Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Superglue chucks

How hot to release?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Iain Downs26/01/2020 19:31:55
555 forum posts
444 photos

I've been using superglue wax chucks recently (mainly on the mill) and it works well most of the time.

The first couple of goes I tapped the piece from the side and it came off nicely. Not happened since.

Now I use heat. Specifically the oven, but I suspect I'm overdoing it. I've been running the oven at 200+ centigrade which certainly does the trick, but it stinks (and SWMBO isn't keen).

I'm struggling to work out how hot it should be. I've used a blowtorch and the oven, but suspect I'm overdoing it. I like the idea of the oven (particularly for big parts) as it is more controllable.

Iain

John Haine26/01/2020 20:20:28
2833 forum posts
141 photos

Iain, I have been using a related technique for both wood routing and CNC milling recently. Clean the syrfaces, carefully apply a layer of the high quality blue Scotch masking tape to each, making sure there are no overlaps or gaps. Smooth down the tape and get rid of any air bubbles. Then apply dots of superglue to one surface and carefully apply the other on top of it, pressing together until they bond. Once the job is done, with a bit of care you can lever off the cut part with a knife blade inserted between one surface and the tape.

Now for another suggestion. When I did this recently after I applied the glue I put down the workpiece the wrong way up, so it was glued firmly to the tape! I prised it off but the "top" was covered with hardened glue and torn tape. I stuck it down properly the other way up to do the job but was then faced with removing the mess. So I dropped in into a stainless steel pan, just covered with water, and boiled for a couple of minutes. The glue just slid off leaving a clean surface behind.

This suggests that 100 C should be plenty hot enough.

Edited By John Haine on 26/01/2020 20:21:17

Neil Lickfold27/01/2020 07:42:44
583 forum posts
102 photos

It depends on the super glue being used. There are higher temp super glues that will hold to about 150 c or so, and others can only hold to 100c to 110c.

not done it yet27/01/2020 08:15:29
3931 forum posts
15 photos

Carry out a simple series of tests to find out (starting at a low temperature, of course)?

Mark Rand27/01/2020 18:09:35
849 forum posts

Hit it with a heavier hammer. Use a block of wood between hammer and work to avoid damage, if needed.

Neil Lickfold28/01/2020 08:57:04
583 forum posts
102 photos

Sometimes freezing can remove super glues as well. Tap it with a piece of wood and hammer while still frozen.

It just takes longer unless you have dry ice handy.

Neil

Edited By Neil Lickfold on 28/01/2020 08:57:44

Iain Downs31/01/2020 16:36:11
555 forum posts
444 photos

The heavier hammer was, naturally, my first thought. But the glue was too strong - or I was too weak.

I tried the testing approach, but I'm not sure what my results meant. I started at 110 centigrade and after an hour tried to knock the part off sideways. Didn't move. Then another hour at 140. Also didn't move, but when i lifted it, it came off fairly easily. So 110 might have worked if I'd levered it up.

I will however, try the blue scotch masking tape approach which seems to be much less cumbersome - does anyone know if colours other than blue or brands other than scotch will also work? My local B&Q doesn't stock it.

Iain

not done it yet31/01/2020 18:41:47
3931 forum posts
15 photos

Now I use heat. Specifically the oven, but I suspect I'm overdoing it. I've been running the oven at 200+ centigrade which certainly does the trick, but it stinks (and SWMBO isn't keen).

Your series of tests (but sadly only 2?) clearly demonstrated the futility of soaking at 200 degrees Celsius?

I doubt that anything metallic will need soaking at temperature for an hour to raise i temperature by 30 degrees, as most metals are good conductors of heat and the size is not excessive.

Somewhere between 110 and 140 would seem to be adequate. It worked, presumably no stink - so what is the problem?

KISS principle; if it works, use it; if it ain’t broke why fix it?

They all come to mind.

Iain Downs01/02/2020 09:28:33
555 forum posts
444 photos

Thanks NDY.

The time period was mandated more by the lengths of episodes of House than any scientific approach. I've been working on the 1 hour per inch which I've read in this forum when soaking metal.

However, it would be nice not to have to wait for an hour or risk the wrath of you know who if there is a smell. So the Blue Scotch Masking tape is an approach I would like to experiment with. Or beige b&q masking tape if anyone thinks that will work.

Iain

John Baron01/02/2020 09:40:56
155 forum posts
62 photos

Hi Guys,

I've used various methods for sticking items to a wax chuck ! Super glue works well as does double sided tape. I've never had any problem removing parts. A sharp wood chisel works well and easily removes any glue or tape residue.

Soft parts like fibre ones, you do have to take a lot more care over removing. It you aren't very careful you can split the material. One dodge that I use with those is to stick a paper backing on first then the part. Hot water will soak off the paper.

Michael Gilligan01/02/2020 09:49:51
14764 forum posts
635 photos

Unfortunately; this is getting to be like one of those ‘Loctite’ discussions, where the specific product detail has been lost, and so we are guessing.

As a broad generalisation ‘Blue’ masking tapes are low-tack, and cleanly removable.

This range has some decent product descriptions: **LINK**

https://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/shop/product/search?searchword=kip+masking+tape&page=1

As for B&Q own-brand offerings:

I suspect that we might be “Spoiling the Ship fo a ha’porth of Tar” ... but I haven’t done comparative tests, so I don’t know.

MichaelG.

John Haine01/02/2020 11:27:31
2833 forum posts
141 photos

My local B&Q stocks the blue Scotch tape - that's where I got it from.

**LINK**

not done it yet01/02/2020 12:27:00
3931 forum posts
15 photos

I've been working on the 1 hour per inch which I've read in this forum when soaking metal.

Really? Try holding a 75mm length of 25mm aluminium bar, about 50mm from the end, and dip the other in nearly boiling water - and check just how long it takes for your end to get too hot to hold! It will not be two hours!🙂

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest