Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What bench drill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roderick Jenkins07/02/2020 15:58:11
1824 forum posts
463 photos

When I bought my pillar drill Jet were the only ones to specify a run out on the quill. At least it gives you something to complain against. I'm actually very happy with mine.

Rod

Neil Wyatt07/02/2020 17:36:01
17394 forum posts
690 photos
77 articles
Posted by Martin of Wick on 07/02/2020 15:49:48:

Trouble is, for some reason you expect the higher priced machines from the commercial importers to be better than the budget version of their ranges that we all have in the garage to do menial work. Having looked to upgrade for over a year at various machines in the £200 to £300 category, I came to the conclusion paying more only gets you a bigger drill, not a better one.

They are without fail characterised by any or all of the following; wobbly quills, off centre spindles or chucks, flexible columns the thickness of a baked bean can, inadequate mounting hardware, rough actions etc etc.

Try one of these, I don't think any of those criticisms apply to mine.

www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cdp302b-bench-drill-press-230v/

Vic07/02/2020 18:09:39
2434 forum posts
12 photos

As I mentioned in another post I was shocked by the JET drill they bought at work. Dreadful surface finish on the table and base and the column was made from steel tube with a wall thickness of a under 3mm. It was pretty noisy as well. If you’re spending more than £200 then wait for an old English drill in good working order.

Having said all that I commented to a local supplier that a bench drill lounging unused on his workshop floor looked good. It turned out to be a Chinese machine that looked very well made to me. It was over 20 years old he said and had it’s origins clearly marked. He said it was a nice machine.

Brian Morehen08/02/2020 16:17:05
48 forum posts
6 photos

Available from Thursday 13 Feb At Lidl Bench Pillar Drill £ 59.99 Looks good Info sounds O/K May have look if there . No I am not selling it . Any body in need may be worth a Look?

Brian Morehen

Martin of Wick09/02/2020 10:16:42
185 forum posts
4 photos

Neil, I think you have had better luck than me. Possibly the FE machines I have seen on display have not been set up properly or were the Friday afternoon jobs, but they didn't inspire confidence. I have been within a gnats whisker of shelling out my £250 or so, but just couldn't bring myself to do it based on the slop in the quill system. Although I expect in use, as you say, such machines probably deliver perfectly satisfactory results in terms of hole production.

Anyway, my drilling blues are now over as I have just acquired a Denford Viceroy pillar drill, locally and at a sensible price, but in the most horrific cosmetic condition (presumably from being stuck at the back of a farmers barn unused for the last half century).

What swung it for me was just how smooth and solid the quill movement was, even under the grime and neglect. This was confirmed when I finally manhandled its 120 kilo bulk out of the car and got a clock on it. About 2 thou runout at full (4.5 in) extension.

There will be a considerable cost in elbow grease, and a bit more for paint and new switch gear. Hope the effort will result in a smooth, solid, dependable drilling machine for about half the price of an import machine. (permission to be smug sir!)

clogs09/02/2020 10:38:22
506 forum posts
12 photos

when I lived in Los-Angeles "JET" was then just Chinese old tat.....better now I guess......?

Axminster machines are also Chinese????? but perhaps somebody checks em for accuracy before they are shipped to europe......where do the bad'uns end up ??????.

Nothing wrong with Chinese/Asian tooling, it's when it's built DOWN to a price that causes trouble.......

Dave Halford09/02/2020 10:57:37
616 forum posts
5 photos
Posted by Martin of Wick on 09/02/2020 10:16:42:

What swung it for me was just how smooth and solid the quill movement was, even under the grime and neglect. This was confirmed when I finally manhandled its 120 kilo bulk out of the car and got a clock on it. About 2 thou runout at full (4.5 in) extension.

There will be a considerable cost in elbow grease, and a bit more for paint and new switch gear. Hope the effort will result in a smooth, solid, dependable drilling machine for about half the price of an import machine. (permission to be smug sir!)

Proper job, good choice Martin

Mike Brett09/02/2020 12:08:33
111 forum posts
18 photos

Yep, I found that treasured specimen about two years ago, in the form of an Elliott floor standing pillar drill. Very heavy beast, the chap who I purchased it from luckily had a fork lift truck to put it into the back of my truck. Paid about 180 pounds for it . Its only fault was it needed a new chuck which cost me about the same again. Lovely machine , only drawback is you have to adjust table height by muscle power, and that table is so heavy. I plan to install a counter balance on it this year, as I am not getting any younger.

Mike

Bill Phinn09/02/2020 12:55:41
278 forum posts
52 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 07/02/2020 17:36:01:

I don't think any of those criticisms apply to mine.

Nor mine, which is the same as Neil's.

Mike 9009/02/2020 13:26:25
23 forum posts
4 photos

I like the look of the Clarke CDP 302 B, Chuck capacity 16mm, and it would be plenty powerful for me at 550w, and the price is about right but not sure about the size, my bench is is only 1’-7” in depth, so not sure, could you advise, me will it fit ?, the hight will be ok though, and I would have plenty of clearance there, thanks guys.

Bill Phinn09/02/2020 13:51:00
278 forum posts
52 photos

Mike, the base is 42cm along its long edge. Another possibly important dimension for you or others considering buying is the rearward projection of the head/motor assembly beyond the base: projection beyond the rear edge of the base is around 16 cm.

Mike 9009/02/2020 14:57:32
23 forum posts
4 photos

Thanks Bill but sadly it looks like I will have to keep looking, the maximum depth I have is 53cm, front of the bench to the inside wall of my shed, I will just have to look for a smaller drill. Or Spend more and get a pillar drill, that could be a possibility I suppose.

Mick B109/02/2020 19:36:16
1451 forum posts
77 photos

This thread has made me look at my cheap bench drill with new eyes. It's an old B&Q job from 1998 and cost about 25-odd quid, but there's no play I can feel in the quill even at full extension, not much runout on a drill in the chuck, and I can get the table reasonably square to the quill travel.

But at an unremebered time in the past some crime, folly or misfortune of mine broke up the plastic guardholder moulding that carried the depth marker, and I've been sticking bits of 'insulting tape' on the drills as a rough guide to depth ever since.

So I've refurbished it with an alli clamp, a bit of M8 studding and a pointer made from scraps of black MS flat and alli strip. The clamp's held by some M6x50 Skt Csk screws left over from another project. Works OK.

Pity my bit of alli for the clamp wasn't quite big enough to mount it parallel to the front face, but hey - that's just cosmetic...

benchdrilldepthga.jpg

not done it yet09/02/2020 22:22:24
4170 forum posts
15 photos

Of course, if you are a MM customer, you will likely get periodic invitations to their “VAT free” sessions (actually simply a 20% discount opportunity, not VAT free). £200 would buy that drill on one of those occasions, if one is not in a hurry to part with the cash...

Mike 9019/02/2020 18:31:31
23 forum posts
4 photos

Today I took delivery of my Clarke CDP152B bench drill, from Machine mart, ordered it last Sunday so delivery quite good, managed to put it together without any problems,
all i need to do now is build an extension to my bench, as at the moment it’s got my Chester DB7 lathe, shotgun shell reloader, and my bench vice, the drill should be plenty powerful enough at 350v, 16mm chuck and 12 speeds, just wishing the weather was a bit better so I can get down to the shed, to get the bench extension done.

Mike 9019/02/2020 23:38:05
23 forum posts
4 photos

Correction to my last post my new drill is 450w and not 350w, even better !.

not done it yet22/02/2020 09:10:42
4170 forum posts
15 photos

Mike, you have PM’s. (See tool bar at the top of the page)

Douglas Johnston22/02/2020 09:51:06
680 forum posts
32 photos
Posted by not done it yet on 09/02/2020 22:22:24:

Of course, if you are a MM customer, you will likely get periodic invitations to their “VAT free” sessions (actually simply a 20% discount opportunity, not VAT free). £200 would buy that drill on one of those occasions, if one is not in a hurry to part with the cash...

I used to get regular invitations to MM vat free days but have not had one for a long time. Have they given up on this marketing ploy?

Doug

petro1head22/02/2020 18:43:24
732 forum posts
143 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 07/02/2020 17:36:01:

Try one of these, I don't think any of those criticisms apply to mine.

Or what about this one Machine Mart Pillar Drill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest