By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Telescopic tube locking collar advice needed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ady Wilson25/01/2020 19:38:05
41 forum posts
14 photos

I want to make a locking collar similar to those found on telescopic tubes/poles. Examples being mops and paint roller extensions for painting ceilings. I need it to be a twist type where the tube can be extended then locked in position with a quick turn of the collar. I have been scouring google but cant find any good info on how they work, has anyone made or knows of a simple design and could give me some pointers to information? I would greatly appreciate it.



Michael Gilligan25/01/2020 19:54:06
16202 forum posts
706 photos

Think of a bicycle handlebar stem ... slightly tapered plug and a screw thread.

It’s the same general idea.

Alternatively you can use a split collet, like on some photographic tripod legs.

If you don’t get it, I will take a photo tomorrow.



Or you could look at this:

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 25/01/2020 19:58:51

old mart25/01/2020 19:57:47
1913 forum posts
151 photos

I have just googled "locking mechanism for telescopic tube" and got some hits, try it.

Ady Wilson26/01/2020 20:06:35
41 forum posts
14 photos

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it. Yeah I can see the general idea from the drawings. I will have a go, I have some acetal rod to make the fittings from.

Derek Lane26/01/2020 20:56:12
337 forum posts
75 photos

I have one of THESE for my woodturning so that I can buy unhandled tools and use the same handle, just pop the tool in the handle and twist it works on the same principle as a collet does

He sells the twist part but you may need to make the other. There are companies that make the complete twist mechanism but at the moment cant remember who

Edited By Derek Lane on 26/01/2020 20:58:38

not done it yet27/01/2020 09:01:08
4889 forum posts
20 photos

Invariably(?), round tubes use a twist mechanism and square tube relies on a lever arrangement - unless a sliding system is employed. Looking at ‘hose-lock’ type connectors for garden hoses might provide some inspiration, but they are likely very similar to mops and paint roller handles.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest