Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

2TB USB drives.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
old mart03/04/2020 19:28:59
1485 forum posts
136 photos

A friend of mine phoned today with a problem with his new USB stick. Windows 10 showed it as a 2TB drive, but it would not format. Since he paid only £6 for it, it was obviously not quite right. Kingston make real 2TB USB drives, they are much bigger physically than the run of the mill drives, and the price runs to four figures, not £6. I checked these out on ebay and there are plenty for sale. The sellers start by saying they are large, but deep in the description, a much smaller capacity is mentioned. Apparently, if you transfer large amounts of data onto one of these sticks, when the real capacity is reached, it just overwrites the data already onboard.

**LINK**

pgk pgk03/04/2020 19:53:41
1718 forum posts
287 photos

Ebay has been selling stuff like personal music players and usb sticks for a long time with spoofed capacity that really only has small nominal memory. I got caught out once many years ago. The price is generally the clue.

Mymemory link

do a 1TB oem for £124.99 which gives a clue as to the likely best price a legitimate one would be.

pgk

Journeyman03/04/2020 19:53:50
776 forum posts
131 photos

I don't know about it these specific USB drives but a few years ago it was quite common to see large capacities advertised but they were much lower capacity but the innards had been doctored to report much higher capacity. Simply a scam to make cash from flogging cheap low capacity drives for much inflated prices.

John

Swarf, Mostly!03/04/2020 19:56:07
525 forum posts
43 photos

Hi there, OM,

There is a small programme on the web somewhere that will check the true capacity of either flash cards or USB sticks (aka 'thumb drives' ). I guess the writer wrote this programme in response to the high incidence of counterfeit devices from less-then-conscientious sellers.

I can't immediately give a link here - by the time I find it you could well have scored with some trial key words on Google.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Edit:  I put the following search phrase into Google and got lots of hits.  'software to check flash drive capacity'

Edited By Swarf, Mostly! on 03/04/2020 20:04:07

Michael Gilligan03/04/2020 20:04:55
15425 forum posts
665 photos

So ... we have to ask ... Is it fraudulent, when the description clearly [hidden in plain sight] states:

32G-2TB, the actual capacity is 32G, the actual capacity of 32G is about 29.5G, and only about 29.5GB can be stored, but it can display 2TB on the computer, and the detection is also 2TB.

question

Caveat Emptor indeed !!

MichaelG.

Clive Brown 103/04/2020 20:54:05
399 forum posts
11 photos

The link given by MichaelG seems unusually candid. These drives have been common on Ebay, at ridiculously low prices, for some time. I've never before noticed one that admits to being fraudulent.

Kiwi Bloke03/04/2020 22:55:34
394 forum posts
1 photos

Possibly advertised for the benefit of crooked re-sellers?

Clive Steer04/04/2020 00:48:46
23 forum posts

I read about low cost USB memory sticks supposedly with high memory capacities actually providing write only functionality. So when you move files to the stick they can't be retrieved and effectively you lose your data. It is possible that such devices could also download other nasties that you'd prefer not to have on your computer.

Clive

Neil Wyatt04/04/2020 10:35:48
17686 forum posts
697 photos
77 articles
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 03/04/2020 20:04:55:

So ... we have to ask ... Is it fraudulent, when the description clearly [hidden in plain sight] states:

32G-2TB, the actual capacity is 32G, the actual capacity of 32G is about 29.5G, and only about 29.5GB can be stored, but it can display 2TB on the computer, and the detection is also 2TB.

question

Caveat Emptor indeed !!

MichaelG.

The seller is being 'honest' but purchasers are likely to be the folks who fit these inside USB hard drive cases along with a couple of old bolts and sell them as 2TB drives...

I think someone posted a dissection of one of these 'drives' on here some while ago.

Neil

Mike Poole04/04/2020 10:59:09
2538 forum posts
60 photos

A USB stick is one thing I would avoid totally on eBay and tread carefully on Amazon.

Mike

old mart04/04/2020 14:10:32
1485 forum posts
136 photos

I have bought several USB sticks on ebay without any problems. The simple rules that I keep to are a UK seller with a top feedback score. I go for the lesser known makes, such as Trancend which are less likely to be worthwhile counterfeiting than Sandisk.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
cowells
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest