By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Boxford Toolpost

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Swarfy27/03/2020 17:50:34
25 forum posts

Hi all

I ordered two T51 toolholders from Amazon that finally arrived today the advert states for boxford 125mm to 150mm centre height which I thought was right .They are way too small have I ordered the wrong ones ? The ones I have are 73 mm long by 44mm high approx the ones they sent are about 20mm smaller they also stated will hold 16mm square but the gap is only 13mm ish . I’m sending them back but need to order a couple from somewhere else any help much appreciated

David George 127/03/2020 17:55:47
1379 forum posts
448 photos

RDG sell these


Edited By David George 1 on 27/03/2020 17:56:17

Nigel Bennett28/03/2020 11:06:34
368 forum posts
11 photos

If you're using T51 toolholders from RDG, (the ones I bought from them were made by HBM,) they may not fit an existing T51 toolpost! I had a Boxford 280 with an original Boxford T51-sized toolpost on it, but acquiring toolholders to fit it was not really an economic option. I bought a complete toolpost-and-holders set from RDG and I've been perfectly happy with the set-up. I usually bought a couple more holders each year at Doncaster. (Exhibitions... sigh. Remember them?)

The original Boxford toolpost is made to tight manufacturing tolerances, such that the eccentric cam only has a small (approx. 0,5mm) eccentricity, enabling it to get a good grip on the toolholders with a relatively light tightening torque on the clamp handle.

The RDG set-up, although apparently identical in size, has a greater eccentricity (Approx 1mm) so manufacturing tolerances (= cheaper to make) are relaxed. Hence the RDG clamp handle has to be given a bigger heave to tighten it than the Boxford one. So what?

I later modified my original Boxford toolholder cams by grinding bits off them to get the 1mm eccentricity, and was able to get the RDG holders to fit it OK.

(Before modifying the cam, I had originally modified the clamp head - the Tee-section bit that gets hold of the toolholder - on the Boxford toolpost by thinning it down so it gripped an RDG toolholder OK. Great! Unfortunately... the next toolholder I tried wouldn't clamp up at all - I'd taken too much off the thickness. Grinding the cam and using a putting-on tool on the clamp head sorted it, and I sometimes use the Boxford toolpost plus RDG holders on the Myford on a special mounting block directly on the cross-slide. I wrote about it in ME a while ago.)

Hence if you're wanting to buy inexpensive toolholders, you may need to modify your toolpost so they fit. Or buy the toolpost as well, like I did.

Sam Spoons13/04/2020 12:21:21
82 forum posts

Similar question, the four way tool post on my battered old Boxford CSB is warped. If I had a mill I might try to sort it out but I don't so I'm looking for a replacement. The question is is it worth buying a budget QCTP system like this


or better to buy a four way like this


This is a shoestring budget project and will probably only get occasional use so I'm leaning towards the four way but the easier adjustability of the QCTP is undeniably attractive (for occasional use ease of setup and operation is important.

Clive Brown 113/04/2020 12:59:27
536 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by Sam Spoons on 13/04/2020 12:21:21:

This is a shoestring budget project and will probably only get occasional use so I'm leaning towards the four way but the easier adjustability of the QCTP is undeniably attractive (for occasional use ease of setup and operation is important.

If you want cheap, then for years I used toolholders like these on my Boxford. Made from a short length of 1" x 5/8" BMS with a 1/4" slot milled in for the HSS toolbit. The clamp in the photo is actually Myford, but easily made.

I made 15 or so. Not repeatablebut very quick and versatile. For the very heaviest jobs I used a Boxford 4-way, but that wasn't often. ( I've now spent the kids' inheritanceon a QCTP).


Sam Spoons13/04/2020 13:17:50
82 forum posts

I do have one of these but no mill to make one like yours.....

And no clamp either so I need everything that sits on and attaches to the top slide.

Edited By Sam Spoons on 13/04/2020 13:19:04

Sam Spoons14/04/2020 22:49:36
82 forum posts

Just to update my post, I've ordered this QCTP from RDG **LINK**, with the replacement tool post stud I also needed it ended up costing nearly three times the cost of the four way but, as in includes a parting tool and holder which I would have had to buy separately I decided to set fire to the shoestring (in this case at least) and buy what I hope will prove to be the right tool for the job.

Thanks for the advice.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest