Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

A little bit upset

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
geoff walker 127/01/2020 18:19:10
368 forum posts
145 photos

Hi All,

I'm a little bit upset, just spent £3 on the wrong items, that's why it's just a little!!

I am currently planning a rack feed for My Myford M type.

There is a link on here to a 1956 Martin Cleeve design with copies of the article from two M.E. issues. I know I could print the article copies but I like to have a copies of the original magazine.

So from the link on here we have issue numbers 2379 and 2381 which I spotted on ebay a duly bought. Got the mags this morning and not a sign of the rack tailstock.

The correct issues are 2877 and 2879, a country mile out, grrrrrr.

Never mind, like I say just a little upset, and 3 quid out of pocket!!!!

Geoff

Howard Lewis27/01/2020 18:35:45
2730 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Geoff!

Have got dates for those M Es? I have a number of issues dating back to the 1940s, so may one of the ones for which you search.

SWMBO wants rid of them so before too long they are all going to have to appear in the Classifieds, somewhere.

Howard

geoff walker 127/01/2020 18:55:53
368 forum posts
145 photos

Hi Howard,

The 2879 issue is 12th. july 1956 so 2877 two weeks earlier?

Yes I'm interested Howard depending on price and whether you do paypal.

P.M. me Howard when you are ready

Thanks Geoff

old mart27/01/2020 19:20:13
1083 forum posts
113 photos

Tell me about it, several times, something completely wrong has come in the post from ebay, and when I checked the listing, it was my misreading of the advert in the first place.

geoff walker 127/01/2020 19:48:12
368 forum posts
145 photos

Hi Old Mart, (Martin is it?)

Tell me about it, several times, something completely wrong has come in the post from ebay, and when I checked the listing, it was my misreading of the advert in the first place.

Yes I know that feeling Martin but in this no fault on the seller I got exactly what was in the advert, but as indicated earlier not what I wanted

Geoff

old mart27/01/2020 19:56:45
1083 forum posts
113 photos

I did give the sellers good feedback, incidentally.

Neil Wyatt27/01/2020 20:56:04
17064 forum posts
690 photos
76 articles
Posted by geoff walker 1 on 27/01/2020 18:19:10:

Hi All,

I'm a little bit upset, just spent £3 on the wrong items, that's why it's just a little!!

I am currently planning a rack feed for My Myford M type.

There is a link on here to a 1956 Martin Cleeve design with copies of the article from two M.E. issues. I know I could print the article copies but I like to have a copies of the original magazine.

So from the link on here we have issue numbers 2379 and 2381 which I spotted on ebay a duly bought. Got the mags this morning and not a sign of the rack tailstock.

The correct issues are 2877 and 2879, a country mile out, grrrrrr.

Never mind, like I say just a little upset, and 3 quid out of pocket!!!!

Geoff

Can you point me at the error so I can correct it?

Neil

Jeff Dayman27/01/2020 21:00:00
1719 forum posts
45 photos

Hi Neil, you have a PM re a different matter just FYI - nothing urgent

geoff walker 127/01/2020 21:13:28
368 forum posts
145 photos

Hi Neil

The error is at the head of your link to the 1956 original martin cleeve articles in M.E.

The ones for the myford lathe

Geoff

Keith Long27/01/2020 22:02:16
802 forum posts
10 photos

Geoff, check your ordinary e-mail in box there should be a biggish file in there for you. If it hasn't travelled OK let me knowand I'll re-send it.

Keith

Steviegtr28/01/2020 22:52:35
469 forum posts
126 photos
Posted by old mart on 27/01/2020 19:20:13:

I've done that too. Ranting at wrong item & then re-read the ad. oops.

Steve.

not done it yet29/01/2020 06:00:54
3928 forum posts
15 photos

I was too, yesterday - well late Monday - when we arrived home.

I had made offers (as you do) for a printer which the vendors ignored, giving nothing off even though the offer was BIN or Make an Offer. At third attempt, they accepted a £3 reduction - but nearly three days wasted hissing about.

Had notification that a delivery was being made while we were away, even though I requested it be Tuesday. I expected it was either delivered to a neighbour or would require redelivery arranging. It was sent tracked 48 hour delivery.

What I found, on arrival at home, was a parcel delivered through the letterbox!. Twelve stainless steel straws!

On enquiring I found this was a “free gift” and was given tracking info for the real thing and it duly arrived yesterday.

I’m still miffed they sent out a separate parcel with something I did not want yet would not accept my first two reasonable offers.

I did say thanks, but pointedly remarked that I would have appreciated, much more, if they had not wasted that ‘free” item - valued at about eight quid on their site - and just accepted a few extra quid off the printer.

Straws will either go to grandchildren or in the bin as we don’t use them.

Neil Wyatt29/01/2020 10:51:29
17064 forum posts
690 photos
76 articles
Posted by geoff walker 1 on 27/01/2020 21:13:28:

Hi Neil

The error is at the head of your link to the 1956 original martin cleeve articles in M.E.

The ones for the myford lathe

Geoff

Yes, but I can't find that article! Can you give me a link to the article?

Thanks

Neil

Neil Wyatt29/01/2020 10:56:50
17064 forum posts
690 photos
76 articles

Ah, found it.

The errors in the PDF itself NOT the page you download it.

I'll add the correct issues to eh download page.

Neil

geoff walker 129/01/2020 14:13:19
368 forum posts
145 photos

Sorry Neil,

My fault, not making myself clear.

The volume number on the PDF is correct but not the issues.

I've had some nice responses from members, thank you to all.

Keith Long sent me a really crisp and clear PDF copy of the original articles

Thanks again

Geoff

Sue Stefanik30/01/2020 16:49:52
2 forum posts

Hi Geoff,

I am currently clearing my dad's house, he had an enormous collection of Model Engineers going back to 1953, I am looking to sell them, if you are interested. His collection starts at volume 108 (1953) and goes to volume 204. I will be putting an advertisement in the classifieds.

Sue

geoff walker 110/02/2020 11:21:57
368 forum posts
145 photos

Hi All'

In the first post in this thread I mentioned that I was planning a rack feed for the tailstock on my lathe.

The lathe is a 1948 Myford built Drummond M type.

I will need to make a new barrel 7/8" diameter which will have to be drilled right through 3/8" dia, have a one morse taper machined, a key slot cut and a rack cut (probably 20dp).

My first thoughts were to use silver steel principally because of it's dimensional accuracy but are there better options where I will still have the same dimensional accuracy but easier to machine than s/s.?

I was taking some sizes from the rear end of the tailstock and removed the barrel at the same time. After 72 years use this barrel is still a perfect fit in the c.i. body of the tailstock, not a sign of wear. What material did myford use or use now for that matter for the tailstock barrel, anyone know?

Finally, for now, HPC sell heavy duty gears which are made from either en8, en24 or en36. Dimensionally the gear is good but I will probably have to modify it, enlarging the bore size and reducing the diameter of the boss. Anyone any thoughts on the choices above? I have used en8 and found it great to machine but is the material durable enough for what is know a hobby use lathe?

As you have probably gathered guys I have only a rudimentary knowledge of materials, any help guidance always appreciated.

Atb Geoff

JasonB10/02/2020 12:58:26
17056 forum posts
1839 photos
1 articles

geoff, you may be better of with Precision Ground Mild Steel (PGMS) which has a good ground finish and is easy to machine, thread etc. EKP and M-Machine both do it by the foot.

geoff walker 110/02/2020 14:47:12
368 forum posts
145 photos

Hi Jason,

thanks for the reply.

I noticed M machine had the ground bar but was concerned that M.S. was not durable enough for the job.

Having said that I took a small file to test the hardness of the original barrel ( only on the end where it does no harm) and it files easily so it is probably a low carbon steel similar if not the same as M.S..

Any thoughts on the HPC gears, EN8 would now seem a good choice. I can't use the standard gears in M.S. as the tooth length is too short, has to be the heavy duty.

Thanks again Geoff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest