Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

New member in Cumbria

Complete Novice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Keith Gaunt04/04/2020 23:08:43
10 forum posts
6 photos

Hi my name's Keith and i'm an Engineering Surveyor, still full time but way past the official retirement age. A few months ago, after a lot of deliberation I bought myself a Warco WM180 lathe. My interest came about from my work coming up with ideas for little gadgets and gizmos that could make the job easier and more precise. I have always had a love of old machinery and instruments even though I work with state of the art instruments at the moment they still don't have the feel of the old solid instruments. Anyway back to the WM180, which I hadn't really done much with apart from fix it down to a bench, until this lockdown. I bought some of the other essential tools that go with it (shows how much I know) and watched YouTube videos every night. Now it's all I think about, so i'll have a lot of questions once I get the hang of the terminology.

Brian H05/04/2020 06:52:49
1579 forum posts
104 photos

Hello Keith and welcome to this excellent forum. I suppose I'm a Southener compared to you, living near Mansfield.

You have certainly come to the right place to ask questions, you will find most of us are as helpful as can be.

Brian

David George 105/04/2020 07:05:14
1193 forum posts
409 photos

Hi Keith welcome to the forum. There are plenty of helpful members on here just ask. What interests you and what are you likely to make. If you need to post pictures etc you have to create an album and there is information on how to in the forum tab in the top of the page then FAQ web site tab.

David

David Noble05/04/2020 08:51:41
168 forum posts
8 photos

Hello Keith,

Welcome to the forum. I'm just over the border in Lancashire, if I can help, just shout.

David

Steviegtr06/04/2020 23:35:42
1163 forum posts
99 photos

Welcome Keith. Great forum to be a member of.

Steve.

Steviegtr07/04/2020 00:17:19
1163 forum posts
99 photos

I just noticed that you are from Cumbria. My 2nd home. I have spent a lot of time in the lake district from being a child. Still ride my bike up there when I have the chance. Coniston is my favourite.

I used to ski at Windermere before it all got stopped.

Steve.

Neil Wyatt07/04/2020 19:09:42
17722 forum posts
697 photos
77 articles

Welcome to the forum, Keith,

Neil

JohnF07/04/2020 21:54:05
966 forum posts
142 photos

Welcome Keith another Lancastrian here also just over the border -- venture to Haverthwaite regularly when not in lockdown - confined to barracks just now ! Happy to help or advise but my onboard computer was programmed in imperial

John

Keith Gibson14/04/2020 12:31:21
7 forum posts

Hello Keith, from another Keith G(ibson), also from Cumbria!

Where abouts, I'm in Workington.

Keith Gaunt14/04/2020 12:59:17
10 forum posts
6 photos

Hello Keith

I'm in Egremont, whereabouts in Workington are you. As I said I've got myself a Chinese lathe (Warco 180) which is the imperial model, because I was too impatient to wait for the metric to be available. I thought that would be ok since I would want a DRO fitted anyway, anyway I decided to try and come to terms with imperial measurements while learning how to operate the lathe and since I wouldn't need any precise measurements yet there was no rush for the DRO. Having said that I've just ordered a kit from Ebay this morning, my head was done in just looking at the handwheel dials. So I might have a few questions regarding the fitting of it.

Keith

Steviegtr14/04/2020 15:07:55
1163 forum posts
99 photos

You will not regret getting the DRO for the mill. I have used mine over the last couple of weeks & they are so accurate. They even have a calculator built in. From reading of people fitting them, it seems a few have had to fabricate there own brackets to get them right. I do not bother with the markings on the hand wheel at all. Good luck with the fitting.

Steve.

Bazyle14/04/2020 17:46:08
5139 forum posts
199 photos
Posted by Steviegtr on 07/04/2020 00:17:19:

I used to ski at Windermere before it all got stopped.

Behind a steam launch I hope - must have had a pretty good superheater laugh

Harry Wilkes14/04/2020 18:35:55
872 forum posts
61 photos

Hi Keith and welcome to the forum

H

Keith Gibson15/04/2020 10:30:33
7 forum posts

Hi Keith,

I'm quite near to Vulcans Park.

I also have a Warco lathe, a GH1236. My dad, was a Machine Shop Foreman at Distington Engineering so I used to get loads of advice and tips.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest