Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Rob Roy Build/ Rally

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil H102/04/2020 19:12:17
258 forum posts
25 photos

My guess is that the Rob Roy rally due to take place in late June this year is off the cards?

I was going to attend with my part built effort so here is where I am up to on 2nd April 2020.

I have also machined the wheels and few other parts of the cylinder set. My aim is to get the chassis at least rolling by the end of June but lets see how that goes.

Phil H

Side view

Top view

Angled view

Bazyle02/04/2020 20:53:12
5142 forum posts
199 photos

Hi Phil, I don't know if you have been involved in previous threads on the Rob Roy but as you are keen on getting on without the chance to get to the rally are you fully aware of the clearance problems involved with the valve gear when made to drawing?

Phil H102/04/2020 21:15:48
258 forum posts
25 photos

Bazyle,

Thanks for the reminder. I was aware of it and I have left as much meat on the cylinders (flange face to port face) as possible. Unfortunately, I had already machined the steam chests a long time ago so I will have to see whether the meat I have left on the cylinders will be adequate. If it isn't, I will go with the offset valve cross head.

I will also make another round stretcher close to the bottom of the cylinders and I like the idea of introducing steam to the cylinders/ steam chest at the front face of the steam chest.

I have seen a list of other possible mods including a mod to the blast pipe and some sort of rear axle/ axlebox cover etc. However, reminders would be great - please.

The ones that hurt the most are the modifications to the boiler because I built it in the 1980s to the old drawings complete with threaded longitudinal stay bushes and a screwed top water gauge fitting (ouch). Various people have suggested that I can salvage it but looking at it in a different way... I have done it once - so I can do it again. I still have all the flanging plates that I hacked out of 1/4" steel - oh and I will build it in line with my local club involved this time - once this virus thingy has cleared..

Phil H

Rex Hanman03/04/2020 10:14:48
70 forum posts

Hi Phil H1,

I was the instigator and organiser of the previous Rob Roy rallies in Andover but as you probably know the 2020 gathering was due to take place at the Bromsgrove club.

I have contacted them and been advised that the decision has now been made to postpone this year's meeting until the provisional date of Sunday 13th. September. This is of course subject to change due to factors beyond control.

I will try to keep you updated. Meanwhile press on with that loco build!

Rex

Edit: Forgot to mention that my cylinders had enough extra meat on them that I didn't need to offset the valve crossheads....good luck!

Edited By Rex Hanman on 03/04/2020 10:17:11

Phil H103/04/2020 15:46:23
258 forum posts
25 photos

Thanks Rex,

I will press on and who knows, maybe I will get my bag of bits to Bromsgrove in September.

I am currently machining the axles to fit the wheel bores at the moment.

I will take a measurement of the cylinder port faces later to see if I am lucky enough.

Phil H

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest