IanT07/04/2020 12:16:36
1503 forum posts
142 photos

Very nice EGA

IanT

Jon Cameron07/04/2020 13:27:32
312 forum posts
90 photos

Speaking as a relatively newbie, the things i've found most needed are as follows.

Micrometer (digital preferred so you can switch between metric and imperial)

DTI and magnetic stand

Verniers for rough checking (a cheap Lidl set will do)

Dead centre, Half centre, and live centre

HSS tool set, usually around x8 tools, this gets you used to the shape of the tools and their uses,

A bench grinder and oil stone, to grind the set above and hone them, later to go onto freehand grinding your own tools.

Drill set 1-10mm or imperial equivelant to get you started making holes in things, larger holes can be bored to size.

ME taps and dies and correct tapping drills of a size needed for a project, along with holders. I started with Whitworth which was a mistake on my part.

Four Jaw chuck is very helpful!! if a little fustrating to use at first. It does click rather quickly.

Imperial to metric conversion chart, (helps get your head around both sizes)

Slip gauge set to adjust the centre height of your tool, once the pip is gone your there.

As for projects, a tailstock die holder is a very useful tool, which will find use quite often.

To start out, practice turning a piece of bar to a set diameter. The more swarf you make the more you learn until eventually it clicks what you need to do. removing half the required amount of material. This also gets you used to turning and what your machine tells you as it machines. Vary the depth of cut when the lathe sounds like its groaning, back off. Look at the finish your getting, HSS tools vary greatly on how they cut and they perform different. Deeper cuts make for quite a lot of spring on material if its unsupported. So a final pass on the material at the same setting can relieve that spring for a parallel bar.

Importantly as mentioned already, think ahead at what you want to build, list the tools required to build it and aquire just those tools per project, quite a lot of the time very clean fully equipped home workshops see little use, The messy ones are where a lot of things seem to get built.

Lastly remember to stay safe at all times, safety specs on as soon as you enter the workshop, roll those sleeves up, it will become habbit, make a hook for your chuck key, if its not there don't start your lathe!

Andrew Johnston07/04/2020 14:14:12
5411 forum posts
627 photos

Posted by Jon Cameron on 07/04/2020 13:27:32:

The messy ones are where a lot of things seem to get built.

That's a relief; I was beginning to think I might be giving Pigpen a run for his money.

Andrew

Geoff Theasby07/04/2020 15:50:56
606 forum posts
17 photos

Jeremy, as a beginner myself, I did buy several items not yet used, but as a basic list, I would say a set of HSS lathe tools, likewise twist drills in at least 0.5 mm increments up to 10mm. a tailpiece chuck and a bench grinder. I find that in the few years since I began, knowing little, these are the items I have used the most.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest