Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

S7 Tail stock

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Gordon 410/03/2020 11:34:35
128 forum posts
13 photos

My tail stock on my S7 is slightly low, Has anyone any advice on how to adjust the height ?

peak410/03/2020 11:57:03
1714 forum posts
183 photos

Is it actually low, or pointing downwards due to wear?

A possible suggestion if it's horizontal, but low, would be to split top from base and insert lengths of feeler gauge/shimstock. Starrett do long lengths of feeler gauge, available off ebay at a reasonable price.

If pointing downwards, then scrape or re-machine and then make up the lost height as above.

Bill

Martin of Wick10/03/2020 12:01:13
249 forum posts
5 photos

Is it causing a problem ie. when drilling for instance?

By how much is it offset?

Did you determine this error by using two newly cut centres (made on the lathe in question)?

If not, how confident in your centres are you? if you rotate the centres does the error vary?

Did you lock up the tailstock and barrel when measuring?

Did you check if the error varied at differing tailstock extensions?

Did you take the unit of and check for bits of swarf, burr etc on the sole of the tailstock?

answers to these points may help identify the cause of the error.

Edited By Martin of Wick on 10/03/2020 12:02:37

Edited By Martin of Wick on 10/03/2020 12:03:58

Edited By Martin of Wick on 10/03/2020 12:07:22

Alan Gordon 410/03/2020 12:39:43
128 forum posts
13 photos

Thanks guys for the help and information, I will certainly check out everything mentioned

old mart10/03/2020 14:28:32
3775 forum posts
233 photos

Having a test bar such as this one comes in very useful and its not too expensive. It can be held between centres also.

**LINK**

Harry Wilkes10/03/2020 14:47:07
1344 forum posts
65 photos

Would not bother with Old mart's kink i ordered from the same company delivery March 2nd no show no reply to messages have now asked for refund 'what this space'

I do realise that due to the current problems people maybe facing with deliveries due to the coronavirus that dos;nt stop them replying to messages

H

old mart10/03/2020 14:55:38
3775 forum posts
233 photos

I have two test bars, both Indian origin, a 7" and an 11", MT2. I bought them some years ago, so have no up to date info on their availability at present. Checking the sellers feedback before buying on ebay is always recommended.

old Al10/03/2020 15:00:19
186 forum posts

join a model engineers club, bound to be a test bar or two there

David George 111/03/2020 07:03:05
1841 forum posts
503 photos

Don't forget to inspect the Morse taper inside the tailstock I have seen damage where drills have spun under load and where swarf gas been pressed in and stuck and damaged. Use a blued standard test bar if available or an undamaged drill/ream shank and micromiter blue.

David

Harry Wilkes12/03/2020 16:14:33
1344 forum posts
65 photos
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 10/03/2020 14:47:07:

Would not bother with Old mart's kink i ordered from the same company delivery March 2nd no show no reply to messages have now asked for refund 'what this space'

I do realise that due to the current problems people maybe facing with deliveries due to the coronavirus that dos;nt stop them replying to messages

H

Update I have today received my item seller said deley down to holiday season and coronavirus, which mybe correct but why did'nt he answer my messages until I made ebay complaint !

H

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest