a spot of humour upsets the religious offenderati then I suggest listening to some of Christopher Hitchens or Bill Maher’s pieces on YouTube might change their perspectives.

That's incredibly disrespectful to start discussions like this in this thread.

Bruce Edney28/04/2020 05:15:15
161 forum posts
53 photos

Martin,

This post was place in "The Tea Room" category which the purpose of is clearly stated as "the place for discussion of any issues that aren't in the forum mainstream."

You are right it has nothing to do with model engineering as such but I am pretty sure that if the average of the memebrs of this forum is anything like the average age of the club I used to attend then a rememberance day reminder becomes quite appropriate.

Stay safe and stay home

Bruce

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest