Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What am i going to make with this scrap

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steviegtr10/04/2020 00:55:56
1166 forum posts
99 photos

Well my son has put new compliance bushes on his Golf GTI front suspension & was throwing away 2 of these. I said no I will have them. Solid Alloy 1st thing I saw was taking the old bushes out & milling something a bit different. Tig welding an alloy bottom on one end. A little handle on the piece sticking out. Then using it for cutting fluid with a little brush. Polish it all up.

Any other idea's. Too good to throw away.

Steve.

golf parts.jpg

Speedy Builder510/04/2020 08:01:07
1988 forum posts
139 photos

More scrap ?

not done it yet10/04/2020 08:12:28
4514 forum posts
16 photos

Melt them and cast something useful - just round or flat bar would be a start.

Chris Evans 610/04/2020 09:31:39
1631 forum posts

For me messing with those would be misdirected energy.

Perko710/04/2020 09:53:37
320 forum posts
24 photos

Cup-holder to bolt to the side of the lathe or milling machine??

SillyOldDuffer10/04/2020 10:09:22
5651 forum posts
1159 photos

Good idea, time for Steve to stop improving his tools and put them to work! Converting an odd shape into something useful is always satisfying, and holding and cutting that odd shape will be a worthwhile exercise.

However, rather than going free-form as artists sometimes do with an angle grinder, a better engineering exercise is work to a dimensioned plan. Looking good isn't the main engineering challenge, rather the hard part is first making objects to a particular pre-planned size and finish. (Any fool can polish an old penny, much harder to make a replica.)

I'd suggest some other targets just to make it interesting. Everything in the new shape to be made from the Golf part, and at least two parts must be screwed together.

Go for it!

Dave

Vic10/04/2020 10:18:42
2497 forum posts
14 photos

Given the published poor reliability of German cars I’d have let it go in the bin ... smiley

BOB BLACKSHAW10/04/2020 10:25:23
295 forum posts
64 photos

Reading this post on scrap and what can be made from that, I made two of these the other week. A flower pot ,a kneeling mat, a bit of stainless from a waste bin, a bit of old sofit board, roasting rack for the feet, and a beer ca a bit of rod for the counterbalance . They make good wind garden ornaments, it would be good for some others making one as a rest from the shed as they can be made outside in this nice weather.

Bobdscn1168.jpg

Edited By BOB BLACKSHAW on 10/04/2020 10:34:36

AdrianR10/04/2020 12:15:34
448 forum posts
23 photos

You could make a pair of coffee cups to match This Old Tony's Coffee Pot

magpie10/04/2020 12:24:44
451 forum posts
80 photos

Apart from the electrics, I made this entirely from scrap.The finished clock.

Alfie Peacock10/04/2020 12:24:46
52 forum posts
1 photos

That's good Bob, I brought one like that made out of a coconut, I think I'll have a go at making one.

Alfie

Bazyle10/04/2020 13:09:00
5145 forum posts
199 photos
Posted by Vic on 10/04/2020 10:18:42:

Given the published poor reliability of German cars I’d have let it go in the bin ... smiley

you mean if he follows his original intention of a cutting fluid container he will find himself using more than he expected? wink

Steviegtr10/04/2020 13:35:03
1166 forum posts
99 photos
Posted by Bazyle on 10/04/2020 13:09:00:
Posted by Vic on 10/04/2020 10:18:42:

you mean if he follows his original intention of a cutting fluid container he will find himself using more than he expected? wink

Yes probably due to my poor Alloy welding though.

Steve.

Howard Lewis10/04/2020 15:35:17
3160 forum posts
2 photos

If you can find a use for the parent metal, it is raw material, not scrap.

It is only scrap when it is either too small to hold, or blue and curly!

One of my show stand attractions, I hope, started life as an aluminium alloy candlestick. It stands alongside another made by a friend using a modified bicycle wheel.

Let your imagination run riot! "It will come in handy one day"

Howard

Lofty10/04/2020 16:49:18
8 forum posts
2 photos

A Scrap conrod into a clock

Conrod Clock

Lofty

Nigel Graham 211/04/2020 00:23:13
590 forum posts

Scrap? No. New to me.

I cut the original motor-plinth from the back of my Harrison lathe cabinet as it made the machine stand a wasteful foot away from the wall, in a workshop already tight for space. The new 3ph motor, physically smaller than the 1ph motor it replaced, is on a frame above the headstock, where it's also clear of dust and dirt around the floor. I had to modify the guard to suit.

I didn't throw the welded-steel box away, not with a lot of 5/8-, 1/2 and 1/8- inch plate on it, though it took a fair number of 4.5 inch cutting discs to dismantle.

One of the thick bits is earmarked for my wagon con-rods, the thin bits have supplied material for the wagon and the workshop hoist. A small off-cut picked up from the floor became a washer for a bolt clamping work to an angle-plate.

A manual winch I built for a cave-digging project on Mendip uses a fabricated PVC drum thrown out at work (a left-over from something), between hexagonal frames I welded (well, very-hot-glued) from old miniature-railway rails that looked as if they'd been dragged through a hedge backwards then left there - as they had, for a couple of years in fact.

There's something satisfying in finding a tatty, heavily-rusted old steel bar or plate has decent steel inside it waiting to be let out and put to new use. As long as it's easier to machine than some old cable-drum tie-rods I have in stock.

The only new-to-me items I've really had to abandon hope on, were a cast-iron sash-weight so hard it even defeated a heavy hacksawing machine at work, a bit of architectural cast-iron that was free-cutting but with blow-holes reminding me of a pikelet, and a half-shaft too hard even for a carbide tip.

Actually I tell a lie... I recall now the cast-iron pikelet was useless for a piston but fine for the heavy inner part of the lid on my steam-wagon's vertical ' stoking-shoot ', as the original was described.

Steviegtr11/04/2020 00:51:54
1166 forum posts
99 photos
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 11/04/2020 00:23:13:

Scrap? No. New to me.

I cut the original motor-plinth from the back of my Harrison lathe cabinet as it made the machine stand a wasteful foot away from the wall, in a workshop already tight for space. The new 3ph motor, physically smaller than the 1ph motor it replaced, is on a frame above the headstock, where it's also clear of dust and dirt around the floor. I had to modify the guard to suit.

Oh my god & I thought I was bad. The steel stock holder is never going to make a profit out of you. wink

Steve.

Paul Lousick11/04/2020 04:35:56
1378 forum posts
532 photos

No such thing as scrap. Instead a valuable source of raw material. Unless it is too small to hold in a vice or lathe chuck. Its only after you throw it out that you realise a use for it.

Paul.

Nicholas Farr11/04/2020 09:20:06
2218 forum posts
1066 photos

Hi, well I like things made from "scrap" however, scrap is really something that cannot be reused in the form it is in and has to be reprocess, i.e. for any metal means melting it down. I really prefer the term reuse and I do it quite a lot. In my day jobs that I've had, just about everything that I've made used new material and this became less of a challenge over the years, as it was more to do with experience and routine. Making useful things from discarded items is much more of a challenge, because some things just don't work, so you have to think about it more and do work arounds. The compass shown below was made with all used materials from many different items, but with the exception of a 15 screws a short piece of S/S TIG welding wire and the level and some Danish Oil on the stand, although I have had the level kicking about for 40 odd years, the new screws I had to use, because I didn't have those sizes in used ones, but again they were all old stock.

magnetic compass.jpg

These candlesticks however, are completely made from used material, nothing new except a drop of thread locking compound on one item on both of them.

cimg2550.jpg

Regards Nick.

P.S. I like your clock Lofty.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 11/04/2020 09:36:11

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest