By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

DTI base

Need something else for using on the mill...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
old mart01/04/2020 17:37:59
1512 forum posts
136 photos

I have some Mitutoyo mag bases and also a Draper one. They are identical except for the colour and the label. I suspect that this is a rare example where Mitutoyo does not make their own, but deploys badge engineering.

Bill Phinn01/04/2020 18:08:33
310 forum posts
63 photos

I'm in the market for the same thing as Henry. My DTI is an old Verdict with a quarter inch diameter stem as well as the dovetail. Does anyone know whether any of the Nogas or Mitutoyos will accept the quarter inch stem? I've not researched things very thoroughly, admittedly, but I haven't yet spotted any that do.

Martin Connelly01/04/2020 18:23:25
1211 forum posts
146 photos

You can get spares from Mitutoyo if you have the part numbers for different stem clamps in metric and imperial sizes. When I was at work I had a Mitutoyo catalogue where I had sketched the various clamp blocks and their part numbers. I think the imperial one was 3/8", 1/4" and dovetail.

You can also buy dovetail stems quite cheaply so you could use a metric swivel clamp with your 1/4" stem indicator,

Dovetail stems

Martin C

Link added.

Edited By Martin Connelly on 01/04/2020 18:52:11

Vic01/04/2020 19:40:27
2489 forum posts
14 photos

I bought one of These from Chronos and it’s very nice for £11.05 inc postage. The threaded hole in the top is M8.

Henry Brown01/04/2020 19:57:06
187 forum posts
45 photos

Thank you for all your replies! I really hadn't expected so much help!

I've looked into the Machine DRO offering Dennis, thanks, for that sort of money it might be worth a punt but it;s not very well reviewed, I'll have a think about that.

Martin - The Mitutoyo is thick end of £200, as much as I'd like one that is a bit rich for me I'm afraid. I can't see a second hand one being much less than half of that tbh.

I must admit to being drawn to the Chronos hydraulic version Link (I hope that;s worked). I'm not chasing the last tenth for the jobs I do but would like something easy to set and stable. I did play about with my existing one this afternoon and made it a bit better by removing the rod with the fine adjustment but the issue is that the rod fixed into the mag base (Mitutoyo) is too long for use on on my mill. I'm not going to shorten it yet as I also use it on the lathe.

So, I'll see what comes up in the next few weeks..

Martin Connelly01/04/2020 20:03:04
1211 forum posts
146 photos

Henry, the link is just for a set of dovetail stems, a set of 2 for £6.60 so you can use your existing indicator with any metric mag base unit.

Martin C

Paul Kemp02/04/2020 00:15:17
422 forum posts
18 photos

Henry,

i bought a Noga style small mag base for my mill from RDG's stand at Ally Pally about 3 years ago. I turned up an adaptor to fit it that goes in the lug on the clock (it's a nothing special clock, only reads to a thou) but it does fine for general set ups squaring the vice on the Omnimill and I also use it on the lathes, it's become a sort of workshop go to where no fine accuracy is required. I wasn't expecting great things of it when I bought it but I have to say it's been great. I even use it as a quick and dirty tram of the mill vertical head by sticking it on the spindle. Very good value in my opinion, it's not a Rolls Royce of mag bases to be sure but it works plenty good enough for me.

Paul.

Bill Phinn02/04/2020 20:02:56
310 forum posts
63 photos
Posted by Martin Connelly on 01/04/2020 18:23:25:

You can get spares from Mitutoyo if you have the part numbers for different stem clamps in metric and imperial sizes. When I was at work I had a Mitutoyo catalogue where I had sketched the various clamp blocks and their part numbers. I think the imperial one was 3/8", 1/4" and dovetail.

You can also buy dovetail stems quite cheaply so you could use a metric swivel clamp with your 1/4" stem indicator,

Dovetail stems

Martin C

Link added.

Edited By Martin Connelly on 01/04/2020 18:52:11

Thanks for the information and link, Martin.

Unfortunately, I can see no way of actually buying the item from the Mitutoyo site. When I click on the Ordering and Payment tab at the bottom of the page I get the message: "Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead. Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to mitutoyo.co.uk. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details."

Bob Mc02/04/2020 20:40:11
150 forum posts
1 photos

I was having difficulties in setting the dti when small diameter work was being set in the 4 jaw chuck, the problem being that the needle of the dti needs to be moved only tiny amount to set it on the top of the work. The jaws can then be aligned, usually I move the magnetic base about and with a bit of luck just get it right..it takes some small but annoying faffing about......but no more!

I have fitted the base arm with a microscope slide which holds the arm with the dti fitted, the mag base is put in the general area and the fine adjustment is made with the microscope focussing slide... is it over the top?... yes... does it work better than before ...yes.

dsc_0009.jpg

Michael Gilligan02/04/2020 21:58:46
15442 forum posts
666 photos

That’s neat, Bob ... and I don’t see any reason for it to be considered ‘over the top’

MichaelG.

Martin Connelly03/04/2020 00:29:20
1211 forum posts
146 photos

Mitutoyo Technical Sales Dept. Tel. 01264 353123

Martin C

Henry Brown11/04/2020 20:59:08
187 forum posts
45 photos

Just thought I'd close the loop on this one, I did go for the Dashqua hydraulic magnetic arm from Chronos and it arrived today. Initial thought are that it seems very well made, is very flexible and has good magnetic base with a very smooth action for the magnetic on/off function. When locked it is very rigid and the fine adjustment on the end can be locked if necessary but mine is pretty rigid anyway. So, initial impressions are good, the only thing I'm not sure about is the gold finish but at least I won't loose it!

6" rule by it for scale...

dasqua hydraulic dit base.jpg

Gary Wooding12/04/2020 16:16:37
662 forum posts
166 photos

Here's what I did on my Centec 2B. I mounted it in the channel used for the Z-axis limit stop.

dti-2.jpg

dti-1.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest