Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Anodizing

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steviegtr28/01/2020 23:05:34
469 forum posts
126 photos

Does anyone have any experience with anodizing. Also would it produce the results i am after. I am making coin rings & some are a mixture of Zinc & other metals. After a few days of wearing them it makes the finger go black. If i anodized the the inside of the ring would this stop the effect. There are other ways of doing this. One being to clear laquer them. But after a time that would wear away. Any advice appreciated.

Steve.

Grindstone Cowboy28/01/2020 23:44:51
191 forum posts
11 photos

I'm probably wrong, but I thought anodising only worked on aluminium and it's alloys? Neil Wyatt (amongst others) has posted a number of times about anodising - for example here.

If you do a search for anodising ( at the top of the thread you'll see "Search for: in Thread Title in All Topics", just enter 'anodising' as the keyword and click the 'Go' button), you'll find many threads referring to the subject.

Hope this helps.

Steviegtr29/01/2020 00:13:46
469 forum posts
126 photos

Yes reading deeper not sure you can anodize zinc. Will keep looking.

Steve.

David George 129/01/2020 08:07:05
1054 forum posts
333 photos

Try Gateros plating they do courses on how to anodise as well as supply equipment. They also do other plating as well I have heard of gold plating to stop getting a black finger.

https://www.gaterosplating.co.uk/anodising-main

David

Neil Wyatt29/01/2020 10:35:20
17064 forum posts
690 photos
76 articles

The chap in that video silver soldered a ring of sterling silver inside.

You could try a 'gold plating pen'.

Neil

Steviegtr29/01/2020 14:25:15
469 forum posts
126 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 29/01/2020 10:35:20:

The chap in that video silver soldered a ring of sterling silver inside.

You could try a 'gold plating pen'.

Neil

Yes I have seen the silver lining done on that Japanese coin I posted. On reading more into this & being the div I am. I did a wiki on the half crown & old 2 shillings of which I have a lot. There is no Zinc in them it is .Get this right. Cupronickel. Two thirds Copper & one third Nickel. Both of which it seems can be successfully anodized. The idea was to create some sort of barrier to the outside of the ring & Anodize the inside. Which on some could include a colour.

Can be a problem buying sulphuric acid these days apparently Those kits mentioned above have no mention of having to buy anything else. Looks like a complete kit. Managed to pick up a 2" BSP S/S socket & ordered 2 chunky bungs. Idea to create a self centring hole punch & use cut down drill as the punches. The ones from the US are ridiculous in price. I have punched out 3 coins ,where I have not got the hole perfectly centred. This takes ages to correct. Hence making something to make it idiot proof.

Steve.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest