Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Brook motor off Myford Lathe problem

Removing end plate off Brook Cub motor

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Philip Edwards 227/03/2020 20:13:27
9 forum posts
5 photos

I'm stripping down the motor off my Myford Super 7. It's a Brook "Cub" capacitor start 1/3 hp. Probably early 1960's. I've removed the front end plate but cannot see any way of removing the rear one as the cable from the capacitor (which is welded the the case) goes through a hole in it - thus stopping it from moving.

I figured the armature must have to come out through the front of the case thus giving access to the wiring of the capacitor at the other end.

But.. it will not budge - I don't want to hit it to hard or put it in the press as it seems fairly solid and I don't want to destroy anything if this is the wrong approach.

Advice please.

Many thanks,

Phil.

p1210580.jpg

Phil Whitley27/03/2020 20:19:35
1438 forum posts
147 photos

I think the capacitor case has a removable end cap which can be tapped or prised off to reveal the connections at the capacitor end, can you take a pic square on to the non drive end plate?

Phil

Philip Edwards 227/03/2020 20:42:28
9 forum posts
5 photos

Phil - this is the nearest I have. I did think maybe the back end came off the capacitor and gave it a couple of gentle taps. Nothing moved so I didn't progress. It doesn't look like it's spot welded as the front cap appears top be.

Should I give it a bit of welly??

Cheers,

Phil.

I can take further photos tomorrow if need be.p1210576.jpg

Philip Edwards 228/03/2020 15:15:23
9 forum posts
5 photos

OK, so I've given the capacitor end cap a good sharp "tap" with a hammer & drift... and it's come off to reveal the cable running through a slot - hence the end plate of the motor can now be moved. Funny packing, pieces of polystyrene, around the capacitor. Must have been put in when the lathe was reconditioned - 1970/80's?

Many thanks to Phil Whitley for the suggestion.p1210583.jpg

Cheers,

Phil.

Edited By Philip Edwards 2 on 28/03/2020 15:16:31

DMR28/03/2020 16:57:20
124 forum posts
14 photos

Phil,

A cautionary note on that capacitor, bearing in mind that you think it was previously reconditioned. It may exist like it does because someone found that the case of it was conducting. make sure it stays isolated from earth if that is the case.

Phil Whitley28/03/2020 17:31:40
1438 forum posts
147 photos

remove the two screws either side of the shaft, this will release the bearing plate and allow the rotor to be withdrawn from the other end. then tap the bell housing/ stator joint with a blunt screwdriver or chisel, and remove the bell housing and capacitor as one unit, sliding the capacitor out of its housing, beware, that packing looks a lot like the contents of the capacitor that have oozed out due to internal short in the capacitor!, may not be, but it pays to be cautious! wear gloves!

Phil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest