By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sam Spoons03/04/2020 19:00:27
65 forum posts

Hi I've just started to get an old Boxford into working order so have joined the forum as I'll need advice and help. My last serious engineering was nearly 50 years ago at school and college so I'm very rusty but am reasonably aware of the safety issues (though if you want to remind me I won't take offence).

David George 104/04/2020 08:10:13
1189 forum posts
405 photos

Hi Sam welcome to the forum. Where are you based as it helps with local supliers and help. There are plenty of Boxford owners on here who can give advice. Safety DONT LEAVE THE CHUCK KEY IN THE CHUCK and Wear safety glasses. Good luck

David

Chris Evans 604/04/2020 08:40:29
1627 forum posts

Welcome along Sam, what sort of thing interests you to make on the lathe ?

Brian H04/04/2020 09:16:44
1569 forum posts
102 photos

Hello Sam and welcome. I'm a Boxford owner and I'll help if I can.

A good source of info about all sorts of machine tools is;

**LINK**

Brian

Sam Spoons04/04/2020 10:26:33
65 forum posts

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the advice David. Will heed.

Chris, I plan to use the lathe for odd jobs, first one will be to repair a brass double bass tuning machine with a snapped shaft, just a matter of drilling and inserting a pin down the middle. I'm not likely to become a serious model maker as my other hobbies* take up more than enough of my time.

Brian, thanks for the link, I was aware of the website and it is a very useful resource.

Getting the Boxford working is almost an end in itself. It won't be a 'restoration', I don't have the skills or the time/motivation but simply a 'fixing up' so I can have a functioning lathe at the end of the process.

* Musician/guitar player, recording/retired live sound guy and sailing dinghies.

Sam Spoons04/04/2020 11:34:26
65 forum posts

Just to add, I'm in South Manchester, very close to Abbotsfield Park.

Bazyle04/04/2020 12:27:48
5132 forum posts
199 photos

Sam. Enjoy your Boxford.

The screw in the middle of the star wheel on the front of the apron on a Boxford is reverse thread. The clutch that this works is not meant to allow you to let it slam up against a saddle stop, It should be tightened enough to make the cut but you should be able to grip the handwheel and stop the saddle just shy of the saddle stop so it contacts gently

The grub screw going in from the right hand side of the apron to hold the half nut lever may be a locking screw with another one deep beneath it.

Don't forget to oil the backgear layshaft, and the pulley when in back gear mode, and the groove just in front of the bull wheel that the engagement slider works in. Slight risk of dropping the bits but consider taking off the front backgear engagement lever to see if the brass shoe that fits in that groove is not completely worn down.

Don't use the backgear for freeing the chucks.

Sam Spoons04/04/2020 13:35:00
65 forum posts

Thanks Bazyle, I've started a thread in the Beginners Questions forum about fixing up my lathe as it seems the best place for it.

Steviegtr04/04/2020 14:08:54
1156 forum posts
94 photos

Welcome Sam. Lots of Boxford owners on here. Good luck with your refurb.

Steve.

Sam Spoons04/04/2020 14:10:59
65 forum posts

yes

Neil Wyatt04/04/2020 19:34:07
17712 forum posts
697 photos
77 articles

Welcome to the forum Sam,

Anything on Soundcloud or Bandcamp?

Neil

Sam Spoons04/04/2020 19:36:16
65 forum posts

Not at the moment, just for fun really. I'll see if I can dig soon live stuff out.

Do you play?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest