Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Coronavirus - How To Register as Vulnerable

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Wyatt08/04/2020 16:36:36
18232 forum posts
714 photos
77 articles

A lot of people with conditions that make them particularly vulnerable to coronavirus are concerned that they have not received letters about special support.

This may include some forum members.

My GP Health Centre texted me earlier saying not to contact them as the letters are being generated centrally and giving a link to register if you feel you should have had a letter but haven't.

**LINK**

Neil

Steviegtr08/04/2020 16:56:37
1495 forum posts
163 photos

Neil I have not had a letter yet. But a txt yesterday to tell me I was one of the high risk people. It said there would be a letter to follow. So maybe they are struggling a bit.

Steve.

Martin Connelly08/04/2020 17:28:05
1460 forum posts
166 photos

The register has been available on line for a while, long before letters were being sent out. I can't remember where I saw it reported with a link to it, it may have been Facebook or something similar. I think if you go to www.uk.gov there will be a link to it or a search function.

Martin C

Coronavirus register start page

Link added

Edited By Martin Connelly on 08/04/2020 17:33:24

Peter G. Shaw08/04/2020 19:28:36
1167 forum posts
44 photos

Somewhat unfortunately I have had:

2 identical letters - one from the GP & one from the Health Authority;

1 from the Government (Hancock & Jenrick);

1 from Johnson;

1 from the GP (slightly different this time).

And I'm absolutely pig sick of being told what I knew before this lot blew up. As Neil knows, I was diagnosed with lung cancer 6 or 7 months ago, so it was darned obvious that I was going to be "at risk", and I don't need all this drumming into me! I'm also darned fed up of seeing earnest looking people on the box rubbing it in!

Now ok, perhaps I'm being a bit disingenous here, and perhaps I should be grateful for it all, but I do wonder how much energy, time & postage has been wasted on this. I'm actually reminded of an incident some 30+ years ago when the company I worked for was privatised. There was letters sent to each individual in the company about it; articles in the union and in-house magazines; notices on the notice boards, and then to cap it all, as a manager I was instructed to tell the staff about it. For heaven's sake why, can't they read? And if they choose to ignore it then that should be their lookout. Similar to this lot. If people haven't taken it in, which some appear not to have done, then by all means use the Police. But please stop lecturing everyone else.

I should point out that I'm also 76, and male (last time I looked anyway) so I'm right at the top of the list for early death, not that I'm looking forward to it, but it still does grate, especially as I had hoped to go on to say my mid '80's.

Final thought. Is there any point in starting any projects? Or attempting to complete existing projects?

Peter G. Shaw

Former Member08/04/2020 19:39:35
1329 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Peter G. Shaw08/04/2020 20:09:57
1167 forum posts
44 photos

Bill,

I've pruned the letters. The tv digibox has failed (new one on order) and whilst I agree that most of the tv offerings are utter rubbish, there are some gems available, eg the Jennifer Ehle/Colin Firth Pride & Prejudice which I've lost due to the failure. Perhaps a DVD set is indicated.

The trouble is, it took 2 or 3 months to get over the diagnostic shock, and then winter was upon us when even 4 KW of heat doesn't make much impression in my garage so I devoted a lot of time to genealogy, and now it's getting warmer and Covid-19 is upon us - just as we were thinking about getting the caravan out!

Classic FM. Totally agree.

Not sure about the 90's - it seems to me that a lot of people beyond the mid-80's start to lose quite a lot of ability, both mental & physical. My father managed to reach 91, but not without something of a struggle in his late 80's onwards, plus I knew a man who reached 94, but spent the last 2 or 3 years just waiting for death. My mother reached 85, but her memory was failing and had been for 2 or 3 years.

I've said this before - I've 13 year old granddaoghter who I'd like to see married, say in 10 years time eg my age 86, plus I've a 4 year old granddaughter who I'll never see married. That's my wish.

Peter G. Shaw

Adam Mara08/04/2020 22:06:02
118 forum posts
8 photos

I am 80, had an 'eye stoke' 5 weeks ago, leaving me with severe double vision, and unable to drive. My wife has breathing difficulties due to treatment for cancer, but we don't qualify! We have had Tesco deliveries for the last four years, our last one is tomorrow, as we cannot get any more, tried to complain but they don't accept emails, the phone line is never answered and a letter to the CEO also goes unanswered.

Neil Wyatt08/04/2020 22:16:00
18232 forum posts
714 photos
77 articles

Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 08/04/2020 19:28:36:

I'm actually reminded of an incident some 30+ years ago when the company I worked for was privatised. There was letters sent to each individual in the company about it; articles in the union and in-house magazines; notices on the notice boards, and then to cap it all, as a manager I was instructed to tell the staff about it. For heaven's sake why, can't they read? And if they choose to ignore it then that should be their lookout.

But did they tell Sid?

Clive Hartland08/04/2020 22:36:06
2606 forum posts
40 photos

It is likely that one of the big supermarkets will email you and offer a priority home delivery, thats what I got.

Also I hear that first time delivery payments are being blocked by the Banks? As I live less than a half mile from a shopping mall I will forgoe the offer and risk it as i have for the last month.Standing in the queue is wearing and tedious with a trapped nerve.

Worse still is the fact that the garden cenetrs are shut so i cannot get grow bags for my greenhouse, I have planted seed in pots but will be unable to grow them on.

duncan webster08/04/2020 23:03:30
2795 forum posts
41 photos

Not that I'm into gardening (I just do what SWMBO requires by way of grunt work) Blue Diamond Garden Centres are doing home delivery. This links to the nearest one to me, but they are all over the place**LINK**

Edited By duncan webster on 08/04/2020 23:04:18

Swarf Maker09/04/2020 00:38:50
99 forum posts
4 photos

Vulnerable and registered? Makes no difference here. None of the supermarkets around here have the capacity to deliver and Sainsburys wont even allow me to register with them. I can occasionally get a click and collect Waitrose slot for 3 weeks hence, but only for a store that is 15 miles away. By that time there have been so many changes in stock levels that have led to items being flagged as unavailable, that the 'basket' has to be re-filled just before the click and collect date. Last time that happened they brought the time forward and I only found out by accident that I had a virtually empty 'basket'!

I am not complaining - just stating some of the weaknesses in the systems as they stand. It is important to acknowledge the amount of effort that has been expended in getting to the point where so many people are being supported. There will always be gaps and weaknesses to fall through.

Fortunately the neighbours, who are much better placed than I, have had deliveries for years and are still receiving them. They kindly add essentials to their order for my benefit - for which I am grateful. The other nice thing that has come out of this is the effort that the local greengrocer, butcher and craft brewery have put into adapting their businesses. They now serve my needs and although they had not previously had my business, they will from now on - always assuming that the wife and I survive!.

JC5411/04/2020 10:44:25
137 forum posts
12 photos

I could not contact Tesco either. I have had deliveries from them for over 5 years and am on the gov vulnerable list. My daughter managed to contact them on Twitter gave them my details and 2 days later got an email from Tesco offering me priority slots. I also am registered with Asda and yesterday got an email from them offering priority slots and the option to book a regular weekly/ fortnightly slot in advance. I have booked a regular slot with Asda as it saves having to keep looking for vacant slots. If you use twitter or have someone who has give Tesco a Twit???? if you are already a customer and on vulnerable list. John

Circlip11/04/2020 11:03:29
1197 forum posts

" I hear that first time delivery payments are being blocked by the Banks?"

And that would probably explain the impossibility to pay at check out.

" yesterday got an email from them offering priority slots and the option to book a regular weekly/ fortnightly slot in advance. "

And that would explain the impossibility to obtain a delivery date.

Pity the supermarkets didn't get off their butts and pre-empt A. The decent of Locusts at the stores B. the impossibility of "Stay at home" after Govt. announcements and C. putting poor infidels on the Help ( ???? ) lines who are not Tekky enough to be able to explain the forgoing.

Regards Ian, ALSO having to "Run the gauntlet."

Neil Wyatt11/04/2020 13:03:41
18232 forum posts
714 photos
77 articles

I went on Morrisons website on Thursday and got a slot for 5:30 Friday, there were more slots later and on the following days.

They have taken on extra staff so may be worth looking at if you need a delivery soon.

Neil

SillyOldDuffer11/04/2020 13:47:12
6325 forum posts
1387 photos
Posted by Adam Mara on 08/04/2020 22:06:02:

I am 80, had an 'eye stoke' 5 weeks ago, leaving me with severe double vision, and unable to drive. My wife has breathing difficulties due to treatment for cancer, but we don't qualify! We have had Tesco deliveries for the last four years, our last one is tomorrow, as we cannot get any more, tried to complain but they don't accept emails, the phone line is never answered and a letter to the CEO also goes unanswered.

The delivery system is overwhelmed by demand, worse in some places than others. The scale of the problem can be seen in the recruitment figures: Tesco are taking on 20,000 new staff! I expect the system will start working again soon.

In the meantime try contacting your local council or this website. The website coordinates local help schemes set up to get shopping and prescriptions etc for the locked in. Try searching for your town or village - a lot of groups have been set up. Ask the neighbours or parish council too - the group in my village isn't listed!

Where are you? There might be a forum member nearby who can help.

Dave

Circlip12/04/2020 11:16:03
1197 forum posts
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 11/04/2020 13:03:41:

I went on Morrisons website on Thursday and got a slot for 5:30 Friday, there were more slots later and on the following days.

They have taken on extra staff so may be worth looking at if you need a delivery soon.

Neil

If that one was for me Neil, I'm at ground Zero, BRADFORD, home of inefficiency. I can hear the late Sir Ken digging his way out.

Regards Ian.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest