Drilling carbon fibre

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Former Member16/04/2020 14:30:19

[This posting has been removed]

John Haine16/04/2020 14:39:16
3529 forum posts
194 photos

The Novamill sits in an enclosure which limits how long a workpiece can be even if it overhangs the table. In the other direction the hole position is limited by the throat depth, for at least one hole. So I think I'm limited to direct drilling.

Just had a dig around in my miscellaneous cutter draw and come across a little bag with a haul of 3.5 mm carbide mills from JB, will give one of those a whirl. I have spare material so can afford to experiment.

JasonB16/04/2020 15:49:01
19538 forum posts
2136 photos
1 articles

I thought the Nova's enclosure sloped down towards the front and you would be able to do it with the work sticking out the front? Mounting at 45deg may cure the throat issue if you need to drill a fair distance in from one end.

Edited By JasonB on 16/04/2020 16:04:44

duncan webster16/04/2020 16:02:33
2940 forum posts
34 photos

However the OP manages to drill his holes, I'd be interested in learning about Robertson's clock. The Wikipedia page has a lot of words but no diagram, so less than easy to understand.

Michael Gilligan16/04/2020 19:34:44
17011 forum posts
756 photos
Posted by duncan webster on 16/04/2020 16:02:33:

However the OP manages to drill his holes, I'd be interested in learning about Robertson's clock. The Wikipedia page has a lot of words but no diagram, so less than easy to understand.

You might do well to start here, Duncan : **LINK**

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/engineering/news/2019/robertson-clock.html

[quote]
As part of this initiative, Professor Robertson’s original engineering drawings will be made available online for the next generation of horologists. The clock was made by Messrs. Brecknell, Munro and Rogers of Thrissell Street, Bristol, “mechanical, electrical, and tramway engineers”.
[/quote]

MichaelG.

duncan webster16/04/2020 22:58:07
2940 forum posts
34 photos

Been there, a mine of information it isn't. The Wikipedia article isn't much better.

Michael Gilligan16/04/2020 23:03:18
17011 forum posts
756 photos

You’re welcome, Duncan

John Haine17/04/2020 08:25:50
3529 forum posts
194 photos

Duncan, I sent you a PM.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
cowells
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest