Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Small skeletonised drill Press

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Connelly07/04/2020 10:22:46
1250 forum posts
152 photos

Oldvelo, part of my job when I worked was to purchase the tools for the shop floor including hand drills. We were constantly being asked why the drills we bought cost 5 to 6 times more than the B&D and their clones in DIY stores. Our reply was always "value for money" . The DIY drills would have had to be treated as consumables due to the short life they would have had.

Martin C

Nicholas Farr07/04/2020 11:51:28
2215 forum posts
1066 photos

Hi, yes the drill stand in the ebay link looks like the B&D SD0506 which would hold their larger heavy duty drills, and it looks as if the base was broken and been welded and L/H part that holds the chuck end of the drill looks as that has broken off and is missing. The DIY B&D's were just that and were subject to less than a continuous duty cycle, where as with the likes of Wolf were aimed more towards industrial use, an of course were more expensive.

This DIY milling head I made, uses a motor from a B&D lawn mower that I had given me, and it had a hard life on my rough terrain grassed area. The frame of the mower rusted away and the wheels fell off, but the motor still woks OK, I've coupled it to a two speed gear box from a B&D drill and put the single speed gear box on the drill, which is years old and is still working fine.

cimg2785.jpg

B&D DIY drills were not that bad and were in a budget bracket that my father could afford back in the late sixties, so no real difference than budget stuff these days.

Just to say I have never had any connection with Black & Decker or any company associated with them.

Regards Nick.

Pete.08/04/2020 00:33:21
217 forum posts
36 photos
https://youtu.be/LEnr5TXnEBY

Edited By Pete. on 08/04/2020 00:34:19

Pete.08/04/2020 00:35:22
217 forum posts
36 photos

Why hasn't it put the video up? I clicked on the YouTube symbol and added the link?

Hopper08/04/2020 02:56:22
4410 forum posts
94 photos
Posted by Pete. on 08/04/2020 00:35:22:

Why hasn't it put the video up? I clicked on the YouTube symbol and added the link?

There is a whole procedure involved, like everything else on this historic Myspace-era site. You have to click on the SHARE icon on the video on Youtube then copy the EMBED link into the box that pops up on this site when you click the Youtube icon at top of your post.

Or something like that.

bricky08/04/2020 09:27:14
418 forum posts
48 photos

I have a floor standing tredle drill by Sheane Brothers of Wicklow.It is pictured along side of their lathe,it has two speeds and not one as listed.The belt is round leather and to use the same belt for both speeds one lifts the column allowing the belt to move from small to large pulley.Possibly a 100 years old.

Frank

Pete.09/04/2020 01:26:07
217 forum posts
36 photos
Posted by Hopper on 08/04/2020 02:56:22:
Posted by Pete. on 08/04/2020 00:35:22:

There is a whole procedure involved, like everything else on this historic Myspace-era site. You have to click on the SHARE icon on the video on Youtube then copy the EMBED link into the box that pops up on this site when you click the Youtube icon at top of your post.

Or something like that.

What I did was click share on the yt video, it gives you all the social media to choose from, or just copy link, so copy link, then added it to the box that pops up when you click on the yt symbol in the msg box on this site?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest