Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Coronavirus

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Kyte01/04/2020 13:18:43
1776 forum posts
33 photos

You may like to hear about the efforts of our Lab in the scientific effort. You can read about it here.

**LINK**

regards Martin

Michael Gilligan01/04/2020 13:51:10
15442 forum posts
666 photos

Thanks for sharing that, Martin

Fascinating and encouraging yes

... I will look out for further developments.

MichaelG.

Bill Davies 201/04/2020 14:14:12
180 forum posts
10 photos

Martin, thank you and all your colleagues.

Such important work. Incredible that biology was considered so unimportant in my youth, that my generation of boys were not taught the subject. Just to be fair, the girls weren't taught physics.

Bill

Martin Kyte01/04/2020 14:57:12
1776 forum posts
33 photos

Hi Bill

I'm at home and not involved with the research. I'm normally part of the support staff (electronics workshop) and not a scientist so not needed at this time. We do have a number of non scientific staff operational to supply all that the teams currently working on the virus require.

It's my colleages who should be thanked. I feel quite emotional to know how directly they are involved. I'm proud of them.

regards Martin

larry phelan 101/04/2020 16:59:59
649 forum posts
22 photos

Just received a travel mag inviting me to travel to the Far East for "Tour of my life".

Comments please ????

Samsaranda01/04/2020 17:25:56
905 forum posts
5 photos

Might just cost you your life ! ! !

Dave W

pgk pgk01/04/2020 17:50:17
1721 forum posts
287 photos

As a change to the doom and gloom:

One of our rescue/sanctuary/stray sheep is a bit of an escape artist..through the smallest hole or squeeze under the lowest wire. She had an away-day a few months back...

Now she's using her assorted escape routes to come to the back door and beg for extra treats. No this isn't part of our lockdown food supplies...

img_20200401_131848625.jpg

Steviegtr01/04/2020 18:45:06
1153 forum posts
94 photos

After hanging on the phone for over an hr, got through to Jet 2 & getting a full refund on the cancelled holiday due to the dreaded.

Steve.

Ian Skeldon 201/04/2020 19:01:57
476 forum posts
30 photos

Great efforts by a lot of people, thanks for posting that Martin, hopefully they're combined effort will beat this damned virus before it kills many more people.

Ady101/04/2020 19:14:35
3639 forum posts
514 photos
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 01/04/2020 16:59:59:

Just received a travel mag inviting me to travel to the Far East for "Tour of my life".

Comments please ????

Global adventure holidays, go now to avoid the crowds

We have a huge selection of 20,000 hotel rooms, you can choose from every single room we have

There is no room service so please bring your own sandwiches

guests are encouraged to find their own way home at the end of their holiday

Neil Wyatt01/04/2020 20:33:15
17703 forum posts
697 photos
77 articles

**LINK**

3D printed face shields for NHS people at lower risk to help prioritise full shields for people dealing with high risks.

You have to take care to keep them sterile.

This looks a more practical way people with 3D printers can help. I'm on my second frame and only started 2 hours ago.

If I can do 20 in two-three days it looks like DHL will collect and take them to the central distribution point.

Neil

Neil Wyatt01/04/2020 20:34:51
17703 forum posts
697 photos
77 articles
Posted by Martin Kyte on 01/04/2020 13:18:43:

You may like to hear about the efforts of our Lab in the scientific effort. You can read about it here.

**LINK**

regards Martin

Brilliant, thanks Martin.

Neil

Martin Kyte01/04/2020 21:12:26
1776 forum posts
33 photos

Here is Antonia talking about viruses at our exibit at the 2013 Royal Society Exhibition. The James group was invited to demonstrate their then new findings of how antibody can destroy virus particles even after they have invaded the cell. This is the same group now working on the current problem described in my earlier link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aLqsTxPFls

Little did we know then how serious the effort was to become some 7 years later.

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 01/04/2020 21:13:23

Martin King 201/04/2020 23:14:36
680 forum posts
257 photos

Hi All,

Just started to 3D print the PRUSA RC£ face masks to forward to the NHS, can manage 10 or so I hope, maybe more. Not much but I guess every little helps?

Cheers, Martin

Kiwi Bloke02/04/2020 01:26:22
398 forum posts
1 photos

Well, it's great that some people with 3-D printers are doing their bit, but 3-D printing is so slow. It should be possible to knock out face shields by the thousand with laser and/or water jet cutters. Transparent plastic from packaging firms and foam plastic/rubber for the headband/former.

Hope product liability and medical device testing, etc. is relaxed, otherwise, should any device procured from a 'novel' source fail and be a possible cause of a medical problem, the lawyers will jump in...

Colin Whittaker02/04/2020 02:40:43
104 forum posts
12 photos

Here in Phuket we have 1 week to decide whether we intend to stay for the duration of the Covid-19 crisis.

First we began to lose access to transit airports such as Singapore, Dubai, Abu Dhabi etc.

Then they closed the bridge between Phuket and the mainland.

Next week Phuket International Airport will close until the end of the month and probably longer.

I had no plans to go anywhere but it's a funny feeling when they close all the doors and lock them.

Good luck to you all.

Colin

Danny M2Z02/04/2020 05:43:14
833 forum posts
282 photos

l had a few words with my postman/junk mail person today,

He saw me removing the junk mail from the mailbox and asked why was I wearing rubber gloves and remarked that he was fine so I was being a bit paranoid.

I told him that even if he was fine, he should buy and wear his own gloves as he had no control over who handled the letters/advertising material before him and suggested for him to be careful.

I also remarked that all junk mail and (especially) my bills should be printed on toilet paper which should save me shopping for the stuff and also be useful for appropriate re-cycling purposes.

Well he got a bit snarky.and stormed off in a bit of a huff.

I was actually trying to do him a favour but then some people just don't learn.

What's more important, if he does get the WuFlu then every letter that he touches could spread it around my little township like wildfire.

Am I really being a bit too paranoid?

* Danny M *

pgk pgk02/04/2020 07:00:14
1721 forum posts
287 photos
Posted by Danny M2Z on 02/04/2020 05:43:14:

I was actually trying to do him a favour but then some people just don't learn.

What's more important, if he does get the WuFlu then every letter that he touches could spread it around my little township like wildfire.

* Danny M *

Modern folk have got more touchy about how things are said. You should have held up emoticons while you spoke.

As for Postie wearing gloves:
The claims we hear are that you can't catch it from eating food.
That it's an airborne disease.
That one should wash one's hands.
BUT we are not privvy to the real statsitics or perhaps they aren't really known.

For frontline staff facing high viral loads and generally needing to be clean then handwashing is a must and while I follow 'da rulzs' I strongly suspect that short of picking your nose with contaminated hands the hazard level is low and WHO and gov advice is as much to keep the public occupied as it is of benefit - like collecting all the pots and pans and iron railings during WW2 then not using them. A sort of morale boost that one is doing one's 'bit'

Realistically for Postie he'd have to disinfect/change a pair of gloves between every delivery because of theoretical risk to him and if he had the bug then any pair of gloves he wore would be contaminated by him pronto unless he fumigated the back of the van before gettng out each delivery and held his breath thereafter until deposited.

Gov advice at present is not there to stop you getting it. It's there to slow down the rate of spread so they can cope with the level of serious cases as they happen but everyone will catsh it. To stop it they'd have to have resources to supply effective mask for everyone, disposable whole body suits every time you go out, disinfect all public spaces regularly and all goods and a total lock-down of all borders with enforced quarantine for anyone and their contacts while mass testing everyone every couple of days until proven immune. And keep everyone 6m apart.

pgk

Martin Kyte02/04/2020 09:10:39
1776 forum posts
33 photos
Posted by Danny M2Z on 02/04/2020 05:43:14:

l

* Danny M *

Well as youhave asked, and just thinking this through.

Probably

The last thing we need is for delivery's to stop. However traces of virus could be on objects so hand washing is very desireable.

As to pgk pgk's 'we are not privy to the real statistics'. I would suggest we are. The government are being completely frank with us. Data is disseminated as soon as it is available and reliable. It is the governments interest that the population take all the neccessary precautions to stop the spread and if there were a high risk of spread through material handling then warning would be issued.

At the moment the chances of your postman being an infected person is low, as soon as he shows symptoms it is most likely he wont be working, if he is contaminated again the chances of transfer to your parcel will be less than 1, and if you are washing yor hands again the chaces of you catching the virus from the packaging are also fractional. Each probability step reduces the risk. So don't panic but do wash your hands.

Most of the previous post are responsible and balanced so I'm not criticising or getting at everyone, but like wildfire is a little too emotive in my opinion?.

You were probably more at risk by standing talking to him than handling the post.

best regards Martin

Michael Checkley02/04/2020 09:11:09
111 forum posts
65 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 01/04/2020 20:33:15:

**LINK**

3D printed face shields for NHS people at lower risk to help prioritise full shields for people dealing with high risks.

You have to take care to keep them sterile.

This looks a more practical way people with 3D printers can help. I'm on my second frame and only started 2 hours ago.

If I can do 20 in two-three days it looks like DHL will collect and take them to the central distribution point.

Neil

I have also seen requests for support on places like LinkedIn and having all the tools to assist I have been thinking about how I can also do my bit. However, does anyone know if this "stuff" will actually make it to our NHS staff? or will it end up in landfill or sold abroad? I have heard stories of piles of donated PPE that cannot be used as it does not meet the requirements. Next years documentaries are probably being written as we speak.

Having worked on a few medical equipment projects I know that it can take as much effort to get through qualification as it did to design the thing in the first place. If I was handed a homemade face mask to wear either on a ward or in a car park doing routine checks I`m not sure I would be that happy. I suppose its better than nothing but they don't have nothing its out there, somewhere, waiting to be distributed. The impression I have is that we have enough PPE in the UK its just in the wrong place and getting moved about more promptly now.

Perhaps someone that knows first hand can clarify as I would be happy for my Ultimaker to be working day and night if it was going to good use.

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest