Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Warco Minor Mill - Spindle Lock

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Connelly21/02/2020 18:32:30
1026 forum posts
122 photos

I have a Bridgeport drawbar on my similar mill. The thick end stays above the belt cover and has spanner flats. I use this to tighten the R8 collet holding the ER collet chuck by means of a ring spanner on the drawbar and one on the ER chuck. Once there is some grip by the R8 collet you can put on plenty of torque. It is also good for removing the ER chuck. My ER chuck has flats and general tool change is by use of a spanner on these flats and an ER nut wrench.

I don't need to worry about the drawbar protruding above the cover as i don't open it often as I have a VFD.

Martin C

old mart21/02/2020 19:25:50
1252 forum posts
116 photos

I would look into milling flats on the collet chuck to use a spanner on. I did that with a 6mm solid carbide end mill on the er25 x R8 collets that I bought. I notice that the current Chinese ones already have the flat from new. If we want to change the cutter without removing the er25 from the spindle, we use spanners with specially long handles, at least 250mm long. On the Tom Senior with the R8 spindle, I had the luxury of being able to incorporate spanner flats near the spindle nose during the design phase and also another mill to carry out the work.

Mitch Lees21/02/2020 22:07:14
11 forum posts
3 photos

Martin,

I am fed up with climbing on a stool every time I want to make a speed change so I am going to invest in a 3 phase motor and vfd like you. Again in order to open the pulley cover I usually have to move the head up, so when drilling and then reaming at a different speed I loose the position of the column - once I have the vfd I should be able to avoid this.
I am going to adapt my Er25 collet holder, but I will make sure the next size of er collets I buy have a chuck with flats. The spindle stop however is still the ideal solution as one can loosen the collet with one hand and hold the tool with the other, whereas with 2 spanners you know what will happen to the tool!

thanks

mitch

not done it yet21/02/2020 23:03:27
4170 forum posts
15 photos

you know what will happen to the tool!

Perennial problem with a mill and ER collets. I keep some ‘1-2-3’ blocks of wood handy, to support the cutters while tightening or loosening the chuck. The knee of my Raglan mill goes up and down like a yoyo when drilling, tapping and counterboring!

Martin Connelly21/02/2020 23:16:15
1026 forum posts
122 photos

I have a single ended spanner for the flats on my ER32 collet body. It is long enough that when it is on the chuck I can turn the spindle to the point where it is against the column. It is a good enough fit to the chuck to not fall off easily. Pressure on the nut with the nut wrench pins it there freeing a hand to hold the bit going into or coming out of the collet. Initial loosening or final tightening is done with the two tools in hand in the normal way, the nuts are ball bearing versions.

Martin C

Graham Stoppani22/02/2020 08:25:15
48 forum posts
9 photos
Posted by Bazyle on 21/02/2020 18:27:37:

By the way I think it is a Warco Major. The style of the base of the column is different from my monor and I doubt the little minor would have had an R8 option.

It is the Minor, I own one as well. Also there's a picture with the model name on it in Mitch's album. That said, mine is MT3 and I wasn't aware they did an R8 option.

old mart22/02/2020 15:08:41
1252 forum posts
116 photos

I put a wad of paper or rag under the tool to catch it when the collet is slackened off. You can always tighten the collet with the fingers enough to hold it before tightening up.

Edited By old mart on 22/02/2020 15:11:05

not done it yet22/02/2020 15:28:04
4170 forum posts
15 photos
Posted by old mart on 22/02/2020 15:08:41:

I put a wad of paper or rag under the tool to catch it when the collet is slackened off. You can always tighten the collet with the fingers enough to hold it before tightening up.

Edited By old mart on 22/02/2020 15:11:05

OK for end mills - they have standard sized shanks at the nominal size of the collet. Not so for drills close to the minimum size for that particular collet.🙂

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest