Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Problem with LED lights

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian H02/04/2020 15:06:30
1579 forum posts
104 photos

I've found the problem with LED lights in the workshop since fitting some, my lathe looks terrible. The paint is discoloured and the metalwork badly oil stained!

The paint could be T-Cut but can someone suggest a safe way of restoring the shine to the metalwork?

Brian

Tim Stevens02/04/2020 15:34:06
1159 forum posts

I have found that white LED lamps can show up the rusty colouration on steel. I suspect this is because the 'colour balance' of the LEDs is not exactly sunlight. The shine on the metalwork is just the same as it was, of course ...

Tim

Bandersnatch02/04/2020 16:55:26
1594 forum posts
55 photos

My experience with "Daylight" LED's in place of fluorescents was poor too and hard on the eyes ... to the extent that I switched back to fluorescents for the main ceiling lighting. If I went LED again I'd definitely go for the "Warm Light" type.

Michael Gilligan02/04/2020 17:01:21
15478 forum posts
668 photos

The really fussy will want to search out LEDs with ‘High Colour Rendering Index’

The next best option is usually ‘Warm White’ [ as per Bandersnatch ]

MichaelG.

Bandersnatch02/04/2020 17:15:51
1594 forum posts
55 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 02/04/2020 17:01:21:

The really fussy will want to search out LEDs with ‘High Colour Rendering Index’

Which might not be "over-fussy" at that, in a workshop setting (painting models etc).

Never seen or heard of them myself actually ... might be over-taxing on the pocket?

Bob Stevenson02/04/2020 17:44:34
386 forum posts
6 photos

Interesting........

I have been using daylight 6400k LED bulbs for worklights for some time now and like working under them a lot,...far better than any tungsten bulb. However, it pays to use as large a bulb as possible in a pearlescent finish as these give a much superior and even light spread over a larger area of the work...ideal for close detail work and turning in the lathe etc....... When my local 'Hombase' closed a few months back I aquired large daylight bulbs and clamp typ holders with white reflectors and they have made first class worklights which can be positioned easily over bench, lathe or drill and give a continuous field of light which I find excellent.

The clamp type lamp holders were all of 2 quid a piece and the big leds (in ES screw) were about one each!

Edited By Bob Stevenson on 02/04/2020 17:47:09

Bandersnatch02/04/2020 18:36:50
1594 forum posts
55 photos

Bob, I've come to the conclusion that people either love the daylight LED lights or hate 'em. My wife hates them with a vengeance and i didn't get along well with them.

It may also depend on actual lighting levels though. I had rather a lot of lighting in the form of fluorescent strip lights when I changed mine and that may have been too much when I switched to (daylight) LED tube replacements. Under those circumstances, the warmer LEDs might have worked better.

Possible it also depends on type of bulb (strip-lights or round bulb).

Michael Gilligan02/04/2020 19:13:33
15478 forum posts
668 photos
Posted by Bandersnatch on 02/04/2020 17:15:51:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 02/04/2020 17:01:21:

Which might not be "over-fussy" at that, in a workshop setting (painting models etc).

Never seen or heard of them myself actually ... might be over-taxing on the pocket?

Here is a straight quote from one of my posts on another forum:

Here's an enthusiastic young man demonstrating the merit of high CRI
**LINK**

... and a couple of pages from the yuji site:
**LINK**
**LINK**

All rather impressive.

MichaelG.

Happy to discuss further, but at present I’m O.K.with my various ‘Warm White’ lamps.

Michael Gilligan02/04/2020 19:53:47
15478 forum posts
668 photos

Sorry, that first YUJI link seems to be dead now

... But browsing their site is informative.

MichaelG.

Brian H02/04/2020 20:42:59
1579 forum posts
104 photos

I don't think my lathe has a problem with the light colour, it definitely looks very grubby on the paintwork and the metalwork is a definite shade of brown from oil and, I hate to say 'rust ' but there is definitely a brownish tinge to it. I've just found some rust remover called 'Evapo-Rust' and quick rub with a cloth impregnated with it removes at least some of the brown.

Brian

Bandersnatch02/04/2020 22:06:58
1594 forum posts
55 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 02/04/2020 19:13:33:

All rather impressive.

Yes ... very. Bit expensive for normal workshop use ..... although someone who was heavily into an activity which needed it might go there. Or at least set it up in a corner somewhere.

Thanks for the links !

SillyOldDuffer03/04/2020 13:28:08
5631 forum posts
1157 photos
Posted by Brian H on 02/04/2020 20:42:59:

I don't think my lathe has a problem with the light colour, it definitely looks very grubby on the paintwork and the metalwork is a definite shade of brown from oil and, I hate to say 'rust ' but there is definitely a brownish tinge to it.

Brian

The new bright white LED lighting did you a favour by revealing a light rust problem before it did any damage! Mind you, there's a lot to said for dim lighting - my work looks best in total darkness!

Dave

Brian H03/04/2020 17:39:20
1579 forum posts
104 photos

Several items that should have arrived today......didn't! So I've started cleaning the lathe; only problem is that now I've removed most of the grime on the paint, I can see lots of primer. I don't intend to repaint the lathe just yet but I've started to dismantle the Dickinson style toolpost to clear out years of dirt and swarf. The is a depressed circle in it that I believe should have a Boxford disc in it, I'll have to see if I can get one or else it will be print one and varnish it.

Brian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest