Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Good reading from DYSON.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jim Young 230/03/2020 18:40:22
18 forum posts
5 photos

I had a rather negative experience of Dyson recently (sorry taking things rather off topic). Having been involved in school D.T. for several years, I wrote to Dyson development suggesting that they might like to consider sponsoring a ‘Dyson Challenge’ in the 12 to 16 age group. Idea being that they supply one of their ‘digital’ motors and a battery pack. Issue a design brief for a model racing car so that every school taking part started on a level field. Then run ‘meets’ at which school compete for, say, speed or battery duration. Down to the pupils to design and build for the challenge. Gives the company lots of ‘product placement’ with the future purchasers, good press for encouraging future designers and engineers......etc etc.

I received a one paragraph reply (from some lowly employee) , along the lines that, Sir James was quite capable of having his own ideas and please go away!

Next cleaner here will NOT be a Dyson!

Harry Wilkes30/03/2020 18:56:47
867 forum posts
61 photos
Posted by Jim Young 2 on 30/03/2020 18:40:22:

I had a rather negative experience of Dyson recently (sorry taking things rather off topic). Having been involved in school D.T. for several years, I wrote to Dyson development suggesting that they might like to consider sponsoring a ‘Dyson Challenge’ in the 12 to 16 age group. Idea being that they supply one of their ‘digital’ motors and a battery pack. Issue a design brief for a model racing car so that every school taking part started on a level field. Then run ‘meets’ at which school compete for, say, speed or battery duration. Down to the pupils to design and build for the challenge. Gives the company lots of ‘product placement’ with the future purchasers, good press for encouraging future designers and engineers......etc etc.

I received a one paragraph reply (from some lowly employee) , along the lines that, Sir James was quite capable of having his own ideas and please go away!

Next cleaner here will NOT be a Dyson!

Send it to the national press !

Samsaranda30/03/2020 18:56:57
905 forum posts
5 photos

Some models of motors in Dyson Vacs were made by Panasonic, I would think other contractors also made motors at varying times. I could never understand the slogan bandied around by Dyson that their Vacs suffered no loss of suction because they were bagless, it doesn’t take long for the filters to clog and reduce suction which means that their slogan was at best misleading if not a total lie. It might seem that I am slagging off the brand but we currently have two Dyson Vacs because they are better at performing than others we tried. Anyway good on Dyson for getting on with manufacturing respirators and for James intending giving away such a large amount for free.
Dave W

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest