1729 forum posts
287 photos

The benfits of face masks for all:

Link

pgk

Kiwi Bloke07/04/2020 11:28:00
403 forum posts
1 photos

So, if domestic (and feral) cats can be infected, as big cats seem to be, what then? Millions of moggies acting as a resevoir of infection isn't a nice prospect - until everyone is immunised.

Hopper07/04/2020 12:00:50
4407 forum posts
94 photos
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 07/04/2020 11:28:00:

So, if domestic (and feral) cats can be infected, as big cats seem to be, what then? Millions of moggies acting as a resevoir of infection isn't a nice prospect - until everyone is immunised.

There are no recorded incidents of feline to human transmission. Don't panic.

Hopper07/04/2020 12:03:35
4407 forum posts
94 photos
Posted by pgk pgk on 07/04/2020 10:35:48:

Link

pgk

Isn't the current problem that if everyone wears a facemask, there will not be enough for medical staff to wear, who need it much more than the rest of us?

Kiwi Bloke07/04/2020 12:15:16
403 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Hopper on 07/04/2020 12:00:50:

Well, not yet perhaps. If it's the same virus in humans and cats, transmission will occur. Why should species-jumps be one-way? I don't panic easily, just trying to think ahead.

pgk pgk07/04/2020 13:22:28
1729 forum posts
287 photos
Posted by Hopper on 07/04/2020 12:03:35:
Posted by pgk pgk on 07/04/2020 10:35:48:

Link

pgk

Isn't the current problem that if everyone wears a facemask, there will not be enough for medical staff to wear, who need it much more than the rest of us?

2 points .. one that even more incentive to get cracking making them and secondly even poor home made masks will help.. they may not protect the wearer but they will help to protect others around if the wearer is asymptomatic but shedding. We know that this virus can be spread before clincial signs of cough and also that folk will keep going out even with mild symptoms. Sometimes pure necessity with lack of home deliveries/friends and sometimes stupidity and stubbornness. If everyone should wear a mask outdoors then it'd shame/identify the cheats.
We talk of 2m separation but a sneeze can carry 6m

pgk

pgk pgk07/04/2020 13:28:47
1729 forum posts
287 photos

The likelihood of a vaccine is a way off. So far government plans are based on lowering it down so hospitals can keep up but inevitably wthout some wonder cure they are going to have to move to allowing everyone to catch it at a rate hospitals can cope with. There is concern about immunity waning over time and a second wave.
Now I avoided talking about domestic moggies 'cos hysteria could lead to vast numbers being killed without real proof of their role. it is still in some doubt - other big cats in the bronx zoo stayed well. But there is a potential paradox here..if cats can carry it then once the population has had the virus then cats might act as a way of keeping that immunity active as well as acting as another test subject (as well as ferrets).

pgk

pgk

John Harding07/04/2020 13:34:59
26 forum posts

Re Masks, no need to buy them, make them. The purpose of wearing a mask is trap and hold the wearers exhalations. a mask with an outlet would defeat that objective.

i don't know how to make the link but og to guardian.co.uk and search, masks 4all last paragraph describes the success in the Czech Republic.

jh

Cornish Jack07/04/2020 13:42:27
1088 forum posts
154 photos

... and still people don't learn1 The benefits of the internet are undoubtedly ease and speed of communication. Unfortunately, it also allows the unthinking and uninformed to repeat rumours, unfounded statements and unsubstantiated rubbish. If you have and can personally prove some information which will be of immediate and universal benefit pass it to the authorities concerned. If those conditions don't apply, .... shut up and leave the keyboard alone!!!

The damage done by 'passing on' 'useful information' is immense and totally unhelpfulangry

irritated beyond belief

Bill

SillyOldDuffer07/04/2020 13:51:18
5633 forum posts
1157 photos
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 07/04/2020 12:15:16:

... If it's the same virus in humans and cats, transmission will occur. Why should species-jumps be one-way? I don't panic easily, just trying to think ahead.

Inter-species jumps are difficult - if they were easy, we'd be ill all the time. Infectious diseases are tuned more of less to their hosts by shared chemistry. Anything of a mismatch and the risks caused by bugs plummet. Chemistry obviously matters on a larger scale too: cat fleas dislike human blood, and - even though sheep love it, I can't digest grass. Between 1 and 3% of human body weight is bacteria living in us, fortunately we're friends.

Coranavirus is a common as muck family of viruses that have been around forever. They infect many different hosts including dogs, see Canine Coronavirus, but don't usually jump between species. When they do, immune systems are unprepared. In humans, one member of a large family is causing big trouble.  Covid-19 is fairly infectious and mildly dangerous. Covid-19 is a variant that happens to have chemistry matched to human cells. People spread it, not cats, dogs, or red-herrings!

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 07/04/2020 13:53:06

Martin Kyte07/04/2020 14:12:39
1806 forum posts
33 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 07/04/2020 13:51:18:
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 07/04/2020 12:15:16:

... If it's the same virus in humans and cats, transmission will occur. Why should species-jumps be one-way? I don't panic easily, just trying to think ahead.

Inter-species jumps are difficult - if they were easy, we'd be ill all the time. Infectious diseases are tuned more of less to their hosts by shared chemistry. Anything of a mismatch and the risks caused by bugs plummet. Chemistry obviously matters on a larger scale too: cat fleas dislike human blood, and - even though sheep love it, I can't digest grass. Between 1 and 3% of human body weight is bacteria living in us, fortunately we're friends.

Coranavirus is a common as muck family of viruses that have been around forever. They infect many different hosts including dogs, see Canine Coronavirus, but don't usually jump between species. When they do, immune systems are unprepared. In humans, one member of a large family is causing big trouble. Covid-19 is fairly infectious and mildly dangerous. Covid-19 is a variant that happens to have chemistry matched to human cells. People spread it, not cats, dogs, or red-herrings!

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 07/04/2020 13:53:06

Inter-species jumps are difficult - if they were easy, we'd be ill all the time.

Correct in as far as a virus in say cats has to mutate to acquire the ability to enter human cells for the first time. SARS CoV 2 has already done this.

However I don't want to stoke the fires of speculation. So far there are no known cases of spreading via animals.

regards Martin

mark costello 107/04/2020 18:57:09
586 forum posts
12 photos

Stupidity knows no bounds, had to go into town today for a necessity.. Traffic was light, You think people would be relaxed and grateful, instead people were willfully running red lights without stopping at all. With very limited visibility . Darwin cleaning out the gene pool would be good if They did not take Some one with Them.

duncan webster08/04/2020 14:41:22
2543 forum posts
49 photos

Post Office delivery workers in my town have now decided to go on strike over coronvirus, so I won't be getting my paper copy of ME. Any chance of opening up digital access to those who have paper subscriptions for the duration?

Martin Kyte08/04/2020 14:44:29
1806 forum posts
33 photos

That's serious. I hope it doesn't esculate.

regards Martin

J Hancock08/04/2020 14:50:47
391 forum posts

Just maybe, an informative programme tonight on post-corona world, R4 8pm Fallout with Mervyn King and others.

Mick B108/04/2020 15:57:30
1552 forum posts
83 photos
Posted by J Hancock on 08/04/2020 14:50:47:

Just maybe, an informative programme tonight on post-corona world, R4 8pm Fallout with Mervyn King and others.

Let's just get into the post-corona world on our feet, before we worry about it....

Former Member08/04/2020 16:23:33

[This posting has been removed]

Neil Wyatt08/04/2020 16:43:03
17722 forum posts
697 photos
77 articles
Posted by duncan webster on 08/04/2020 14:41:22:

Post Office delivery workers in my town have now decided to go on strike over coronvirus, so I won't be getting my paper copy of ME. Any chance of opening up digital access to those who have paper subscriptions for the duration?

HI Duncan,

The next issue will contain a 3 for £1 subscription offer which can be used for print, digital or both combined.

I'll make sure that the offer is put up on the website next week.

That's the best I can sort at the moment, but in the unlikely event the postal system was to collapse totally we would look at that as an option (although more likely the magazine would have to go into hibernation - we've already lost our overseas distribution).

Neil

pgk pgk08/04/2020 16:55:26
1729 forum posts
287 photos

Don't take too much notice of figures for one or two days

I was reading some NHS stats a few days ago and they made the point that many NHS regions don't report weekend deaths until a day or three after the weekend. If you look at the death bar graph on worldometer it shows saturdays and sundays with lower deaths and then climbing in the days after.
Deaths will follow infections by up to three weeks so a daily death total doesn't give a current picture and UK testing of suspects isn't wide enough to know what level of virus we have in the populace.

Its also very hard to get clear figres of survivability amongst those hospitalised. On 5th april there were 1,559 ITU cases of C-19 - again such figures don't tell us exactly at what time and if all are reported because 5,6,7th April death totals exceed 1,800. I did do some number crunching re survivability of ITU cases UK but it's hard toget meaningful data but it didn't look good - again its a matter of what you call a serious case... just supportive O2 by mask or positive pressure O2 or full ventilation - different countries will choose their own stats.

pgk

Michael Gilligan09/04/2020 10:04:29
15480 forum posts
668 photos

Passport Office staff told to go back to work

dont know

Methinks there may be ‘unrest’ brewing:

**LINK**

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52219930

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest