By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Taper on connecting rod

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Richard Brickwood30/03/2020 20:16:42
5 forum posts

Hello - I want to reduce the diameter of a connecting rod from 1/4" to 3/16" over a distance of 1".

I've tried setting ther topslide over but it still cuts almost parallel even at 10 deg. I've tried from 2.5 deg upwards.

What am I doing wrong?

Nigel Bennett30/03/2020 20:22:56
337 forum posts
11 photos

Are you actually twiddling the topslide handle rather than moving the carriage?

Andrew Johnston30/03/2020 20:25:40
5425 forum posts
629 photos

The angle needed on the topslide is about 1.8 degrees. So I suspect a set up problem. A picture would be helpful. Less likely is that the work is deflecting. Is the turning exactly parallel or just close?

Andrew

Richard Brickwood30/03/2020 20:38:33
5 forum posts

Hi Nigel - nope - moving the carriage.

Hi Andrew - things to do when not gliding! -, I thought it was about 1.8 degrees offset but got very little change in diameter over the 1". Luckily using scrap BMS as test pieces rather than castings! 'Almost' parallel is about 5 thou.

roy entwistle30/03/2020 21:01:11
1154 forum posts

Moving the carriage is your problem

old mart30/03/2020 21:14:20
1557 forum posts
136 photos

Turn the topslide 1.8 degrees anticlockwise from zero as Andrew suggests. Set the tip of the tool right next to the end of the work. The work should project the minimum possible from the chuck, say 1 1/8". Lock the carriage (saddle) if you can. Then adjust the cross slide to allow small cuts using the top slide. Each cut should reach a little closer to the chuck. Don't try to cut too deeply, or the work will probably bend with the force. Test on scrap metal until you get good at it. Good luck.

Mick B130/03/2020 21:51:32
1557 forum posts
83 photos

As said above, you certainly need to run the tapered cut with the topslide, not the carriage.

Consider whether you could put a hole in the little end to use with a running centre for tailstock support. If you can, it might still be a fiddle to create clearance to turn the topslide handwheel, but tailstock support would make turning a taper on the conrod a good deal safer.

Andrew Johnston30/03/2020 22:56:16
5425 forum posts
629 photos
Posted by Richard Brickwood on 30/03/2020 20:38:33:

Hi Andrew - things to do when not gliding!

Sounds like you've got the taper issue sorted. Could be a lack of currency? smile

I'm probably the most current pilot at Gransden as I flew my DG200 the Thursday before last (20th) at Milfield where I was retrieving it, fortunately just before the lockdown kicked in.

Andrew

Richard Brickwood31/03/2020 09:37:12
5 forum posts

..............this all makes sense - thank you: will spend a happy afternoon turning BMS into swarf - and let you know the results.

RIB

John Hinkley31/03/2020 09:49:24
853 forum posts
287 photos

Richard,

Glad you've got your taper turning sorted. However, I'd be inclined to investigate why your lathe is turning an (albeit slight-ish) taper of 5 thou over a distance of one inch when just using the carriage? Unless I've gotten the wrong end of that particular stick.

John

Richard Brickwood01/04/2020 12:24:47
5 forum posts

..thank you all for responding - the problem was definately feeding using the carriageto feed instead of the top slide.

Made one from scrap yesterday - perfect (well amost) - more practice today.

John - re your comment on the slight taper - it was my measuring error and poor recollection when writing: the real error is negligible - something like 0.0001 - but thanks for the suggestion.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest