Good reading from DYSON.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Former Member30/03/2020 13:48:00

[This posting has been removed]

Journeyman30/03/2020 14:06:35
783 forum posts
134 photos

Hope it's not like my vacuum cleaner then! All coloured plastic, doesn't suck very well and bits keep dropping off devil

John

Frances IoM30/03/2020 14:11:54
747 forum posts
26 photos
Dyson I suspect is better at engineering hype then some machines (my experience is rather similar to Journeyman John) - lets see if he actually delivers
Former Member30/03/2020 14:12:19

not done it yet30/03/2020 14:43:14
4514 forum posts
16 photos

Mercedes F1 will be much faster off the staring grid! Up to 1000 a day. These are the npcap machines, not full ICU ventilators. Designed and accepted this last week, production starting next week.

Edited By not done it yet on 30/03/2020 14:44:27

Clive Brown 130/03/2020 14:44:56
411 forum posts
12 photos

I heard that trials on the Dyson ventilator showed patients were picking up well.smiley

Vic30/03/2020 14:48:51
2497 forum posts
14 photos

We have one of their V8 vacuums and now I’ve managed to clean the filter out it’s working quite well. Sadly the charger stopped working a while back so I had to replace that. There is a lack of common sense at Dyson though. I always had issue with their first foray into hand driers. Not only was the unit overly large but it actually collected dirty water a few inches from your hands which is a perfect breeding ground for germs. I think the team that came up with that particular design should have asked someone with common sense rather than perhaps a degree if it was a good idea. Luckily they’ve dropped that particular faux pas from their production line. I was at Palma Airport a couple of years back and in one of the gents were combined water/drier units made by Dyson and less than half of them actually seemed to work.

Former Member30/03/2020 14:50:12

pgk pgk30/03/2020 15:00:22
1731 forum posts
287 photos
Posted by Vic on 30/03/2020 14:48:51:

We have one of their V8 vacuums and now I’ve managed to clean the filter out it’s working quite well. Sadly the charger stopped working a while back so I had to replace that. There is a lack of common sense at Dyson though. I always had issue with their first foray into hand driers. Not only was the unit overly large but it actually collected dirty water a few inches from your hands which is a perfect breeding ground for germs. I think the team that came up with that particular design should have asked someone with common sense rather than perhaps a degree if it was a good idea. Luckily they’ve dropped that particular faux pas from their production line. I was at Palma Airport a couple of years back and in one of the gents were combined water/drier units made by Dyson and less than half of them actually seemed to work.

If you ever look at the floor under a set of hand driers you'll find it covered in dirty water spots - disgusting. Paper towel at least wipes some cr@p off.

pgk

Harry Wilkes30/03/2020 15:04:05
875 forum posts
61 photos
Posted by Journeyman on 30/03/2020 14:06:35:

Hope it's not like my vacuum cleaner then! All coloured plastic, doesn't suck very well and bits keep dropping off devil

John

Had two Dyson's for several years no problems at all and as for not suching clean filter and give the 'porta' a good blowing out 😁

H

Buffer30/03/2020 15:11:21
147 forum posts
42 photos

Didn't he move all his manufacturing to Singapore or Malaysia just after supporting brexit. If so I wonder who's going to make them.

Tony Pratt 130/03/2020 15:34:26
1106 forum posts
3 photos

They are going to make them in the UK, this news has been kicking around for a week or more , they need to start making them!

Tony

Neil Wyatt30/03/2020 15:43:29
17742 forum posts
698 photos
77 articles

Be just my luck to end up on a Dyson Ventilator.

They can demonstrate their legendary customer service...

Nurse: "The oxygen tube has broken off!"

Dyson: "No problem, we'll pop a replacement in the post, should be with you in about seven days."

Neil

Jeff Dayman30/03/2020 16:08:21
1796 forum posts
45 photos

The sad part of all this news media hype from people and firms wanting attention and free advertising is that new designs of ventilators etc are not needed at all.

Plenty of designs exist for proven ventilators that comply with respirology best practices and are made to ISO 13485 standards.

They just need to be manufactured faster by multiple firms. This means sharing specs and IP for these ventilators with other firms which has been a stumbling block.

Part of the problem to make them faster is that many ventilators have complex and unnecessary fancy external cosmetic housings and stands. Many hours of production time could be eliminated per ventilator if the housings were minimalist painted fabbed steel construction. All internal functional / critical parts could remain exactly the same, just the non critical parts could be optimized for highest production speed.

Dyson's "digital motor" is total advertising hype. Digital control, sure. Digital motor, total BS.

old mart30/03/2020 16:33:40
1564 forum posts
136 photos

I saw a feature on TV the other week showing a ventilator which was powered by compressed air, an old design which was controlled by a simple circuit board which was about to be mass produced by Sony. Can anyone remember the full details?

Andrew Tinsley30/03/2020 16:35:16
1074 forum posts

I was looking in the vacuum cleaner skip at my local tip (sorry, recycling center!). Well over half the Vacs were Dysons. Hope his ventilators work better than his vacuums.

Andrew.

Former Member30/03/2020 16:45:07

AdrianR30/03/2020 16:53:21
448 forum posts
23 photos

I had a DC01 with a lifetime guarantee, I'm still alive, it is not. It ended up needing regular major surgery. In the end I decided it was cheaper to buy a VAX instead of keep replacing the bits.

The motor still runs, in fact it ended up being a blower for my sons furnace.

Would be unfortunate if they offer a life time guarantee for the ventilators.

Jeff Dayman30/03/2020 16:58:38
1796 forum posts
45 photos
Posted by old mart on 30/03/2020 16:33:40:

I saw a feature on TV the other week showing a ventilator which was powered by compressed air, an old design which was controlled by a simple circuit board which was about to be mass produced by Sony. Can anyone remember the full details?

Many "transport" ventilators as used by ambulance and military medevac crews are powered from the pressure of the oxygen supply tank. Airon brand are one such type. Simple pneumatic time delay accumulator provides the inhale / exhale control pulses for the valving. Can also be operated on hospital medical air circuit.

I don't think this type is suitable for long tern ventilation though, the hospital type ventilators have finer sensing and controls for long term care to prevent lung injury.

Frances IoM30/03/2020 17:46:51
747 forum posts
26 photos
The motor was not manufactured by Dyson but bought in (at least in the one junked that I took apart for the expanding hose + also to play with the cyclone as a dust trap.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest