Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Virtualbox advice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Harry Wilkes01/04/2020 15:28:50
1219 forum posts
64 photos

Just by chance maybe members using Virtualbox could offer some advice, having to much time on my hands I thought I'd have a play with linux which I firstly ran on a memory stick so next I did some research and found that the use of a VM was preferred over dual boot. I downloaded Virtualbox and add linux mint as a guest it worked OK except for network connection no WiFi connection again check the web in setting I selected 'bridge connection' and my TP link USB adaptor but still no WiFi connected wired the only choice so does anyone have any suggestion ?

Thanks

H

LADmachining01/04/2020 16:21:30
120 forum posts
10 photos

I have used a number of VMs to test new OSs or use Win7 under Linux.

Each time I have used the default network adapter settings. The network appears as a wired connection on the VM, the default adapter settings have been used (I haven't changed anything), and it is set for NAT (network address translation).

Things may work better after installing Linux on the VM, then installing the VBox guest additions to ensure all proprietory drivers and software are installed.

Anthony

Gerry T01/04/2020 16:32:42
14 forum posts
20 photos

By default a VM within Virtualbox will have virtual network adaptors that connect to the host machine's network connectivity and can be configured in a number of ways depending upon need.

This is normally sufficient for all bar a number of very special cases. If there is a specific 'need' to connect to a wifi network rather than accessing the network through the host machine, the only way I can possibly see it working would be to use a USB WiFi dongle and make sure that USB pass through has been enabled for the VM.

And don't forget the extension pack as well

Good luck

Gerry

AdrianR01/04/2020 16:52:28
542 forum posts
36 photos

I would say to get it running try and use NAT first.

Check that Virtualbox is NATing/Bridging you wireless card and not the wired adaptor.

Does your VM have any network devices?

Does the network device have an IP address?

If you do try using the ping cmd from a terminal shell to check you can reach your router. e.g. ping router_ip_address

I have not used VirtualBox, I use VMware Player, so cant help too much with the specifics.

Adrian

SillyOldDuffer01/04/2020 17:04:11
7714 forum posts
1705 photos

As Gerry and Antony's answers

I downloaded a 64 bit Mint Cinnamon iso and created a VM for it.

The VM is set to 'NAT' rather than 'Bridged Adaptor'. NAT connects the Virtual operating system (Mint) to my host operating systems network layer, whatever that is. (My host happens to be Ubuntu with a 802.11bgn USB wifi dongle.)

Mint doesn't recognise my real USB adaptor or know that Ubuntu has a Wifi connection. It just knows that 'a network' has been made available by VirtualBox. So on a mint terminal iwconfig says 'No wireless connection', and lsusb can't see the dongle. But ifconfig shows mint believes it has a working wired ethernet connection called 'enp0s2'. Firefox on Mint connects to the internet OK. It all 'just works'.

Dave

Harry Wilkes01/04/2020 17:33:33
1219 forum posts
64 photos

Thanks for all answers I have tried the suggestion forwarded however SOD put his finger on it 'it all just works'

Thanks

H

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
walker midge
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest