Touching Distance by Graham Hurley.

Fiction, set in Devon.

Harry Wilkes20/03/2020 18:28:13
1258 forum posts
64 photos
Posted by Bill Chugg on 20/03/2020 12:21:20:
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 20/03/2020 09:37:33:
Posted by Bill Chugg on 19/03/2020 19:32:26:

Dyslexia makes it a tremendous problem for me,so the honest answer is nowt.

Youtube is my saviour, especially the videos by Keith Appleton.

Bill

Same here apart from watching that pompous Mr Appleton

H

Another sufferer. It is surprising how common this complaint is.

Agree, he is a bit like that at times, but then, none of us is perfect, and he does know more than me.

Bill

Edited By Bill Chugg on 20/03/2020 12:25:05

Yes another sufferer and I was also left hand so in my early years at school they tried to 'knock' both of them out of me !!!!

Bill Phinn20/03/2020 18:44:24
628 forum posts
89 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 19/03/2020 17:46:16:

I'm sure some of us will be thinking this is a good time to tackle "Au Recherche du Temps Perdue"...?

Pedant alert: "À la Recherche du Temps Perdu".

Unless perhaps this is the real title of a parody like the parodies "Barry Trotter" and "Bored of the Rings".

What am I reading? Well trying to: my DRO manual, which would have been more intelligible if it had not been translated from Chinese.

Joseph Noci 120/03/2020 21:32:57
1028 forum posts
1272 photos

Are there any folk here using a Kindle? We are somewhat starved of reading material here in Namibia, especially in Swakopmund - the local Library is very poor in stock...

Book Stores are likewise very limited - we have two (!) book shops in Swakop, one mostly German, the other very small.

I am considering a Kindle, but feel a little insulted by Amazons 'license' agreement - you may read but not own the book you buy, and Amazon seems to be legally able to revoke your license anytime, and you lose the book(s) you purchased. Not sure what you have to do to have the license revoked..

Also, it seems to me that the book prices on Amazon are quite high?

I hate reading a book on a tablet though - I like to have the book in hand - easy to flip back to refresh on something, etc. And the book smells good...However, I have depleted the Library's stock, both bookshops, and buying paper books from abroad is becoming difficult here.

Any Advice on a Kindle?

Joe

duncan webster20/03/2020 21:33:36
3701 forum posts
69 photos

What am I reading? Well trying to: my DRO manual, which would have been more intelligible if it had not been translated from Chinese.

I think mine is still in Chinese, it does use English words, but makes no sense at all

Edited By duncan webster on 20/03/2020 21:33:53

ega20/03/2020 22:43:35
2391 forum posts
196 photos

Joe:

I read Kindle and other ebooks on my Android tablet partly as a disincentive to buying too many print books. If you are serious about a Kindle there is lots of advice available about which model to go for.

I'm in sympathy with your comments about amazon but they are not the only game in town.

Good luck to you and to Africa!

DC31k21/03/2020 08:41:41
586 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 20/03/2020 21:32:57:

Are there any folk here using a Kindle?

I have had one since 2013 and have not bought a book yet. There are innumerable older books on there that are totally free, which might assuage your concerns over licensing.

E.g. Mark Twain; all of Dumas' (both of them) works; Shackleton; Conan Doyle; Dickens; Austin; G.K. Chesterton; Hugo.

Something I did not yet see mentioned in this thread is the enormous amount of free material online. The Internet Archive is a good place to start.

A few notables I have found: Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy, Joshua Rose Modern Machine Shop Practice, Skunkworks (Lockheed), Truth, Lies and O-rings (Space Shuttle), Ashley book of Knots.

John Haine21/03/2020 08:50:18
4407 forum posts
261 photos

We belong to 3 local libraries in 3 counties and at least two of them do e-book loans.

SillyOldDuffer21/03/2020 09:31:59
7898 forum posts
1725 photos

Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 20/03/2020 21:32:57:.

Any Advice on a Kindle?

Joe

I dislike Kindle's Terms & Conditions & business model so I bought a Bookeen. Similar to Kindle but more 'open'. I use it with Calibre, which is a free application for managing books: As well as being a reader itself, it can download, manage libraries, upload to a variety of e-readers, and convert between all the common formats.

I haven't found an affordable e-reader that handles non-fiction well. Most technical stuff is in PDF format which can't reformat on tiny ebook screens properly. Specially pictures & diagrams! I found a few big screen PDF readers aimed at the academic market, but they're expensive, with outdated software, and don't display fiction well. If anyone knows of an e-reader good for technical material and fiction, please let me know!

I mention non-fiction because there are a lot of old engineering books on the web. As my workshop's manual methods are close to how industry worked 120 years ago, I find old books more useful than modern ones.

Dave

Oven Man21/03/2020 09:48:41
174 forum posts
31 photos

Project Gutenberg is an excellent source of out of copyright free books, both fiction and non fiction. Just been reading a book from PG on how to make nitro explosives. Seems you need to build the factory on a hillside as everything is done by gravity to eliminate sparks from motors and pumps.

Have also been reading "The Age of Wonder". It is a book about the "scientists" Joseph Banks, William Herchel, Machael Faraday and others aound 1750 to 1840. Its interesting how literature and science were so intertwined at that time. People like Wordsworth and Colleredge were also very interested in science.

Peter

Journeyman21/03/2020 09:59:32
1108 forum posts
219 photos

A useful program for e-book management is Calibre which is free on Windows, Mac, Linux. Catalogues and stores and can convert all the various formats into whatever you need. Works with Kindle and other readers. Loads of free resources on line although some of them like Free E book.net keep sending e-mails!

John

Nick Clarke 321/03/2020 10:16:05
1318 forum posts
53 photos

As someone who has several books on the go at the same time I have found a Kindle to be very useful and am on my second after wearing out the batteries of the first through use.

While I agree that the prices are high on the UK Amazon site this does include VAT which is not charged on printed books, although this is set to change.

The licence (You do not own etc etc) is similar to most other software which is what an eBook is and while you certainly own a physical book you can't copy it etc and if the physical book is destroyed you don't have any rights to the text anymore either - I can't see this is very different to the eBook situation.

I my case I can therefore live with the Amazon licence. I also use the free online sources and save a bit on Kindle books being cheaper and a fortune in not having to buy more bookcases!

Journeyman21/03/2020 10:31:01
1108 forum posts
219 photos

If you use Calibre as mentioned above you can download a book from your Kindle or other device and save it locally so licensing and Amazon not being available can be circumvented.

John

Samsaranda21/03/2020 10:34:43
1291 forum posts
5 photos

Joe I understand your concerns about Amazon with Kindle and their restrictive practices and prices, I received a Kindle as a Xmas present and I really like it., you don’t have to pay the high prices as there are always books on reduced offers and there are millions of books in their library always available , not like your conventional library. I am sure that you will adapt yourself to the different feel and lack of smell, I have found and read books on there that I would never have come across ordinarily, it has certainly broadened my knowledge. You just need to decide if it is for you, as you say you have virtually exhausted books available local to you.
Dave W

Former Member21/03/2020 10:36:18

[This posting has been removed]

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
walker midge
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest