Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Cenetc 2A Horizontal Arbor

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
martin cross 124/01/2020 22:32:27
17 forum posts
9 photos

I've dismantled the beast including the knee off, I've fitted an emergency stop button to the stand for peace of mind. One thing I can't budge is the arbor, drawbar is loose and it sits on a 2MT but a few whacks with a lead hammer doesn't do anything and I don't want to hit any harder. The MT2 on the lathe is a quick tap and it falls out.

Any ideas well received.

I've put a pic of the slides on the knee as I believe it shows that they were scraped when built, which the book of words said happened.

knee slide scraped.jpg

Simon Williams 325/01/2020 00:01:53
508 forum posts
80 photos

At your local plumbing supplies or builders merchant, buy an aerosol can of pipe freezer. Empty the whole can over the arbour, concentrating on the inboard end.

Promptly (while the arbor is still cold0 give the (loosened) drawbar a sharp rap on the knuckles with a proper hammer. No point at this stage in using a soft faced hammer, it's got serious. Make sure the drawbar is still engaged with the thread in the tail of the arbour -- you don't want to wreck the thread on the end of the drawbar, that just creates another level of complication.

Hit it like you mean it. A club hammer (2 lbs) might be overdoing it, but we're not playing pat-a-cake here.

Hopefully the little blighter will oblige. If not, rinse and repeat.

Good luck

Simon

Dave Wootton25/01/2020 03:03:05
61 forum posts
8 photos

To avoid too much bashing and possible bearing damage, you could try fitting a piece of tube, old scaffold pole or gas barrel, over the arbour as a spacer then use the nut that secures the cutter on the end of the arbour to form a sort of extractor.

By using the spacer and arbour nut to push against the face of the spindle, hopefully it should exert a straight and even pull on the arbour to help break the taper and not put any strain on the bearings.

Thinking about it you could use a combination of the existing arbour spacers, thick washer and a short piece of tube, as long as it clears the morse taper and abuts on the spindle face it should serve, Threaded pipe fittings can be a useful source of tube for spacers, cheap, easily available in a range of sizes, might need to face both ends first.

Good Luck!

Dave

not done it yet25/01/2020 05:11:50
4648 forum posts
16 photos

I easily and simply remove the arbor from my 2B with a pair of wedges. Arceuro sell them if you can’t make them(check for fit).

Edited By not done it yet on 25/01/2020 05:14:30

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest